Have to admit defeat.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have had some great responses already about getting tests done. Just a thought if your weight loss slowed with reducing metformin might it help to consider stopping it completely once you see how your HBA1C is doing?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You have had some great responses already about getting tests done. Just a thought if your weight loss slowed with reducing metformin might it help to consider stopping it completely once you see how your HBA1C is doing?
I was wondering that. Isn't metformin supposed to aid weight loss somewhat? (Just googled, it's a "maybe", over a very long period?). Here's hoping a decent set of blood results will show up something that's useful.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering that. Isn't metformin supposed to aid weight loss somewhat? (Just googled, it's a "maybe", over a very long period?). Here's hoping a decent set of blood results will show up something that's useful.

It is an appetite suppressant, so maybe stopping it, at least temporarily, might help.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I can’t really add much to what’s been said already, but wanted to send a hug x

Would it be worth trying fat bombs as snacks?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen some delicious fat bomb recipes but all of the ones I've checked out either have cacoa or sweeteners in them. I can't have chocolate and wouldn't use sweetener but I will search out any that are free from those ingredients.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

If I was ever getting the appetite suppressant side effect from Metformin it was well and truly cancelled out by the 'Gabapentin Munchies' as I call them. Thanks for the suggestion, though, it is definitely worth considering.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Guzzler
Sorry to it. I read your musings a lot. Some of this has been covered but maybe just getting back to the basics will help. May I ask how much you weigh and if you have worked out your BMI. You really need to work out just how many kJ or calories you need to maintain weight and then compare that to what you actually eat. If you eat less than your requirements you will lose weight.

The same thing happened to me when I cut down carbs. I dropped from 106 kg to 94 kg and started to get really worried. It wasn't until I got the daily requirements worked out and then accounted for what I was eating that I could see the problem. Turns out I was a whopping 4500 kJ too low. Consider that 1 kg of fat has 34000 kJ. At the rate I was eating being 4500 kJ too low per day I would lose 1 kg ever week ( 34000 / 4500 = 7.55 ). Now I'm 88 kg and have adjusted my intake to match what I need and it works well. Still on 60 g of carbs per day.
Have fun,
Glenn

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen some delicious fat bomb recipes but all of the ones I've checked out either have cacoa or sweeteners in them. I can't have chocolate and wouldn't use sweetener but I will search out any that are free from those ingredients.
There is a fat bomb recipe on diet doctor that doesn't have cacoa or sweeteners

75 g unsalted butter
125 ml unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom (green)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

From diet doctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/cinnamon-cardamom-fat-bombs

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not defeat, @Guzzler, it's a change of direction. I am sorry to hear you are struggling - I always read your calm and friendly posts - and wish I could give you some help and advice (I have the other side of the weight problem). There are savoury fat bomb recipes out there and these might be ok for you:

https://www.ruled.me/savory-pizza-fat-bombs/
https://www.ketovale.com/recipe/bacon-egg-avocado-savory-fat-bombs/
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/03/10/Savory-Mediterranean-Fat-Bombs

Best wishes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's not defeat, @Guzzler, it's a change of direction. I am sorry to hear you are struggling - I always read your calm and friendly posts - and wish I could give you some help and advice (I have the other side of the weight problem). There are savoury fat bomb recipes out there and these might be ok for you:

https://www.ruled.me/savory-pizza-fat-bombs/
https://www.ketovale.com/recipe/bacon-egg-avocado-savory-fat-bombs/
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/03/10/Savory-Mediterranean-Fat-Bombs

Best wishes.

Thanks, the savoury pizza fat bombs sound great.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was ever getting the appetite suppressant side effect from Metformin it was well and truly cancelled out by the 'Gabapentin Munchies' as I call them. Thanks for the suggestion, though, it is definitely worth considering.
weight loss is a rare, but know side effect for a few people taking gabapentin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
weight loss is a rare, but know side effect for a few people taking gabapentin.
Aye, lass, but I have been on it for years and my weight was stable until the onset of LCHF. Having said that, did the years of Gabapentin plus a high carb diet keep my weight stable, perhaps if I hadn't been taking the drug I may have become overweight, who knows? Perhaps when the dosage was raised about three years ago this tipped me over the edge?

I was a painfully thin child, a stick thin teenager and a slim/thin adult.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a painfully thin child, a stick thin teenager and a slim/thin adult.
@Guzzler Are you simply someone whose "normal" is right at the tail end of the normal distribution curve of population weight? It is so easy to read the often narrow parameters given to say what we should all be and then be panicked into taking the pills (or whatever) if we happen to be one of the extremes.
Are you full of energy, do you feel well? If so, perhaps, just perhaps, you are well.
Sally

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler Are you simply someone whose "normal" is right at the tail end of the normal distribution curve of population weight? It is so easy to read the often narrow parameters given to say what we should all be and then be panicked into taking the pills (or whatever) if we happen to be one of the extremes.
Are you full of energy, do you feel well? If so, perhaps, just perhaps, you are well.
Sally

I feel comparatively well, all things considered. I have thought at times that tall-ish (I'm 5'7") and skeletal might be my personal 'norm'. BMI is imo a rubbish calculator but it is the only range/scale I can find apart from the height/waist ratio.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Guzzler - There are lost of savoury fat bombs around the place. This link is a mixture of sweet and savoury (sweet first on the list), but as this blogger aggregates fpr some of her posts, I bet following some of the links would take you to other recipes.

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/40-sweet-and-savory-fat-bomb-recipes/

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Eating extra thick double cream straight from the pot is a pretty good fat bomb and delicious too!

Reactions: Petaluk

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating extra thick double cream straight from the pot is a pretty good fat bomb and delicious too!

Yep, double cream poured over mixed nuts with just 3 raisins for a bit of sweetness was like crack cocaine for me. As soon as I'd finished one 'serving' I'd make another. I gained weight very quickly which was a bad thing for me, but one person's problem could be another person's solution!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

It certainly is :). Just got to make sure fat-fearing-family don't catch me.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, double cream poured over mixed nuts with just 3 raisins for a bit of sweetness was like crack cocaine for me. As soon as I'd finished one 'serving' I'd make another. I gained weight very quickly which was a bad thing for me, but one person's problem could be another person's solution!

My current favourite is extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and (not for @Guzzler) a couple of broken up Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.