HBA1C of 96 now in remission

ijf

Hi I thought I would share my experiences over the last 3 months. I had a test in August that recorded my H1 as 96. I couldn't work out why all the medics were asking if I was ok. I don't take pills so insisted on trying the low carb diet. I've just had a 3 month check and I have the H1 down to 44 the hospital has discharged me and my gp was amazed\surprised. Oh I'm also now 10 kg lighter. Wow what a difference 3 months can make.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I thought I would share my experiences over the last 3 months. I had a test in August that recorded my H1 as 96. I couldn't work out why all the medics were asking if I was ok. I don't take pills so insisted on trying the low carb diet. I've just had a 3 month check and I have the H1 down to 44 the hospital has discharged me and my gp was amazed\surprised. Oh I'm also now 10 kg lighter. Wow what a difference 3 months can make.
Great stuff, congratulations!

• Winner
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely marvelous achievement..... congratulations all round :cool:

And a doc who's curious to boot....

By a lottery ticket, your luck's truly in right now ;)

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My congratulations to you too, well done!

Reactions: jjraak and ijf

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also interested to see you did it on 140g daily carbs similar to my 135g. I’m not sure the carbs level matters very much for many people provided it’s sensibly low-ish and lower GI, the priority (I believe) is to strip that fat from the organs by any viable means, whether by losing 10kg, 15 or 20, whatever it takes. 140g is then a very comfortable level to remain at thereafter, as I am, provided blood glucose remains well behaved by the meter. Also if you’re aged over 65 then an HbA1c of 44 should be interpreted as normalised, not pre-diabetic, as the official thresholds and reference ranges are all wrong for older age groups. Another diabetes fact on which GPs are largely clueless.

ijf

Also interested to see you did it on 140g daily carbs similar to my 135g. I’m not sure the carbs level matters very much for many people provided it’s sensibly low-ish and lower GI, the priority (I believe) is to strip that fat from the organs by any viable means, whether by losing 10kg, 15 or 20, whatever it takes. 140g is then a very comfortable level to remain at thereafter, as I am, provided blood glucose remains well behaved by the meter. Also if you’re aged over 65 then an HbA1c of 44 should be interpreted as normalised, not pre-diabetic, as the official thresholds and reference ranges are all wrong for older age groups. Another diabetes fact on which GPs are largely clueless.
Hi yes the 140 is quite comfortable. For me the weight still seems to be coming off. I'm hovering at 84 kg now so need to get a soft landing at a comfortable weight. Portion control is also a factor for me. No surprises I think.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done. Great achievement. I'm hoping for similar results. My hba1c was 111 a month ago. (Was 49 in 2019 but then covid happened) Diabetic nurse is trying to convince me to increase my meds but I'm determined to get it down by low carbing. I've done it before and really hope I can do it again. Been type 2 for 11 years now and finding it's not as easy as it used to be to get the numbers down by myself. Much more difficult this time around.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent, congratulations.
Going low carb has had the effect for many that we also lost weight, which is usually great as well. As you can see on this forum we all have different tolerance to carbs, many go very low carb, but if 140 g of carbs works for you keep doing it.

I am sure that you are aware that getting your numbers lower was the "easy" part, you now need keep them low. I hope your diet is sustainable. Avoiding processed food, banning low fat anything, is all good. Portion control depends on what level. This might not apply to you, but is important to know. When eating low carb wee need to make sure that we eat enough calories and replace carbs with fat (LCHF) or protein. If we restrict our calorie intake significantly below what the body needs, our metabolic base rate (the rate at which we burn calories) will go down, say from 2000 to 1400 calories a day. Wd keep dieting, but will feel hungry all the time. This is not sustainable and some point we will give up. This is why most diets fail.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ijf

Wow. Amazing! Fantastically well done!
Can I ask, did you only concentrate on carbs or did you do some calorie counting too?
Hi I've been keeping an eye on portion size rather than calories. Although I do know both are linked . I've gone for bran flakes with cashews and a few raisins in the morning. A reasonable lunch and then something like home made onion\mushrooms \protein. I had a spike with almost all pre made foods.

Reactions: marathonmona

ijf

Excellent, congratulations.
Going low carb has had the effect for many that we also lost weight, which is usually great as well. As you can see on this forum we all have different tolerance to carbs, many go very low carb, but if 140 g of carbs works for you keep doing it.

I am sure that you are aware that getting your numbers lower was the "easy" part, you now need keep them low. I hope your diet is sustainable. Avoiding processed food, banning low fat anything, is all good. Portion control depends on what level. This might not apply to you, but is important to know. When eating low carb wee need to make sure that we eat enough calories and replace carbs with fat (LCHF) or protein. If we restrict our calorie intake significantly below what the body needs, our metabolic base rate (the rate at which we burn calories) will go down, say from 2000 to 1400 calories a day. Wd keep dieting, but will feel hungry all the time. This is not sustainable and some point we will give up. This is why most diets fail.
Hi yes I wouldn't say I've been dieting. I have been listening to my body and stop eating when I'm full. I know that sounds strange . I have only had a few evenings in the last 12 weeks when I would say I'm hungry. Definitely agree about the protein substitute.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I've been keeping an eye on portion size rather than calories. Although I do know both are linked . I've gone for bran flakes with cashews and a few raisins in the morning. A reasonable lunch and then something like home made onion\mushrooms \protein. I had a spike with almost all pre made foods.

Thank you!