Hello

TrendyD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night my Doctor advised me I was pre diabetic, I must admit it was a total shock to me. I am a little over weight but not massively, I am a UK size 12/14.
I have no idea where to start to tackle my problem and would love any advice anybody can offer me, especially food wise.
What food should I avoid and which is best for me?
Thank You
TrendyD

Reactions: zauberflote

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
You already have all the info you need right here. @daisy1 will I'm sure give you her excellent information.

Read, read,read.
I was in your shoes 3months ago. I'm now best part of 20kg lighter and have never felt better. Everything I know from the wonderful people here.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night my Doctor advised me I was pre diabetic, I must admit it was a total shock to me. I am a little over weight but not massively, I am a UK size 12/14.
I have no idea where to start to tackle my problem and would love any advice anybody can offer me, especially food wise.
Thank You
TrendyD
Hi @TrendyD , and welcome,

Ah, another person who thinks they're on the road to T2 due to their weight! Let me tell you a secret: being a little overweight is a symptom of prediabetes. Carbohydrates turn to glucose once ingested, but as a prediabetic, you have insulin resistance... Meaning you can't turn that glucose into fuel to burn, so it gets stored in fat cells instead. Read that a few times and then see the implications: a lot of T2's are (morbidly) overweight, but it was caused by their insulin resistance, which then turns to diabetes. You don't become diabetic because you're overweight (10% of T2's are actually skinny, so it's not a prerequisite), you become bigger because you're slowly becoming diabetic. But hey, you're in the pre-phase, so with just a few tweaks to your diet, you could postpone a T2 diagnosis for years. Who knows, maybe avoid it entirely. What I wouldn't give to be in your shoes right now. (You probably feel like your world is falling apart, and there are still people who would want to trade with you. Imagine that eh...)

So, the most important thing you now already know: practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose. And you don't process that back out well because of insulin resistance. So the next step: cut back on carbs. That means the obvious straight sugars, but also starches; potatoes, bread, rice, corn, pasta, cereals/muesi. Fruits are high in sugars too, save for berries, avocado, starfruit and tomatoes. The rest, not so good.

There are 3 macro nutrients, and carbs are one of them. Fats and protein are the others. If you cut the carbs, you up the fats.That way you stay satiated, and don't miss out on any micronutrients like vitamins and minerals. In other words, you don't run the risk of getting malnourished.

So, what can you eat? Eggs, meat (bacon is your new best friend), poultry, fish, cheese, butter, full fat greek yoghurt, berries, avocado, above ground veggies, tomatoes, extra dark chocolate, cream, nuts...
Meals could look like this:
Eggs with bacon, cheese, couple of 'shrooms, high meat content sausages
Omelet with cinnamon, cream and erythitol (a sweetener that won't ruin your gutbacteria), with some coconut shavings and berries on the side. (And another dash of cream, because it's niiiice).
Green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayo, avocado, capers and olives
Green salad with slightly warmed up goat's cheese and bit of a nice vinaigrette
Meat, fish or poultry with cauliflower-rice (which can replace rice, spuds and pasta), bacon and cheese. Herbs to taste
Snacks could be a few squares of extra dark chocolate (Lindt 85% is nice), olives, cheeses, pork scratchings...

I hope that sounds pretty do-able. I skip breakfast myself, usually just have a cup of tea or two while my husband eats, so we still start the day together. This way I got my bloodsugars down to the non-diabetic range (You'll want to know your HbA1c results. If you don't know where you're coming from ,you don't know where you're headed, so ask for them), lost 25 kilo's and basically, got my life back. I was collapsing left and right, couldn't leave the house, couldn't walk any distances... Now I'm out every weekend doing walks with camera gear weighing me down, rather than the fat that used to be piled on me. In any case, if the mealideas sound a little bland and you're more adventurous than me in the kitchen, try dietdoctor.com for meal ideas. It's an amazing site, as is this one.

This is a whole lot of information, but there's really just one thing you have to remember right now: You'll be okay. Because you will be. Knowledge is power, and now you know where you're at physically, and what you can do about it yourself. So yeah... All good. Or, it will be.

Good luck, and welcome!
Jo

TrendyD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @TrendyD , and welcome,

Ah, another person who thinks they're on the road to T2 due to their weight! Let me tell you a secret: being a little overweight is a symptom of prediabetes. Carbohydrates turn to glucose once ingested, but as a prediabetic, you have insulin resistance... Meaning you can't turn that glucose into fuel to burn, so it gets stored in fat cells instead. Read that a few times and then see the implications: a lot of T2's are (morbidly) overweight, but it was caused by their insulin resistance, which then turns to diabetes. You don't become diabetic because you're overweight (10% of T2's are actually skinny, so it's not a prerequisite), you become bigger because you're slowly becoming diabetic. But hey, you're in the pre-phase, so with just a few tweaks to your diet, you could postpone a T2 diagnosis for years. Who knows, maybe avoid it entirely. What I wouldn't give to be in your shoes right now. (You probably feel like your world is falling apart, and there are still people who would want to trade with you. Imagine that eh...)

So, the most important thing you now already know: practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose. And you don't process that back out well because of insulin resistance. So the next step: cut back on carbs. That means the obvious straight sugars, but also starches; potatoes, bread, rice, corn, pasta, cereals/muesi. Fruits are high in sugars too, save for berries, avocado, starfruit and tomatoes. The rest, not so good.

There are 3 macro nutrients, and carbs are one of them. Fats and protein are the others. If you cut the carbs, you up the fats.That way you stay satiated, and don't miss out on any micronutrients like vitamins and minerals. In other words, you don't run the risk of getting malnourished.

So, what can you eat? Eggs, meat (bacon is your new best friend), poultry, fish, cheese, butter, full fat greek yoghurt, berries, avocado, above ground veggies, tomatoes, extra dark chocolate, cream, nuts...
Meals could look like this:
Eggs with bacon, cheese, couple of 'shrooms, high meat content sausages
Omelet with cinnamon, cream and erythitol (a sweetener that won't ruin your gutbacteria), with some coconut shavings and berries on the side. (And another dash of cream, because it's niiiice).
Green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayo, avocado, capers and olives
Green salad with slightly warmed up goat's cheese and bit of a nice vinaigrette
Meat, fish or poultry with cauliflower-rice (which can replace rice, spuds and pasta), bacon and cheese. Herbs to taste
Snacks could be a few squares of extra dark chocolate (Lindt 85% is nice), olives, cheeses, pork scratchings...

I hope that sounds pretty do-able. I skip breakfast myself, usually just have a cup of tea or two while my husband eats, so we still start the day together. This way I got my bloodsugars down to the non-diabetic range (You'll want to know your HbA1c results. If you don't know where you're coming from ,you don't know where you're headed, so ask for them), lost 25 kilo's and basically, got my life back. I was collapsing left and right, couldn't leave the house, couldn't walk any distances... Now I'm out every weekend doing walks with camera gear weighing me down, rather than the fat that used to be piled on me. In any case, if the mealideas sound a little bland and you're more adventurous than me in the kitchen, try dietdoctor.com for meal ideas. It's an amazing site, as is this one.

This is a whole lot of information, but there's really just one thing you have to remember right now: You'll be okay. Because you will be. Knowledge is power, and now you know where you're at physically, and what you can do about it yourself. So yeah... All good. Or, it will be.

Good luck, and welcome!
Jo

TrendyD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo
Thank you so much. Can i ask? Do i need to go for low fat mayo or can i continue with original?.
Thanks again
Trendy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jo
Thank you so much. Can i ask? Do i need to go for low fat mayo or can i continue with original?.
Thanks again
Trendy
If you cut carbs you need to have a new energy source, so that’s fat. Keep your full fat mayo!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo
Thanks again
Trendy

Fat is good, make it your new mantra. ;) Just check the jar, as for some reason some manufacturers think there should be sugar in mayo. One may put in more than others. There's 1,3 grams of carbs per 100 grams in mine, but that brand's not available there... So that's worth checking. Anything under 10% will do I suppose, but less it better of course.

Fats slow down the uptake of carbs that are in your meal, so it tends to slow down a sugar peak as a result. That's a good thing. So no need to ditch the healthy fats. See, if you cut carbs and fats, you'll miss out on a lot of vitamins and minerals, so you could actually end up with scurvy, besides being hungry all the time. ;) You'll need both fats and proteine to keep going.

If you want more in-depth info, check The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. He's rather good at explaining things. :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo
Thanks again
Trendy
And one more thing: You can always ask anything. I don't have all the answers, but someone around here is bound to. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @TrendyD

You have done yourself a BIG favour just by landing on this forum.

Here is the first post link i followed that laid out for me the answers to the question you posed.

DIETDOCTOR.

Good luck, and as @Spl@ says, read, read, read...everyday on here is a school day.

I now feel i'm taking biology 101..:wacky:

There's a test at the end of each term...that it's best to try and pass.;)

all the answers can be found on here by searching or just asking..:happy::watching::bookworm:

good luck.
your time starts..now :D

Posted same time as me, @JoKalsbeek ..great post as always..

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Thank You
TrendyD
I can remember a time when a 12/14 size was a normal size, now they say that's overweight. You will get lots of good advise on here and am sure somebody will tag Daisy with some good information. If you read the posts on this site you will get so much information. There are also some amazing recipes on here. Good luck

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi Jo
Thanks again
Trendy
Don't go for low fat of anything. I did this as the NHS guidelines and media tell us this is healthy. I ate what I thought was healthy and ended up Prediabetic because the low-fat foods had lots of sugar in and were just bad for me in general. Go for all full-fat foods

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Real mayo is good. Low fat is bad. Any low fat product is bad. Next time you shop have a look at the nutrition labels on all the brands. Choose the one with the lowest "total carbohydrate" content (not the "of which sugar"). I use Hellmanns Real mayo, in quantity!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Real mayo is good. Low fat is bad. Any low fat product is bad. Next time you shop have a look at the nutrition labels on all the brands. Choose the one with the lowest "total carbohydrate" content (not the "of which sugar"). I use Hellmanns Real mayo, in quantity!

Oh yes. Chopped cabbage, cucumber, cheese and maybe a cheeky tin of tuna. Couple of tablespoons of full fat mayo. Instant near zero carb lunch.

TrendyD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @TrendyD

You have done yourself a BIG favour just by landing on this forum.

Here is the first post link i followed that laid out for me the answers to the question you posed.

DIETDOCTOR.

Good luck, and as @Spl@ says, read, read, read...everyday on here is a school day.

I now feel i'm taking biology 101..:wacky:

There's a test at the end of each term...that it's best to try and pass.;)

all the answers can be found on here by searching or just asking..:happy::watching::bookworm:

good luck.
your time starts..now :D

Posted same time as me, @JoKalsbeek ..great post as always..

Thanks for the advise :)
So much to take in my head is buzzing

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@derry60 re the sizing: in US vanity sizing has become ridiculous! In the mid 1960’s I topped out at a perfect Butterick size FOURTEEN at age 12. 5’7”, probably under 100 lbs. I grew another 2” and numerous lbs, sizes vanitized, and now at a (shrunken) 5’8” and under 140 lbs I wear US 10’s, some 8 jeans, medium, large, and small tops. Depends on the brand. Next spring we’ll see if my linen summer pants/trousers fall off me or not!
So the now-called-overweight UK 12/14 might have been 16/18 before?

Reactions: Prem51

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@TrendyD welcome! I am also inexperienced but diabetes/preD runs in the family so I wasn’t surprised. You’ll learn so much here while having so much fun

Reactions: Prem51