Have you taken the CARB cracker test?

Max68

Wasn't too sure where else to put this so move to another forum if appropriate but I stumbled across the below article yesterday after doing a bit of research on carbs as I am trying to cut back after my last HBA1c test., The article is a couple of years old but I find it most bizarre and surely unscientific although it did make me laugh enough to try it out. Basically it says to -

"Simply chew on a plain cracker until it changes in flavour from a bland biscuit to quite sweet. If the taste changes in less than 30 seconds, your body probably processes carbs quite effectively.

But if the cracker hasn’t changed taste after 30 seconds, then you should seriously consider eating a lower carb diet.

If you notice the sweetness within 0 to 14 seconds, your body processes carbs efficiently for use as energy — you can have 250g of carbs a day (roughly four slices of wholewheat bread).

If it takes 15 to 30 seconds, you can have 175g of carbs a day (around three-and-a-half slices of wholewheat bread).

More than 30 seconds, you’re not a great processor of carbs so the body is less able to use the excess as energy, and so stores it as fat. So you can have just 125g of carbs a day (around three slices of wholewheat bread).

When I did the test, it took me 34 seconds to taste the sweetness — unsurprisingly, given my history of weight gain."

For a laugh I tried it out. First cracker went down the gullet and into my stomach within about 7 seconds which kind of defeats the object so the hardest part was actually chewing on the thing for a while! Second attempt interestingly it turned quite sweet within 10 seconds which according to the author means I can have pasties and cake all the time, which giving my latest HBA1c clearly isn't the case (sadly!) Obviously it has major flaws. How sweet is sweet for instance, are we talking just a little or a lot? Plus the mind plays funny games and if you want it to taste sweet after 10 seconds then it will taste sweet after 10 seconds!

Try it out though. Would be interesting to see the scores, as I say at 10 seconds for me albeit not quite at Jam doughnut levels!

Maybe we should start a Fruitcake News Article Thread, although Fruitcake might not be the best choice of word for a variety of reasons! ;)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5805491/Want-know-carbs-make-fat-nibble-cracker.html

Last edited:
Reactions: JRT

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow what a waste of energy ‘researching’ & publishing such an article. A bit of fun but jeez some people might take it seriously.

What kind of bread has 60+ grams of carbs per slice & then magically turns into 40g per slice if you only eat 3 slices.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Bread is just an aweful choice, carbs all turn to sugar and it's generally loaded with unhealthy seed oils.... the advice to eat that is imo horrid.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Little known fact. Salivary amylase is the enzyme that converts starch ( in the cracker) into maltose and therefore produced a sweeter taste. However, due to their genetics, some people do not produce amylase in their saliva at all. So no amount of chewing will produce a sweet taste. More pseudo - science being promulgated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 992947x and TashT1

Max68

It reminded me of that old game when you had to eat a jam doughnut without licking your lips! I liked that game but it probably played a part in me ending up on here! ;)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread is just an aweful choice, carbs all turn to sugar and it's generally loaded with unhealthy seed oils.... the advice to eat that is imo horrid.
I quite like bread particularly as the two types that I eat don’t raise my BS too much

Reactions: Max68

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you notice the sweetness within 0 to 14 seconds, your body processes carbs efficiently for use as energy — you can have 250g of carbs a day (roughly four slices of wholewheat bread).

So wholemeal bread is now 62gs of carbs per slice ???
I'm afraid I didn't read much further than that

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So wholemeal bread is now 62gs of carbs per slice ???
I'm afraid I didn't read much further than that
If you cut a slice that weighs 4ounces it might - as my physics master used to say - define your units. (When I was at school it was not uncommon to have a choice of three systems, one imperial and two metric)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came across this a few years back and didn’t taste sweet. Now on the extremely rare occasion I have a cracker it tastes sweet quicker. And in the meantime my levels improved and presumably insulin resistance has also. But then I am very low carb and everything tastes sweeter than it used to now I’m not drowning in sugar. I definitely wouldn’t used their carb guidance though.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I quite like bread particularly as the two types that I eat don’t raise my BS too much

I know people like bread, but I'm pretty sure what you are eating isn't the standard loaf off the shelf at the supermarket like what most people are eating. Which is what I was referring to.

Each to their own however. I've tried making the low carb ones, not with much success, they came out looking like bread, but were more like a brick. Could have broken a window with one and certainly not the same taste either.

edit for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Daphne917

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember this being mentioned/discussed from a while back, but I never really felt the urge to try it, especially since I'd have had to buy something I didn't currently eat in order to do the "experiment". :eek:

Being diagnosed as T2 told me what I needed to know about my new diabetic relationship with carbs...though I'll admit to occasionally buying low carb bread - or more often baking some sort of low carb alternatives.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always assume 15g of carbs per slice.
Luckily for me bread doesn't seem to spike me so meal choices are easier.
There are lower carb breads out there - the ones I have are made by either Hovis or Tesco’s own.

glitter queen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know people like bread, but I'm pretty sure what you are eating isn't the standard loaf off the shelf at the supermarket like what most people are eating. Which is what I was referring to.

Each to their own however. I've tried making the low carb ones, not with much success, they came out looking like bread, but were more like a brick. Could have broken a window with one and certainly not the same taste either.

edit for typo

These are foolproof. I make every week. However if you dont get blonde psyllium husks they turn the bread a kind of purpley overcooked jacket potato colour, but still taste fine. Very quick & easy to make
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I'm just boggling at how one slice of wholewheat bread has roughly 60g of carbs. It must be a very big and thick slice...