Harmony test

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Is it worth having this done? I have opted to have the nuchal translucency "combined" test done on the NHS as part of my 12 week/dating scan. Harmony is still only a screening test. It would need to be followed up with a diagnostic test (amniocentesis or CVS) if it categorises me as high risk. I wanted to avoid the diagnostic tests as I am worried about the risk of miscarriage.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Postitnote I didn't have any tests done, apart from the 20 week anomaly scan.

I think the decision is up to each individual and there's no right answer. It might help to think about whether the Harmony test will relax you or stress you - that is, will it worry you unnecessarily? Will you trust the result? Would you be happy to have an amnio?

If it were to come back as high risk and you didn't want an amnio, would that then ruin the rest of the pregnancy for you?

I think we all have our own views and all you can do is think and be clear what your view is :)

Edited to add that if you wanted to avoid the tests, are you feeling under pressure to have them now then?

Reactions: 4 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Not feeling under any pressure. It's just the type of person that I am - I am a stresshead! I am so frightened all of the time and am worried about the risk of miscarriage with amnio or CVS so, want to avoid having either unless absolutely necessary. Harmony says it's 99% accurate and has fewer false positives than the NTT so I would trust the result more and hopefully avoid any unnecessary (and risky) diagnostic tests.

I don't think anything is going to stop me worrying. :p I'm the sort of person who worries if I find myself not worried about anything! :)

It's nice to worry on screen, in a forum, rather than in real life though. I know if I spoke to my mum or my husband, they'll just start to worry too.... right. I'm off to buy some size 12 jeans as indulging my cravings for baked means has meant I have grown out of my current clothes!

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I identify with the worrying! I think pregnancy is a worrying time anyway - for any woman. I don't think it's possible to ever get rid of the worry because some worry is good - it shows you care and are aware of things.

Just remind yourself that most babies are absolutely fine :)

Katy1980

Its a very personal choice. For me this time I opted for harmony as i spent my last pregnancy worried about the growth of my child. Everything turned out fine but there was a suspicion of growth restriction and several syndromes. I just couldn't face going through it again as i didn't enjoy the pregnancy and was on bed rest for 4months which took its roll on me mentally. This time, that simple test really put.me at ease. It doesn't cover everything but can give an indication of high/low risk for 4/5 syndromes.

If I could give you any advice it would be to enjoy your pregnancy and be gentle.to.yourself x