Have to admit defeat.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My current favourite is extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and (not for @Guzzler) a couple of broken up Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.

Nice. I did on occasion, add to the nuts, cream and raisins, broken-up bits of Aldi's 85% dark chocolate, so was probably having something very similar to you.

Sometimes on top of all that I'd sprinkle 5 spice. That was for breakfast :) All 3 servings. I think just breakfast was enough to cause me to gain weight, never mind the rest of the day's food!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yep, double cream poured over mixed nuts with just 3 raisins for a bit of sweetness was like crack cocaine for me. As soon as I'd finished one 'serving' I'd make another. I gained weight very quickly which was a bad thing for me, but one person's problem could be another person's solution!

I would have the same problem but with sultanas.... now there's an idea!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guzzler - Have you tried the chorizo (or salami) crisps? They're a bit lighter than crackling, but also being DIY, at home, you can make as many, or as few as you like at any time.

I can make them curved, a bit like Pringles for scooping you guacamole, cream cheese, hummus or whatever, so they're very versatile.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler - Have you tried the chorizo (or salami) crisps? They're a bit lighter than crackling, but also being DIY, at home, you can make as many, or as few as you like at any time.

I can make them curved, a bit like Pringles for scooping you guacamole, cream cheese, hummus or whatever, so they're very versatile.

It's funny you should mention that. Half a dozen times I have asked family to buy salami (there isn't one I don't like) specifically so as to test the recipe. Every single time I have set out to bake them the salami has disappeared. I gave up in the end. As an aside, there are no keto/LCHF foods that my family do not like so far except for cauli rice.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's funny you should mention that. Half a dozen times I have asked family to buy salami (there isn't one I don't like) specifically so as to test the recipe. Every single time I have set out to bake them the salami has disappeared. I gave up in the end. As an aside, there are no keto/LCHF foods that my family do not like so far except for cauli rice.

You need one of these then. :):):)

fridge-lock-400.jpg

The only problem with the chorizo crisps is your family will want to snaffle them too!

In your shoes, I think I might take the package of salami lay each slice on a baking tray and put the tray in the freezer, so that all the slices frees individually, then bag/box them and hide them in the freezer.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You need one of these then. :):):)

fridge-lock-400.jpg

The only problem with the chorizo crisps is your family will want to snaffle them too!

In your shoes, I think I might take the package of salami lay each slice on a baking tray and put the tray in the freezer, so that all the slices frees individually, then bag/box them and hide them in the freezer.

Lol. I shall hide them behind the cauli rice.

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Guzzler, you strike me as a very well read and sharp person. Could this, coupled with your extraordinary results in just 4 months on LCHF, have your body reacting to it as stress? Stress hormones do strange things.

Whilst you are reviewing your diet, etc. and spring cleaning, perhaps you could look at your sleep patterns and ensure you are getting the most out of that rest period. Mindfulness excercises, meditation or NLP and old fashioned 40 winks to rest and reset the mind from busy activity can also produce beneficial physiological effects. It may not help, but it certainly can't hurt, and on that basis worth a punt.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello Guzzler, you strike me as a very well read and sharp person. Could this, coupled with your extraordinary results in just 4 months on LCHF, have your body reacting to it as stress? Stress hormones do strange things.

Whilst you are reviewing your diet, etc. and spring cleaning, perhaps you could look at your sleep patterns and ensure you are getting the most out of that rest period. Mindfulness excercises, meditation or NLP and old fashioned 40 winks to rest and reset the mind from busy activity can also produce beneficial physiological effects. It may not help, but it certainly can't hurt, and on that basis worth a punt.

Hello Runica. A potted history. Four health conditions, wheelchair bound (one way of getting out of the spring cleaning!), multiple symptoms which include sleep disturbance. Multiple medications and to top all that I am prone to stress.
I use yoga breathing and other techniques to aid sleep and relaxation.

Thank you for all the great suggestions, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's funny you should mention that. Half a dozen times I have asked family to buy salami (there isn't one I don't like) specifically so as to test the recipe. Every single time I have set out to bake them the salami has disappeared.
That's evil, on a par with my family stealing my emergency (anti hypo) boiled sweets that I used to keep in the car. Unless the reason that it disappeared was that you ate it? (In which case, just get them to buy double quantities. :) )

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's evil, on a par with my family stealing my emergency (anti hypo) boiled sweets that I used to keep in the car. Unless the reason that it disappeared was that you ate it? (In which case, just get them to buy double quantities. :) )

I do have a poor memory, now you come to mention it... ;)

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Guzzler, it would appear that we have quite a creative bunch when it comes to suggestions!! Reading them all made me hungry:) Especially the salami crisps:) Don't have anything else to add but wanted to send a hug and ask if you think we could try an adipose transplant between you and me??!!:):) That would solve both our problems and maybe make the news for our 15 minutes of fame?!Blessings/L

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I know you've already received about 67 million replies and I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll echo what some have suggested and it's what I did. Last December, I decided after losing weight to the point it was just no longer acceptable, I booked an appointment with my GP and I had suggested wanting to use insulin. I know that sounds crazy, but I'd lost weight and was finding it harder and harder to maintain bg levels over the last 3 years, not that they were bad. My A1C was 5.9.... but it was just getting so much harder and required so much more exercise to keep that level... but there were now too many times when spikes were way too high.

So, I had the c-peptide and fasting level done... the wait for the test was longest I'd ever had to sit for it, so blood was drawn about 13hrs after I last ate. My c-peptide was 0.3 and fasting was 6

My problem was the spikes after meals,were too high. Physically, lifting weights was part of my regimen and the lifts were getting lighter and lighter. I would be totally worn out for days after a routine that previously never had this effect. I was just run down hormone wise.

So, to cut a long story short, I stated on insulin. The fatigue went, my strength returned, I was no longer worn out. It had reversed these symptoms. My point is just don't let it get to the point I did. Get the c-peptide and fasting done. It should make the decision of what to do that much easier when you know what that pancreas is doing or not doing. It's not the end of the world to have to start on something. It was frustrating to have to start on insulin at first when you fight so hard to avoid it, but I don't regret it. Life has become so much richer again. I'm not saying you need insulin, but out of all the drugs available, it seems like a better choice then some of these oral ones. Especially when you are taking other medications, as we both are for other conditions. Interactions, both known and potentially unknown or rare are still something that must be considered.

Good luck. I hope you get things sorted out asap.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey @Guzzler, it would appear that we have quite a creative bunch when it comes to suggestions!! Reading them all made me hungry:) Especially the salami crisps:) Don't have anything else to add but wanted to send a hug and ask if you think we could try an adipose transplant between you and me??!!:):) That would solve both our problems and maybe make the news for our 15 minutes of fame?!Blessings/L

That did raise a chuckle, thank you. I will take your kind offer under advisement:D

Reactions: lindijanice

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know you've already received about 67 million replies and I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll echo what some have suggested and it's what I did. Last December, I decided after losing weight to the point it was just no longer acceptable, I booked an appointment with my GP and I had suggested wanting to use insulin. I know that sounds crazy, but I'd lost weight and was finding it harder and harder to maintain bg levels over the last 3 years, not that they were bad. My A1C was 5.9.... but it was just getting so much harder and required so much more exercise to keep that level... but there were now too many times when spikes were way too high.

So, I had the c-peptide and fasting level done... the wait for the test was longest I'd ever had to sit for it, so blood was drawn about 13hrs after I last ate. My c-peptide was 0.3 and fasting was 6

My problem was the spikes after meals,were too high. Physically, lifting weights was part of my regimen and the lifts were getting lighter and lighter. I would be totally worn out for days after a routine that previously never had this effect. I was just run down hormone wise.

So, to cut a long story short, I stated on insulin. The fatigue went, my strength returned, I was no longer worn out. It had reversed these symptoms. My point is just don't let it get to the point I did. Get the c-peptide and fasting done. It should make the decision of what to do that much easier when you know what that pancreas is doing or not doing. It's not the end of the world to have to start on something. It was frustrating to have to start on insulin at first when you fight so hard to avoid it, but I don't regret it. Life has become so much richer again. I'm not saying you need insulin, but out of all the drugs available, it seems like a better choice then some of these oral ones. Especially when you are taking other medications, as we both are for other conditions. Interactions, both known and potentially unknown or rare are still something that must be considered.

Good luck. I hope you get things sorted out asap.

Thank you. What you have said makes sense, all day long.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh but they look delish! And a new site to explore, thanks.

I thought there might be a chance there'd be enough cheese to go around. Yes, she's another decent LC'er blogger. I thnk I found her when looking for some different lunch ideas.

Enjoy!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
First suggestion tried (only because I had the ingredients easily to hand). Chopped nuts with three sultanas sprinkled over lightly whipped double cream. Yummy! It reminded me of a Mr, Whippy cone from the ice cream van.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First suggestion tried (only because I had the ingredients easily to hand). Chopped nuts with three sultanas sprinkled over lightly whipped double cream. Yummy! It reminded me of a Mr, Whippy cone from the ice cream van.

If I were going to try that, I'd be tempted to soak a few sultanas in rum or brandy for a couple of days beforehand, for extra yumminess.

Last edited: