Has this advice worked for anyone??

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your tempeh seems to have a completely different breakdown than mine: https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi232355/ah-tempeh
Besides, yours gives the breakdown per 167 grams instead of per 100, which makes for a very hard calculation.

Walking off 1 cup of the stuff? Do you mean calories? People need calories to sustain them or we would starve. Calories aren't even mentioned in the opening post so I don't get where that comes in.
If you mean walking off the carbs, at 5.5 grams per 100 grams it fully counts as a low carb food.
The website I copied from was CalorieKing, which gives a clue as to what they were talking about. In relation to your last point, it is technically correct, but someone on keto diet would probably think 5,5% to be at the upper limit of carb acceptability, and anyway, is it feasible that 100g of tempeh is a viable portion size? As an omnivore, I find a nice animal based protein product to be vastly superior in both taste texture and carbcount, so I will continue to swallow my ethics while I can.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bigu like veganism is also a spiritual or ethical matter

That you would have to a Taoist I am not one I merely was pointing out that tofu was not invented to avoid meat but grains although some Taoists are vegetarians not all are.

Personally I am not that fond of either except of course for baked beans which I have not eaten in a long while.

Taoist generally adhere to the Yin Yang principle of balance.

Yin foods are believed to be cool and thought to moisten your body. Yang foods are believed to be warm and drying.
The yin or yang characteristics of a certain food have less to do with its actual temperature or moisture level than its purported energy properties and effects on your body.
"Cool" or yin foods are generally low in calories and high in potassium. They’re recommended in hot weather. "Hot" or yang foods tend to be higher in calories and sodium. They’re recommended in colder months to help warm your body.

Common yin foods include:
soy products, such as tofu and soybean sprouts
certain meats, such as crab and duck
fruit, such as watermelon and star fruit
vegetables, such as watercress, cucumbers, carrots, and cabbage
cold drinks and water
Common yang foods include:
most foods that are high in fat, protein, calories, and sodium
certain meats, such as chicken, pork, and beef
warm spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
eggs, glutinous rice, sesame oil, bamboo, and mushrooms
alcoholic beverages

Sounds like a macrobiotic diet ?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My container of fresh tofu is 227 grams and only 3 carbs total. My other container of silken tofu is 349 grams and 8 carbs.

Dr Bernard is well respected and known in the USA as a way to improve your health. He teaches and is a consultant for a variety of groups. His carb and low fat approach along with Mastering Diabetes carb and low fat approach is not isolated to just them as a way to deal with blood sugar issues.

He is not just known for diabetes.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The OP has raised a question that is asked many times a year on this forum, Indeed, as I write, there is a parallel thread running concurrent with this one. One thing all these threads have in common apart from the Q&A is that I cannot recall any member posting a success testimonial in the thread that they had previously been T2 and were now in remission. In contrast, there are numerous instances of members reporting remission using a variety of diets from Low Carb, Ultra Low Calorie, even Mediterranean ans South Beach diets and I know because I too was declared to be in clinical remission myself earlier this year and I was happy and proud to share my news with the forum members. This lack of fanfare heralded successes may be due to one of 2 things (1) the claims made for the vegan WOE do not hold water in regard to the claims for T2D or (2) the vegan WOE is so successful that no vegan T2D's exist and hence will not be needing to visit this forum. Is there another explanation?

Sadly I do have to report that after my seemingly miraculous remission this year, I had to have a major operation that clobbered my pancreas and kidneys so they stopped working for a while. I have recovered from that, but it meant that I was placed on insulin and my bgl has yo-yo'ed since. I am creeping slowly back on track, and am down to a low dose of Metformin, and my HbA1c last week was 46, so I am close again, but cannot claim remission at the moment. So I am currently a T2D omnivore on orals and lifestyle and my GP is very pleased with my annual review last week. A cat has 9 lives it is said, not sure how many I got left but still around to annoy everyone.

My point is that being told officially that one is in remission by the NHS HCP's is a such a wonderful feeling that one would find it difficult to keep to ones self and not shout it from the rooftops, So I find the silence in these threads to be very telling.

Reactions: Speedbird

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I too went through the Success Stories thread from end to end, and had a similar null pointes conclusion. People in control but no remissions being declared for T2D. Maybe my post here will prompt some responses to that effect.

I just found this comment on youtube on one of the videos at Low Carb Downunder. I've seen more videos like this too of people who explain what happened to their bodies after years on a vegan or sometimes vegetarian diet.
"The Ketogenic diet saved my health and quality of life after the vegan diet devastated my body. I watched the documentaries “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead” and “Forks over Knives” and they put me on a road that led my through the worst period of my life for my physical and mental health. I experienced extreme acne, rashes, and other dermatological problems for the first time in my life that was miserable, painful, and mortifyingly embarrassing. Gastrointestinal conditions like IBS made my life hell. Developed sensitivities to foods that I loved, occasionally nearly resulting in anaphylaxis. Disproportionate body fat distribution, loss of muscle mass, fatigue, depression, severe mood swings and anger, hair loss and graying, nearly no testosterone left near the end, ED, and far too many more to continue listing in a comment. Like so many other people, I trusted these people. We were all overtly led to believe that their education, knowledge, experience, research, and studies led to their absolute conclusions, and their dietary recommendations could only be beneficial and healthy, the holy grail of diets, with profound results that include anything and everything positive up to and including preventing and curing cancer and other terminal diseases. As a result, many of us made dietary and other health related decisions based on their medical claims and recommendations that directly caused a tremendous amount of damage to my health. The core of their manipulation and misinformation is their misattribution of the consequences of sugar and other processed carbs to animal fats and meats. It’s destructive and disgusting."

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cocosilk

I am rather uncomfortable with the tone of some of this post. Although I do recognise that the written word sometimes makes it difficult to appreciate the writer’s intentional tone.

for example, you seem to be making sweeping generalisations about vegans based on a couple of examples, and calling them ‘deluded’ as a result. Clearly your sample is too small to draw any such conclusion, and I remind you that this forum is for everyone, including members who make different lifestyle and eating choices from your own, some of whom are vegan - and who are entitled to use the forum without having such comments aimed at them.

In fact, we even have a group of forum rules intended to prevent members from making judgemental, hostile ‘us and them’ style posts about those who make different lifestyle choices.

There is a link to the forum rules if you wish to familiarise yourself with them.

ed. For clarity and by a mod to edit quoted text

I apologise if my comment offends anyone. I don't at all mean to be hostile. I actually feel more like I want to help people who might be on a path that could lead to negative consequences for their health. I've seen a lot of ex-vegans posting videos on youtube talking about what they believe the diet has done to their health. Some of them are so angry that they were lead into the diet because they feel they were somehow manipulated. I guess it's a bit like most of us who believed the food pyramid of high carb low fat eating was the right thing. I mean, I still don't know which is the best diet. I'm sure a few months of a vegan diet might actually be a good cleanse to the system and could really be helpful. But long term, I'm not so sure. But then again, it might depend on what health problems one already has. I still always thought humans had evolved to eat a bit of both plant and animal material.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would treat this information with a large pinch of salt, just as I do with the vegan glossies. I found it difficult to believe because although I recognise some of the reactions, there are too many and too piled up on each other to be credible. Most vegetarians seem to live reasonably healthy lives, but I do not know many vegans. I do remember watching a video of a WFPB annual convention in the USA, and sat there thinking to myself that people did seem to look quite ill. I have mainly met vegans who were macrobiotic (Ma PI diet) and they were certainly quite poorly and having way too many sickleaves from work, but the macrobiotic diet is known for that, and is not representative of modern vegans.

Scientific research recently published has shown a link between vegan diets today and low spermcounts and lowered libido. Another study ended up demonstrating that the incidence of diabetes in vegan circles is much the same as in the general populace. Vegan and vegetarian diets do seem to be beneficial for heart disease, but adverse for strokes. Overall life expectancy is not significantly affected either way. The all cause mortality for LCHF diet is better than most, including the low fat diets. These are from studies I found in PubMed archive.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28040519

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...chinas-farmers-can-survive-us-soybean-imports

Although cattle and sheep cannot digest large amounts of soybeans, A large amount of soybeans are used for pig food in China. More of it is being imported from Brazil and Argentina since tariffs were introduced in the US/China trade war. Rainforest and grasslands are being cleared to produce soybeans. The proportion eaten by people is relatively small.
Hi @Redshank , I don't know what country you are from, but that is not true for the UK. From a previous thread of mine:
UK Government statistics show that in 2015/16 total imports of soy beans, soy meal and soy oil totalled 3.1 million tonnes. Of this approximately:
  • 1.1 million tonnes (35%) was fed to livestock,
  • 1.42 million tonnes (45%) was used in food products for humans,
  • 0.58 million tonnes (18%) was used in non-food products.
There seems to be a persistent myth that soya is fed mainly to animals, whilst that may be true for the US, it is not applicable to the UK as we are fortunate to have a large amount of good pasture for our livestock.

Reactions: Flora123

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Redshank , I don't know what country you are from, but that is not true for the UK. From a previous thread of mine:
UK Government statistics show that in 2015/16 total imports of soy beans, soy meal and soy oil totalled 3.1 million tonnes. Of this approximately:
  • 1.1 million tonnes (35%) was fed to livestock,
  • 1.42 million tonnes (45%) was used in food products for humans,
  • 0.58 million tonnes (18%) was used in non-food products.
There seems to be a persistent myth that soya is fed mainly to animals, whilst that may be true for the US, it is not applicable to the UK as we are fortunate to have a large amount of good pasture for our livestock.

North Carolina soy producers published this for the US market. The two largest soya exporters are USA followed by Brazil. We are also seeing an increase of GMO soya supplying the fish farms and the meatless burger markets. These latter consumers represent a growing market for soya protein whereas it looks likely that the beef demand will fall to zero in the coming years in the light of climate change activity.
https://ncsoy.org/media-resources/uses-of-soybeans/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I would remind everyone that this is a thread on whether a vegan way of eating reverses t2 diabetes.
So discussions of soya imports and climate change are off topic and derailing.

Please stay on topic.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is that the term 'vegan diet' can cover a load of different food choices, some wise and some not. Likewise for any other blanket dietary terms.

I don't think the generalisation of a whole diet type is helpful.

It is, as I have said upthread, possible to eat a low carb and keto vegan diet. I can't see why that dietary choices would not work for some to reduce their blood sugar levels.

Reactions: Redshank

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria - accepting what you say but I would like to respond to @Rustypin to say I am from the UK but was discussing the export to China (I had hoped the linked article made that clear but apologies if it was not)
Feel free to delete this post if it derails the thread further

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing is that the term 'vegan diet' can cover a load of different food choices, some wise and some not. Likewise for any other blanket dietary terms.

I don't think the generalisation of a whole diet type is helpful.

It is, as I have said upthread, possible to eat a low carb and keto vegan diet. I can't see why that dietary choices would not work for some to reduce their blood sugar levels.
I believe that it is indeed possible to eat a keto and vegan diet, but the claim being made is that by converting to vegan a T2D can easily enter Remission from that condition. So far no one has presented any evidence in support of that claim from an independant and viable study.

My worry is that by converting to vegan, and not having the right training and support I may be exposing mysself to nutritional deficiencies that can be harmful to me. I mean, cardboard is vegan and keto compatible, grass is plant based, keto and vegan compatible, but neither will do me any good long term. The problem with the approach being made in the OP video is that it is hard sell making major health claims that the science is showing are not validated, and I do not want anyone to be mislead into this path unless they get proper advice.