Has anyone else seen this 'Appalling' type 2 diabetes advert?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x

It was just released I think. I saw it on twitter.

Apparently it was considered to very offensive.... thoughts?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought it was a poor advert but I didn't find it particularly offensive. It was just weak and made me feel awkward watching that poor child.

It did come across as quite crass and simplistic though.

Reactions: Freema

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It generated a huge amount of Daily Mail Outrage and has since been changed. In the 24 hours since it was released. Diabetes UK piled in to complain as well.

Seriously poorly thought through advert that could so easily be misunderstood by the general public.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Yes I do agree that it's in poor taste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So this is about getting type 2 diabetes ?? whoever came up with this advert, needs sacking, as it shows no intelligence or sensitivity.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I've no idea what she's saying, is it about 'mumbling'?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK .. this has to be one of the more stupid sides of diabetes awareness I have seen in a long time.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've no idea what she's saying, is it about 'mumbling'?
I also had trouble understanding what was being said. After the 3rd time through I think I had worked it out and I am not sure what point they were really trying to get over except "stop treating your children with treats like a dog doing tricks".

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I also had trouble understanding what was being said. After the 3rd time through I think I had worked it out and I am not sure what point they were really trying to get over except "stop treating your children with treats like a dog doing tricks".

Well I'd agree with that, I hate the way dogs prostitute themselves for a biscuit. I lose all respect for them. You can't get a cat to do that.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I have ever seen a parent feeding a child one square at a time as a bribe. Mind you, it's an idea.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
28 cubes - 28 jobs done ;) should have though of that when mine were growing up

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
English isn't my native language and they aren't talking like Patrick Stewart, I found really difficult what is said in that ad...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
English isn't my native language and they aren't talking like Patrick Stewart, I found really difficult what is said in that ad...
I'll translate as I'm Scottish:

"ALL TYPE 2 DIABETICS ARE FAT AND INFERTILE".

At least that's what I took from the advert. Total waste of time. All this advert raises awareness to is incorrect information surrounding the condition.

I'm sure lots of middle men made a lot of money though.

On the flip side, this sort of hard hitting advertisement is what has to be done for self inflicted obesity. It just should be done without involving diabetes.

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
couldn't understand the accent not good for a person who's English is second language.

S

Shar67

Gentle cough
Here is the translation for non Scottish ears
Mum...Go on tell them
Shakes head
Daughter ...When I'm older being overweight will affect my confidence
Mum...And
Daughter...I'm more likely to get diabetes....and having children might be harder
Mum...I'm so proud of her
Voice over...the more treats and unhealthy snacks we eat, the more problems we'll have in later life.

Being Scottish myself I think they missed a huge point, forget treats and snacks, let's look at meals and a whole myriad of sugar laden food served up and also the general lack of exercise children in Scotland have.

Reactions: RAPS_od and Indy51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I speak Australian (I know some of you don't think that's English, lol) - but I couldn't understand a word the kid said either o_O

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I struggled to understand that. lol. I'm Australian. But yeh agree... very stupid ad. I'm sick of this business of saying lifestyle is the only risk factor to getting type 2 diabetes. It's one of them, idiots.

Reactions: RAPS_od

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't find it offensive.

I DO find it absurd.
Mum is proud of daughter troughing chocolate while talking about being fat and lacking in confidence in later life?

Kids that age just absorb the 'lessons' they are exposed to, by parents, friends and at school.
Comprehension comes much later.