Hba1c Update

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last week I had my first annual review on the 23rd August, 4 months after I was diagnosed with a HbA1c of 82.

My new result is 42 - so only just into pre-diabetes territory.

I went off the rails a bit during the 2 weeks before the test due to lots of stressful life events - my Mum was hospitalised and I had a mad dash of 90 miles to see her and look after my blind Dad for a week. Fortunately she got out after a night and is now much better.

Just after the start of the holiday we went on to recover from that incident, we found out we had been the victims of credit card fraud via a stolen mobile phone number, ported without our permission. To say that was stressful is an understatement. Unfortunately I ended up eating bread and chocolate - not large amounts but enough to make me really ill after a week. I have gone back to my LCHF diet, but it will have had an effect on the HbA1c. Let's hope a week of poor choices has not had too much of an effect on my health...

I am really pleased with that progress though, and owe it all to the support and generosity of the members on here, sharing their journeys and experience, and offering unwavering support and encouragement - thank you all for helping me tackle this problem head on and with some success.

I will be posting on here a little more often, as I find it helps keep me focused and on top of things.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done and @AllieRainbow when stressful urgent events happen like they have to you it’s automatic to revert to the way of eating we used to cope with stress before. When eating lCHF if you know there’s something stressful you can plan ahead but it’s difficult when it just happens. So well done you both on the lowering of your HbA1c and also getting back on track quite quickly after your difficult times.
I find it really helpful to post on the daily eating thread as it seems to keep me on target knowing I’ll be recording it later! Whatever works for you keep going you’re doing great well done.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I'm sorry to hear you been having such an upleasant time. We all only have a certain amount of self discipline and stress can demolish it. I think that is OK as long as you get back on the straight and narrow ASAP. .Perhaps you could adopt a stress food ? I used to eat biscuits and chocolate when I was stressed. I also routinely drank a lot of Pepsi Zero. What I tried was to stop drinking the Zero altogether unless I was stressed. This has worked pretty well as I definitely fall back on this first when things get tough. I'm not suggesting someting like celery as your stress food, but to try to find something that you like but is not a disaster for your BG and only eat it when you have a bad time. Then that becomes your comfort food instead of the really bad stuff.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear you’ve had such a tough time lately but good result all the same! Very well done!

Reactions: AllieRainbow

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry to hear you been having such an upleasant time. We all only have a certain amount of self discipline and stress can demolish it. I think that is OK as long as you get back on the straight and narrow ASAP. .Perhaps you could adopt a stress food ? I used to eat biscuits and chocolate when I was stressed. I also routinely drank a lot of Pepsi Zero. What I tried was to stop drinking the Zero altogether unless I was stressed. This has worked pretty well as I definitely fall back on this first when things get tough. I'm not suggesting someting like celery as your stress food, but to try to find something that you like but is not a disaster for your BG and only eat it when you have a bad time. Then that becomes your comfort food instead of the really bad stuff.

That sounds like a brilliant idea - I will think of what I could use as a stress food.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great result. Keep up the good work and hopefully life settles down soon.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done @AllyRainbow! Sorry to hear of the stresses you have undergone lately, but trust things are settling down now and you can concentrate on you again......I have enjoyed reading about your journey and you have really done wonderfully. Trust you realize that too and are focused once again. Keep up the good work! Blessings/L

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've done so well. Hope things improve and I'm sure you will be even lower next time!