Has anyone else seen this 'Appalling' type 2 diabetes advert?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brunneria Yes, it's a clumsy, silly way to imply that the mother is a bit daft too, not realising what she's doing feeding her daughter chocolate. Stupid and patronising.

The whole advert doesn't ring true anyway. It makes it look like Mum is practically forcefeeding the child.

If that ad is the final product, you have to,wonder how bad the previous efforts were.

eunice61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The doctor who originally diagnosed me as diabetic acknowledged that what really matters is if you already have diabetic relatives. Very large people can go through life without getting diabetes while very slim people can still get type 2. It all depends on genetics. Mind you, if the govmint had not decided to make diabetes an issue, I would not have been diagnosed. I went for decades trying to get a doctor to listen to me and they refused to believe it. Not until the gov started going on about it. So it's not eating that causes it, it's the government! :joyful:

Shaggy_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, this won't be popular! I think the advert is being ironic. It is pointing out that adults with obesity have a higher chance of, amongst other things, becoming type 2. This may not be the only cause, there are many other reasons that can be responsible. However, being overweight does increase your chances of getting type 2. It's not saying you will get it, just that it's more likely. It also mentions other things that may occur if you are overweight, such as lack of confidence. In the end this is not a advert about diabetes, it is an advert about being overweight. It seems to be me that too many who have diabetes jump on anything that mentions it with an "oh not again" attitude. However, this advert is not claiming that type 2 diabetes is caused by being overweight, it is merely saying that being overweight is not good for you in a number of ways. The child talking through cotton wool doesn't help, but don't please don't think that anything that mentions diabetes is necessarily about diabetes. The idea is to show the public, who are not as stupid as some like to think, that it is easy for parents to fall into habits that cause bad effects later in life. It isn't showing a real situation, it is demonstrating an attitude, that many parents seem to have, that rewarding your kids with things that are basically bad for them over time are not clever. At least the advert has got noticed, and, although the main message seems to have been totally ignored by those on this forum, it does get a message across "stop making your kids think chocolate (and therefore all nice sweet things) are a reward. Rant over, coffee time now!

S

Shar67

@Shaggy_dog, I think we all got that but this is a Scottish advert and Scottish diet is generally not good, lots of sugar or high carb foods. So even if you take away the treats and snacks, the food served at meals isn't helping. The ad could have been done so much better. Feeding your children fast food or takeaway food as a treat for being good is just as bad as chocolate and sweets.

Shaggy_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shar67

Hi Shar, I'm not sure that everyone does get it. It seems that there are some on this forum who have missed the point of the advert, and only seem to see the reference to type 2 diabetes, and come out with the old "type 2 is not caused by being overweight" argument. Although I agree that being overweight does not necessarily cause type 2, and that you can get type 2 even if you are not overweight, there is much evidence to show that if you are overweight then you have a higher chance of getting type 2.

Also, although this advert shows sweets being given as a reward, it is not saying this in the only cause of overweightness, but is showing how the causes can slip under the radar, and that you can miss the things that may eventually lead to being overweight. As far as I can see this is a "comic book" scene in which you are shown someone not thinking about their actions, which is a huge cause of children being overweight. It may not be a great advert, especially as you cannot hear half the words being spoken, but it puts across a point which is implicit but not specifically mentioned - watch what you give to your child as reward, or they will go on to think that sugary treats are good, as reward and as a reminder of their dear mother. I would rather this was there than nothing.

I don't know the Scottish diet well enough to say anything about it, apart from the fact that the Scottish people I know seem to be in good health and eat a fine diet, but generalisations are always risky!

And yes, feeding your kids fast food as a treat is just as bad, but isn't as insidious as "one square won't hurt!" being repeated over and over . . .

I think we probably agree, but are coming from different angles! I mean it seems that the main news at the moment is about the making of sugar and fat filled delicacies being made on tv!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I couldnt hear what the kid was saying I had to turn my speakers up and replay the clip 4 or 5 times and I still cant get one word at the beginning, so yes a terrible advert.

As for trying to reinforce the message to parents that they should not feed their little lovelies snacks all the time I think its a good message.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The complaints were mainly from the parents of Type 1 children, as it didn't specify Type 2 diabetes. They were worried about bullying from other children. They now have a wee asterix at the bottom of the screen saying 'Refers to Type 2 Diabetes'

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, this won't be popular! I think the advert is being ironic. It is pointing out that adults with obesity have a higher chance of, amongst other things, becoming type 2. This may not be the only cause, there are many other reasons that can be responsible. However, being overweight does increase your chances of getting type 2. It's not saying you will get it, just that it's more likely. It also mentions other things that may occur if you are overweight, such as lack of confidence. In the end this is not a advert about diabetes, it is an advert about being overweight. It seems to be me that too many who have diabetes jump on anything that mentions it with an "oh not again" attitude. However, this advert is not claiming that type 2 diabetes is caused by being overweight, it is merely saying that being overweight is not good for you in a number of ways. The child talking through cotton wool doesn't help, but don't please don't think that anything that mentions diabetes is necessarily about diabetes. The idea is to show the public, who are not as stupid as some like to think, that it is easy for parents to fall into habits that cause bad effects later in life. It isn't showing a real situation, it is demonstrating an attitude, that many parents seem to have, that rewarding your kids with things that are basically bad for them over time are not clever. At least the advert has got noticed, and, although the main message seems to have been totally ignored by those on this forum, it does get a message across "stop making your kids think chocolate (and therefore all nice sweet things) are a reward. Rant over, coffee time now!

:)
If the parents are so stupid as to be doing the things in that ad, then they are far too stupid to pick up on the convoluted irony you suggest.

Yes, you may be right (we would have to be inside the heads of the advert makers to know their intentions), but whether you are, or are not, it is a badly made, badly written, advert. The mere fact there are all these different comments and interpretations on this thread proves it.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with it is it gives people the impression that if you cut oit sweet treats you wont get diabetes which we know isnt true, bread, rice and pasta arnt sweet treats but they contribute greatly to high BS.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
I find this advert offensive because it doesnt distinguish between the different types of diabetes and the often hidden reasons why people get diabetes. A few bits of chocolate does not mean someone will get either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It makes my blood boil because the ad is so simplistic. People still ask my Mum whether I got diabetes because I ate too many sweets!!! Ive been diabetic for 46 years now and since the 1970s, uninformed attitudes still persist!

Reactions: azure and noblehead
S

Shar67

I think my panc was ruined by love, my mum would ask how much I loved her and I would say a bag of sugar honey (don't ask) she would reply I love you 2 bags of sugar honey. She asked that question way to often I had to much love.;)

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shaggy_dog, I think we all got that but this is a Scottish advert and Scottish diet is generally not good, lots of sugar or high carb foods. So even if you take away the treats and snacks, the food served at meals isn't helping. The ad could have been done so much better. Feeding your children fast food or takeaway food as a treat for being good is just as bad as chocolate and sweets.
I agree that this advert could have been made much better, As a Scotsman and having reached the age of 45, and been brought up on home-made well balanced meals, and also having lived in england for several years of my adult life. It must have been my exercise regime and healthy eating that made me contract Type 1 Diabetes in Feb this year

Last edited:
S

Shar67

@delmcp scottish diet is well documented to be one of the poorest, as is the fact that there is a large amount of poverty in Scotland and your more likely to die younger than English counterparts The ad makers issued a statement to say they should have said type 2 diabetes (that doesn't make it better) and have now pulled ad.
If there isn't a problem why do they need an ad
A study has also shown you are more likely to become diabetic if you are Scottish rather than English
Did I mention I'm Scottish, grew up eating a well balanced diet, sweets were a very occasional treat, I can count on one hand how many times I was given fizzy ginger, have never eaten a McDonald's meal.
My dad took part in a study to help older Scots eat a better diet, he is weight, height appropriate, the nurse came to house to check what foods he had in. She was very happy to see that he didn't have any tinned or processed food, had plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. That is how I was brought up, an apple will fill you up better than a milky bar. All meals made from scratch and unless you are having a picnic, or bbq don't eat outside
I'm also insulin dependant diabetic not through having a poor diet, it still doesn't stop the fact that the Scottish diet in general is poor.
I know plenty of people who had a piece with sugar or bag of sugar doughnuts for lunch, deep fried pizza anyone.

Reactions: delmcp

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Kids that are constantly unhealthy snacks might develop problems in later life, including type 2 diabetes, infertility and obesity. Isn't this true?

I am a type 3c diabetic, started off as type 2, then had a couple of bouts of pancreatitis which have reduced my insulin production, my mother in law is a type 2 insulin dependent, my sister in law is a type 2 insulin dependent. My son is 8 - I believe he has a good chance of getting diabetes because of the trend in my family from both sides. My mother in law feeds him rubbish - I get very upset with this. I would rather eat better choices.

Surely eating loads of chocolate and stuff as a kid increases the risk of getting type 2 diabetes, and there is nothing wrong with expressing this? Sorry if I sound like a troll, I am not - but eating loads of chocolate and sweet snacks I am sure will increase the risk of someone developing type 2 diabetes? I know it isn't the only reason, but it is an advert about unhealthy snacking - and diabetes is one of the risks right?

S

Shar67

@992947x the ad said diabetes not type 2, they have pulled ad as message wasn't was clear.
Yes sweets, chocolate and unhealthy snacking (what is that) is not good, but unhealthy meals and food are just as bad.
If you never eat sweets but are having deep fried pizza for dinner that isn't going to do you any good.
Portion control is another thing, if you are eating what you believe to be a good diet but are eating enough for 3 people your not doing yourself any favours.
The eat well plate should be an eat on a smaller plate, some plates and glasses are huge and there seems to be a need to fill them all the way

Reactions: dandy78

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very unfortunate and very stereo typed.Having a bar of chocolate is not going to give you type 2 in later life especially my grand daughter who does 5k runs for fun and loves a bit of chocolate as well. Certainly poor lifestyle can be a contributing factor,So can hereditary ,shift work (unsocial hours), Poor sleep( Under 7 hours a night ).So to isolate it to one thing is naive on the part of the person who put the add together