Help! -a Great Low-carb Opportunity In Parliament

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Attepting to oblige but system is currently playing silly devils with my email....
ETA - all done now (hopefully!)

Robbity

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Done but I ammended the letter a little

Dear ******

I live in your constituency at *******
Please would you attend an upcoming parliamentary event about a drug-free, approach to helping people with diabetes ( particularly type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes, so about 10% of the general population and higher in an area such as ours with a high South Asian population) manage the condition and (for some) put the disease into remission.
I personally have been diagnosed with diabetes for over 20 years and combine low dose medication and a lower carb diet in order to produce blood results in the non diabetic range.
Very low calorie diets also have a growing evidence base as another way of stopping the disease in its tracks and is employed by some GPs and patients
Dr David Unwin RCGP Diabetes Champion is presenting about low carb diabetes work as the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair) 5pm Wednesday June 27th committee room 11
Regards

Last edited:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PLEASE would you consider contacting your MP??. We need political clout to help us get our approach out there- and a great opportunity approaches- I will be presenting the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair) 5pm Wednesday June 27th committee room 11 Parliament. The more MPs who attend the better.

-use Google to find who your MP is and their e-mail- several sites just need your postcode.
I have penned a suggested letter below

Dear X

I live in your constituency at (address)
PLEASE would you attend an important parliamentary event about drug-free, money saving, diabetes remission and giving hope to people with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes (10% of the population).

Dr David Unwin RCGP Diabetes Champion is presenting important low carb diabetes work in Parliament as the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair) 5pm Wednesday June 27th committee room 11

Please support people like me with diabetes by attending, and possibly even publicise this event through your many contacts

I've just sent an email to my GP along those lines. I felt the need to make more of the fact that the current standard advice from GPs is not great, in case that gave him an extra kick up the **** to attend.

Thanks for your efforts.

Mine was:

Dear Mr. Kawczynski,

I live in your constituency at ***.

You will know that diabetes is a major problem affecting millions of people in the UK, and it is on the rise.

I have T2 diabetes and have been making great progress in health improvements without medication, largely through dietary changes which many other people are having similar success with.

The benefits of these dietary changes are well supported in recent scientific studies, but sadly the diet bears little resemblance to the standard advice given by GPs, or the diet suggested by the NHS EatWell plate. Furthermore, there is good evidence that the NHS EatWell plate, if followed, could be contributing to incidences of T2.

I would be very grateful if you could attend an important parliamentary event about drug-free, money saving, diabetes remission via a new dietary approach.

Dr David Unwin, RCGP Diabetes Champion, is presenting important low carb diabetes work in Parliament as the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair). The event is at 5pm Wednesday June 27th, in committee room 11.

Please support people like me with diabetes by attending, and possibly even publicising this event through your contacts.

Thank you for your time,

Adam.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll add my own to the list od "Done"s shortly. My MP is David Tredinnick, who has a special interest in complemenatry medicines.

I'm not sure if you're overly familiar with Keith Vaz's, interests, @Southport GP , but a snippet on his own diabetes is here: http://www.diabetesadvice.co.uk/real-stories/keith-vaz-my-story-with-diabetes

He was also involved in the setting up of the charity Silver Star.:http://www.silverstaruk.org/ Their Mobile Diabetes Units get about a bit, doing risk assessments.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Done, my MP is William Wragg, however, he is well known for ignoring letters and email, with a very low response rate.

Reactions: Southport GP

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
PLEASE would you consider contacting your MP??. We need political clout to help us get our approach out there- and a great opportunity approaches- I will be presenting the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair) 5pm Wednesday June 27th committee room 11 Parliament. The more MPs who attend the better.

-use Google to find who your MP is and their e-mail- several sites just need your postcode.
I have penned a suggested letter below

Dear X

I live in your constituency at (address)
PLEASE would you attend an important parliamentary event about drug-free, money saving, diabetes remission and giving hope to people with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes (10% of the population).

Dr David Unwin RCGP Diabetes Champion is presenting important low carb diabetes work in Parliament as the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair) 5pm Wednesday June 27th committee room 11

Please support people like me with diabetes by attending, and possibly even publicise this event through your many contacts
All done :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I will attempt to convince my MP Barry Sheerman to attend but I hold out little hope as he seems to be a bit of a clock watcher. Good luck with the meeting.

Reactions: dbr10

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Done but I ammended the letter a little

Dear ******

I live in your constituency at *******
Please would you attend an upcoming parliamentary event about a drug-free, approach to helping people with diabetes ( particularly type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes, so about 10% of the general population and higher in an area such as ours with a high South Asian population) manage the condition and (for some) put the disease into remission.
I personally have been diagnosed with diabetes for over 20 years and combine low dose medication and a lower carb diet in order to produce blood results in the non diabetic range.
Very low calorie diets also have a growing evidence base as another way of stopping the disease in its tracks and is employed by some GPs and patients
Dr David Unwin RCGP Diabetes Champion is presenting about low carb diabetes work as the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair) 5pm Wednesday June 27th committee room 11
Regards
My MP is Mike Gapes. Going by the autoreply to emails tho ( very busy, team will look at all e mails, only constituency issues etc etc) I dont hold out a great deal of hope that he’ll become aware of the event, let alone attend.

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I will email my MP. Our borough has one of the highest rates of T2 in the country. I have spoken to her about the benefits of lchf, and she said her sister is T2. But her office does receive hundreds of emails every day, so she might not actually have it brought to her attention.
So I will also write it out and as I will probably see her on Tuesday I'll give the letter to her personally.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My MP is Mike Gapes. Going by the autoreply to emails tho ( very busy, team will look at all e mails, only constituency issues etc etc) I dont hold out a great deal of hope that he’ll become aware of the event, let alone attend.
I got that too from Mr Loughton.. do you think they all have the same generic "p**s off constituent" reply? Maybe it comes with the MP e-mail account?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got that too from Mr Loughton.. do you think they all have the same generic "p**s off constituent" reply? Maybe it comes with the MP e-mail account?
I haven’t had any response, not even an auto reply :(

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whenever I email my MP, on any subject, I get the same kind of dismissive replies; so much so, that I don't usually bother reading them. But I do know that he's had to read mine, even if he does nothing about it.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone from South West Surrey? We need Jeremy Hunt to be there.
Having spent years in the NHS, Id say we need Jeremy Hunt to be able to hear
The fine art of stonewalling constituents is probably somewhere in the new mps induction pack, probably under something like ‘information management” or more cynically “engagement”