Hello, I’m new here

PegiWyn

Hello, I’m Pegi and I live on the North Wales coast.
I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes 2 yrs ago.
No medication but diet controlled, at the last HbA1c my glucose had gone up to 67, although previously it was 57
I’m struggling diet wise, I need to know how much carbs I need daily and also healthy Easy recipes as I share the oven/ hob with hubby so any food has to be quick And also easy as I cannot stand for long due to back problem.
I guess I am overweight at 13 stone 4 but the diabetic nurse didn’t comment only say that it’s better to have a bit of weight than being thin.
please, what can I eat and what can’t I eat, am fed up of salmon or chicken and vegetables every day.
Thanks in advance and any suggestions gratefully received.

• Hug
Reactions: Prancy and filly

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @PegiWyn ,
Welcome to the forum.
I will tag @ianf0ster to give you the link to the nutritional thingy.
There is also dietdoctor.com.
This will help you out.

My wife is in a similar situation as you.
And I have to be really careful.
I cook for both, and it's always fresh food and cook at home.
I also hatch cook, which I then freeze and use when I need to.
In the microwave.

You should get a lot more response.
Do have a look around.

I'm from the Wirral, so not that far away.

• Agree
Reactions: Melgar

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Helo @PegiWyn my family live in North Wales a small village near Porthmadog. A beautiful country :) . I just wanted to say helo , unfortunately my dietary knowledge is lacking lol . I agree it is far better to have a little weight than be skinny like me. There is not much in reserve if your body gets sick !

• Informative
Reactions: Prancy and Lamont D

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @PegiWyn and welcome to the forum
(Thanks for the tag @Lamont D).
All diet/lifestyle methods for controlling blood glucose in Type 2 diabetes tend to reduce your weight (whether you are actively trying to do that or not).

I use a Low Carbohydrate 'Way Of Eating' based upon the success that Dr David Unwin (a GP in Stockport) has had with his T2 Diabetic patients.
Here is a link to the blog post which helped me on my path to T2D remission (which I achieved 4yrs ago:

Simple meat, fish, eggs, cheese cooked or raw, combined with (mostly) above ground vegetables are low carb and take little cooking - your husband can cook for both of you and just add carby food like potato, pasta, rice to his own portion.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I’m Pegi and I live on the North Wales coast.
I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes 2 yrs ago.
No medication but diet controlled, at the last HbA1c my glucose had gone up to 67, although previously it was 57
I’m struggling diet wise, I need to know how much carbs I need daily and also healthy Easy recipes as I share the oven/ hob with hubby so any food has to be quick And also easy as I cannot stand for long due to back problem.
I guess I am overweight at 13 stone 4 but the diabetic nurse didn’t comment only say that it’s better to have a bit of weight than being thin.
please, what can I eat and what can’t I eat, am fed up of salmon or chicken and vegetables every day.
Thanks in advance and any suggestions gratefully received.
Hi, and welcome. The one thing I wish someone had told me when I was first diagnosed is that you should try to forget everything you think you know about what "healthy eating" looks like.

Just to add to what others have posted - we don't need any carbs at all. We can get by fine on protein and fat. Your body can synthesize any glucose it needs, and, if you're fat adapted, run off bodyfat - this will lead to weight loss, or more correctly, body fat loss.

That said, unless you go total carnivore it's hard to avoid some carbs - I aim for no more than 20g/day which comes mainly from green above-ground veg. I normally don't eat any of the traditional carbohydrate-heavy foods at all, like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar, fruit etc. I normally eat quite a bit of red meat each week, plus chicken and fish, lots of eggs and cheese, butter, and have cream in my coffee. I'm very happy with the results.

Are you trying to mix low-fat with low-carb? That can be very challenging. I wouldn't say I go out of my way to eat additonal fat, but I certainly don't avoid natural saturated fats. I do try to steer clear of things like seed oils, though, and the sorts of artificial fat things that go in very highly processed foods.

Best of luck - and keep asking questions.

• Informative
Reactions: Melgar and Outlier

QuentinLin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's tough trying to figure out the right balance, especially when you're sharing the kitchen and dealing with physical limitations. When it comes to carbs, I've found that aiming for about 130-150 grams per day works for me, but it's really important to listen to your body and maybe chat with a dietitian for personalized advice. As for recipes, I've been exploring CooksCrafter.com and found some fantastic, easy-to-make meals there. It's been a lifesaver for whipping up quick and healthy dishes without too much hassle. One thing that really helped me is getting creative in the kitchen and seeing it as a way to craft culinary delights, one recipe at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prancy

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@QuentinLin My experience is almost the exact opposite of what you have posted. That is probably because you are taking insulin (unlike the OP) and so you need some extra carbs on board so that you avoid Hypos - where and ordinary T2D has no such problem.

Using a Blood Glucose meter makes it easy to find not only the total carbs your body is comfortable with, but which specific foods your body prefers (carb wise).
Sharing a kitchen with a non-diabetic doesn't have to be difficult if they are remotely understanding or sympathetic to your situation. Again a Blood Glucose monitor gives physical evidence that your dietary preferences are actually required for your health and not just made up on a whim. I started Low Carb while my wife was away for a couple of weeks, but the BG meter readings soon convinced her to take it seriously and it was not long before she was herself eating much fewer carbs (out of choice) when we ate together, sometimes eating the exact same as me and sometime just adding some extra potato, parsnip etc to her portion. She still ate as she always had when out with friends, but quite liked the lower car, higher protein food I was eating - especially since her weight reduced (by about 7lbs) without effort.

As for a particular amount of carbs per day, well I would say that is between the person with T2 diabetes and their BG meter. There is no fixed amount that is both good for everybody and maintainable for everybody - it must be both or it will end in failure!
For some (very few T2D's I suspect) a moderate carb way of eating such as you describe (130-150 gms per day) will be fine, but for the majority it will need to be Low Carb which is usually defined as from below 130 gms per day, or very low carb (as I am) below 50gms per day, or even Keto which is below 20gms per day. Only your BG meter of CGM can tell you which level works best for you - the Meter of CGM should be considered as your personal Diabetes expert, to guide you on your path of blood glucose control or even T2D remission.

Finally, having a chat about Diabetes and carbohydrates with a dietitian, or with a GP, often goes badly because they have been brainwashed into thinking that we all need carbs, despite excess carbs being more of an enemy of Low Blood glucose and being the only non-essential Macro Nutrient.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To speed up cooking and save energy I use a pressure cooker and have the old fashioned separators and perforated baskets and trays.
Low carb eating any meat, fish, eggs, cheese, full fat dairy, low carb veges and fruits give a lot of variety particularly if eaten with herbs or spices.