Help! -a Great Low-carb Opportunity In Parliament

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hahahaha

I sent the second email this morning, pointing out I hadn't received even an acknowledgement to my first. This is the reply I had 2 hours later.

My sincere apologies. According to our system Nigel sent a letter to you on the 10th of June however, this must not have reached you. I will ensure a copy of this is sent to you.

Unfortunately, Nigel is unable to attend the debate tomorrow due to prior parliamentary business. Nigel will familiarise himself with the arguments heard in the debate and will continue to follow this important issue closely. Upon reviewing Nigel’s diary, there are a number of debates and events coming up relating to diabetes care which Nigel is scheduled to attend, including the Diabetes APPG.

Should you require anything else, relating to this matter or any other please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes,
Emma (Crosby)

The next APPG meeting for diabetes is 6 months from Flash Glucose Monitoring: What’s next for Access to Technology?
CHANGE OF DATE: Thursday, 19 July 2018
2:15pm to 4:00pm, House of Commons

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just found an email reply from today in my junk mail! :):):)

Dear Rachel
Anneliese's researcher has been in touch and confirmed that the event is in the diary and she is planning to go along.
Best wishes
Senior Caseworker

Office of Anneliese Dodds
Member of Parliament for Oxford East

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a reply from Damian Green. I am not sure if he is with us or against us.

"Thank you for contacting me about lowcarb diets for diabetic people.

As I understand, a lowcarb diet can be safe and effective in the short term in managing weight, and improving glycaemic control and cardiovascular risk in people with Type 2 diabetes. However, a lowcarb diet should not be regarded as a better approach than other strategies.

The Government should be doing all it can to reduce the rates of this condition, ensure it is diagnosed quickly, and help those with diabetes manage their illness, so they can live normal, happy, and free lives.

I believe the NHS's decision to invest £42 million to support Clinical Commissioning Groups in their efforts to tackle diabetes is a positive and important step in this direction.

Ultimately, evidence shows that total energy intake is the main predictor of weight loss so people should be encouraged to choose an approach they prefer.

Yours sincerely, "

For some time now I have noticed that if you say diabetes, the listener starts talking about weight loss. They no longer see sugar level control as the prime reason for low carb.

Reactions: Goonergal and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

As I understand, a lowcarb diet can be safe and effective in the short term in managing weight, and improving glycaemic control and cardiovascular risk in people with Type 2 diabetes. However, a lowcarb diet should not be regarded as a better approach than other strategies.

The Government should be doing all it can to reduce the rates of this condition, ensure it is diagnosed quickly, and help those with diabetes manage their illness, so they can live normal, happy, and free lives.

I believe the NHS's decision to invest £42 million to support Clinical Commissioning Groups in their efforts to tackle diabetes is a positive and important step in this direction.

Ultimately, evidence shows that total energy intake is the main predictor of weight loss so people should be encouraged to choose an approach they prefer.

Yours sincerely, "

For some time now I have noticed that if you say diabetes, the listener starts talking about weight loss. They no longer see sugar level control as the prime reason for low carb.
He's a bit confused.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Ultimately, evidence shows that total energy intake is the main predictor of weight loss so people should be encouraged to choose an approach they prefer'.

Grrr this is so wrong!!! Are you sure this guy isn't a GP? ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grrr this is so wrong!!! Are you sure this guy isn't a GP? ;)
The pdf letter had Mr Green's signature on it but came from someone else according to the email.

It looks like a stock letter which could be sent to fat people as well as thin diabetics. No mention of whether or not he will attend but the vibes suggest he won't.

Reactions: dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yours sincerely, "

Obviously a CICO-path.

Reactions: Pipp and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yours sincerely, "

His support is looking doubtful.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Sounds like it was written by a NHSi press officer.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yours sincerely, "

I would be tempted to email him and suggest he goes to the debate as he clearly needs educating in this area.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps get the minutes/video and send it to him, or something equally time consuming for him. ;)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just found an email reply from today in my junk mail! :):):)

Dear Rachel
Anneliese's researcher has been in touch and confirmed that the event is in the diary and she is planning to go along.
Best wishes
Senior Caseworker

I sent this reply late last night as I only spotted it by luck in my junk mail:
Dear ****,
I’m sorry for the late reply but I have just found this in my junk mail. Please thank Anneliese very much from me, it means a lot to me that she is taking an interest.
Regards
Rachel.

And this morning I’ve had a thank for my thank you!

Thanks Rachel

Best wishes
Senior Caseworker

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My MP was not interested in the correspondence I sent him a few years ago about how T2DHe has never to my knowledge spoken at PMQ's so I doubt my emailing him again will help. I had more success with my MEP at the time, who did manage to raise my concerns with the then Health Secretary, but she was sacked the following week, so that was no forward direction for the cause.

Lovely to see you posting here again @Southport GP I admire the work you are doing, and I myself use the Pioppi diet with a generous slice of LC and it is working well for me. I am trying to educate my HCP's about the Low Carb message but their hands are tied by NICE and the practice manager / CCG. I think these are the real powers behind the throne that we need to get on board. I like your interpretation of NICE that allows you to do what you do. I see the GP journals are beginning to move into place too.

Will try with my MP but not going to hold my breath. Had better luck yesterday with the Pre-op assessment nurse assessing me for my anaesthetic needs (I AM talking about LC message here........!) She is becoming a supporter although not diabetic herself, she does see success stories and realises the potential savings that the NHS could make.

ADDENDUM: Done. Fingers crossed. (legs also crossed - damned diabetes!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Twitter has some coverage @APPG_diabetes

Can't find any official record of debate yet.