Hba1c, maintaining weight and keeping the balance

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly i would like to start with a massive thank you for all the support given to me by so many, too numerous to mention all but you know who you are, since my diagnosis on 8th December last year. I can never thank you enough for all the help given, the time you give up to help when you have busy and challenging lives, the encouragement, the sympathy, the empathy, the laughs along the way and so much more, I've made some lovely friends, friends for life.

It's almost 1 year on and what a year it's been. I intend doing a full post on my journey around my anniversary. It may help and give encouragenent to someone else, or even better it may help and give encouragement to many. I am currently planning lots of PR on the back of my latest results. And ways to spread the word but more on that in my anniversary post.

Today's post is just to get a little frustration off my chest. I feel very proud of my achievements to date on this epic journey. From a hba1c on diagnosis of 62 to a non diabetic level of 41 within 6 months, last May. So when I got my latest hba1c result today of 39 I felt a little flat. Such a big jump previously but only down by 2 this past 6 months. I feel I have been focused, determined and driven in my goal to control my BS. And mysugr app predicts a hba1c of 34.1. I was very disappointed. Even though it had come down. And was in the 30s and not 40s. I couldn't help feeling a bit gutted.

My a1cnow home test kit threw me in that on 26th Oct it predicted a 33. Then on 16th Nov that had gone to 39 (I actually tested twice and 2nd test was 41!). On 17th Nov that went down to 35. My surgery bloods were taken the same day and the results as I said earlier were 39.

The frustration in me isn't coming from the variance in results but more from trying to maintain my weight. I've lost just short of 4 stone. Gone from 14 stone 7lbs to 10 stone 8lbs. I didn't want to go below 10 stone 12lbs as I felt that suited me. I felt very happy there. But the weight loss continued. The thing i find with the LCHF woe is that you don't or rarely feel hungry. I also have a different relationship with food now. I eat to live. I don't live to eat. Sometimes i have to remind myself to eat.

So to put a few lbs on I have had suppers on days i felt i hadnt eaten enough. I have had lots of peanuts, with cheese, salami and olives etc. But @shelley262 quite rightly pointed out peanuts aren't nuts but pulses! I was reading carb content. Anyway you live and learn. Thank goodness for this forum and all the very helpful members.

But I feel the late eating together with all the nuts have put up my hba1c. I only introduced suppers over the last 3 weeks and before this my home test predicted 33. But I have had wonderful words of encouragement already from forum members @Goonergal @Rachox @shelley262 @DJC3 And I'm already feeling better and much more positive about it all. At the end of the day it's a great result. And i have just reminded myself its a marathon not a race. And I still feel my diagnosis was a blessing.

And now I'm going to have something to eat! Cheese and olives but NO peanuts :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez dont be disheartened, you have done so much to improve your own health and that of many others in the past year. 39 isnt shabby by any means. I totally get your connundrum with balancing weight loss with BG reduction. So many of us fall into this category (which I know is annoying for those trying hard but not seeing the weight loss). I am wondering if my next HbA1c will increase too (due in a few weeks) but if I can keep it 40 or less then I feel safe. The downside to this woe is you dont always get the results you deserve for the effort put in. We can only persevere because I dont know any other way.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @shelley262 you are an inspiration Debs, you’ve done so much to get the message out there and help others. Your upbeat, ‘can do’ attitude is a real tonic. Never stop being you and be proud of who you are. You’re brilliant.

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @shelley262 you are an inspiration Debs, you’ve done so much to get the message out there and help others. Your upbeat, ‘can do’ attitude is a real tonic. Never stop being you and be proud of who you are. You’re brilliant.
That's so lovely. I do my little bit for and because of my mum. She is my driver. We all help the cause in our own way. You and so many others are so great at giving help and advice and without you this forum would not be!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez dont be disheartened, you have done so much to improve your own health and that of many others in the past year. 39 isnt shabby by any means. I totally get your connundrum with balancing weight loss with BG reduction. So many of us fall into this category (which I know is annoying for those trying hard but not seeing the weight loss). I am wondering if my next HbA1c will increase too (due in a few weeks) but if I can keep it 40 or less then I feel safe. The downside to this woe is you dont always get the results you deserve for the effort put in. We can only persevere because I dont know any other way.
Totally agree. I lived off pasta, rice, potatoes and bread before diagnosis. More or less totally cut out so another reason for disappointment. I'm over it now :) cracking on. Job to be done. Good luck with your bloods. Do you use mysugr?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
C'mon Superstar you're doing a great job ..39 is a great result and if you want to get it lower then you have a target for the next one. Agree completely with everything said above.. you've got this!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree. I lived off pasta, rice, potatoes and bread before diagnosis. More or less totally cut out so another reason for disappointment. I'm over it now :) cracking on. Job to be done. Good luck with your bloods. Do you use mysugr?
Thanks. I dont use mysugar. I am a complete technophobe and record my meals and BG in a desk diary!

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez maintaining weight is harder than losing it without increasing carbs, but it will happen. It took me quite a long time to stop losing and put back a few pounds, but it did happen when I found the right balance, and I even managed to reduce my carbs a bit more at the same time. That was 4 years ago and I am still the same weight. For me it was extra eggs, cheese, and red wine that did it. :rolleyes:

Carry on the good fight, and worry not about your HbA1c. It is a fabulous achievement. You know my feelings about the HbA1c. I just go by my own finger pricking and a part time Libre. Trust what your finger pricks tell you.

Kneale

Hi all I recently got diagnosed diabetic on 25 th oct with an hba1c of 141 and when I got to the hospital as requested by my doctors my blood glucose was 23.7 they say I'm type 2 but want check if I'm not type 1 due to Previously having chemotherapy / radiotherapy 3 stone loss and other symptoms that has been accuring over the last few years and saying my pancreas my have took an hit back then. Still waiting of referral for hospital lol been checking bloods since and it's still at around 20 most days is this normal or is there any useful tips to get this down whilst I'm taking the tablets and they don't seem to be working just making me go toilet more lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I recently got diagnosed diabetic on 25 th oct with an hba1c of 141 and when I got to the hospital as requested by my doctors my blood glucose was 23.7 they say I'm type 2 but want check if I'm not type 1 due to Previously having chemotherapy / radiotherapy 3 stone loss and other symptoms that has been accuring over the last few years and saying my pancreas my have took an hit back then. Still waiting of referral for hospital lol been checking bloods since and it's still at around 20 most days is this normal or is there any useful tips to get this down whilst I'm taking the tablets and they don't seem to be working just making me go toilet more lol

Hi @Kneale ,

Welcome to the forum,

I could give you your own thread topic on the forum if you wish?
Any replies specific to your enquiry may be lost in this thread.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
From a hba1c on diagnosis of 62 to a non diabetic level of 41 within 6 months, last May. So when I got my latest hba1c result today of 39 I felt a little flat.

Two comments about your awesome results.

The NICE guidelines say that 41 and below is non-diabetic, not even prediabetic. So why stress if your levels are below 40? Why do they need to be in the low 30s?
Also, hba1cs are not 100% accurate, and can be affected by numerous blood conditions, as well as the accuracy of an individual test. So it's really sugars that count, and if your meter shows that your blood sugars are normal, that should be enough.

Congrats again on some brilliant results.

Reactions: Debandez

BloodThirsty

Firstly i would like to start with a massive thank you for all the support given to me by so many, too numerous to mention all but you know who you are, since my diagnosis on 8th December last year. I can never thank you enough for all the help given, the time you give up to help when you have busy and challenging lives, the encouragement, the sympathy, the empathy, the laughs along the way and so much more, I've made some lovely friends, friends for life.

It's almost 1 year on and what a year it's been. I intend doing a full post on my journey around my anniversary. It may help and give encouragenent to someone else, or even better it may help and give encouragement to many. I am currently planning lots of PR on the back of my latest results. And ways to spread the word but more on that in my anniversary post.

Today's post is just to get a little frustration off my chest. I feel very proud of my achievements to date on this epic journey. From a hba1c on diagnosis of 62 to a non diabetic level of 41 within 6 months, last May. So when I got my latest hba1c result today of 39 I felt a little flat. Such a big jump previously but only down by 2 this past 6 months. I feel I have been focused, determined and driven in my goal to control my BS. And mysugr app predicts a hba1c of 34.1. I was very disappointed. Even though it had come down. And was in the 30s and not 40s. I couldn't help feeling a bit gutted.

My a1cnow home test kit threw me in that on 26th Oct it predicted a 33. Then on 16th Nov that had gone to 39 (I actually tested twice and 2nd test was 41!). On 17th Nov that went down to 35. My surgery bloods were taken the same day and the results as I said earlier were 39.

The frustration in me isn't coming from the variance in results but more from trying to maintain my weight. I've lost just short of 4 stone. Gone from 14 stone 7lbs to 10 stone 8lbs. I didn't want to go below 10 stone 12lbs as I felt that suited me. I felt very happy there. But the weight loss continued. The thing i find with the LCHF woe is that you don't or rarely feel hungry. I also have a different relationship with food now. I eat to live. I don't live to eat. Sometimes i have to remind myself to eat.

So to put a few lbs on I have had suppers on days i felt i hadnt eaten enough. I have had lots of peanuts, with cheese, salami and olives etc. But @shelley262 quite rightly pointed out peanuts aren't nuts but pulses! I was reading carb content. Anyway you live and learn. Thank goodness for this forum and all the very helpful members.

But I feel the late eating together with all the nuts have put up my hba1c. I only introduced suppers over the last 3 weeks and before this my home test predicted 33. But I have had wonderful words of encouragement already from forum members @Goonergal @Rachox @shelley262 @DJC3 And I'm already feeling better and much more positive about it all. At the end of the day it's a great result. And i have just reminded myself its a marathon not a race. And I still feel my diagnosis was a blessing.

And now I'm going to have something to eat! Cheese and olives but NO peanuts :)
You have achieved a magnificent result... on two consecutive occasions measuring within the non-diabetic range.

Please don't get too obsessed with driving your HbA1c ever lower. A personal challenge is one thing but now you've arrived you are merely gilding the lily.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
C'mon Superstar you're doing a great job ..39 is a great result and if you want to get it lower then you have a target for the next one. Agree completely with everything said above.. you've got this!

I'm smiling. Big smile. Thank you. I got this.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome. You have come to just the right place to help. I will tag in @daisy1 who will send you some really helpful info. Have a read, also spend a few hours looking around the forum. You will pick up some great info. It would be better if your question had it's own thread and the lovely @Rachox will hopefully be able to help here. I would immediately cut out bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cereals and juice. Loaded with carbs that could massively be putting your sugars up.

Reactions: DJC3

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So when I got my latest hba1c result today of 39 I felt a little flat. Such a big jump previously but only down by 2 this past 6 months. I feel I have been focused, determined and driven in my goal to control my BS. And mysugr app predicts a hba1c of 34.1. I was very disappointed. Even though it had come down. And was in the 30s and not 40s. I couldn't help feeling a bit gutted.

Well done, weight wise and HbA1c wise, you should not be disappointed in the slightest. I'm not sure that I would worry too much about what an app predicts, you're not the first person who has mentioned a discrepancy in predicted and actual HbA1c. Also, I remember that my first three months on low carb was where I had the most reduction in actual HbA1c. I've fluctuated between 44 and 59 since then on < 50gms carb a day.

I'm presently cutting down to 20gms and increasing fat by adding cream and real yogurt. I don't expect a great reduction in HbA1c, maybe a few points, more importantly I'm trying to kick start the weight loss that has "plateaued" as the dieting world like to say. A plateau of several months, in fact a gain of 7 kgs despite eating considerably less than my BMR.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez agree with the others. You are a total inspiration and doing a grand job! You know my thoughts already but the disappointment is a sign of your great attitude and is behind your drive and determination.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez agree with the others. You are a total inspiration and doing a grand job! You know my thoughts already but the disappointment is a sign of your great attitude and is behind your drive and determination.
Thank you as always for your words of encouragement. Without a doubt you are one of the reasons I reached non diabetic levels. I learned so much from you, and indeed am still learning. Thank you for giving your time to help others along the road. Have a good day yourself.

Last edited:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Debandez
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.