1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello from Cumbria

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by mealsgateboys, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:32 PM.

1. mealsgateboys

mealsgateboys Type 2 · Newbie

hello my name is Paul and I have type 2, my Husband has type 1 and has been diabetic since 1967 (He has a medal) We live in Cumbria and have been together for 40 years. I am a musician and my husband is a Support worker. We both love gardening and are kept very busy with a lot of hedge cutting....

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    I am rather busy with music these days, now that I am feeling better.
    I used to do a lot of gardening, but the garden here is really small, and there just isn't enough space.
    Have you been diagnosed long?

3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hello Paul,

Welcome to the forum. :) Two different types under one roof, must be interesting during meal-times! I see in your profile you take quite a bit of medication. Do you want to try something different (for quite a few of us going low carb meant remission), or just want to meet your tribe? :)

In any case, have a read around, and if you have questions, throw them out there. There's usually someone around with answers. Actually, more commonly it's multiple someones and a LOT of not-always-agreeing answers, haha. :)
    Have a great day,
    Jo

• Like Like x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

5. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello Paul! Welcome to the squad.

6. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, ello, ello. And welcome. To the both of you. And a medal for diabetes. That's no mean feat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Route 66

Route 66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Another warm welcome

8. mealsgateboys

I think about 4 years but Im controlling it well so Ive been told by me doc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cassie091

cassie091 Type 1 · Active Member

Welcome to the club. I've had type 1 since 1959 - 60 years! But that's no big deal. I have been fit and well for all of that time until recently and now have a heart problem. Waiting for an operation to replace my aortic valve. The cardiologists say the cause is age as opposed to diabetes but I'm not so sure. I'm 76 so not completely over the hill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. cassie091

cassie091 Type 1 · Active Member

Forgot to say I live in Cumbria as well. Kendal to be exact though I hail from a London suburb.

11. mealsgateboys

Did you get a medal ?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook