Help please!!!

Flic2019

okay. This isn’t something I talk about. I’m currently trying to “help myself” but how is dealing with diabetes possible alongside binge eating disorder.

Honestly I’m at a loss. I’m so at a loss. And I know your gonna get annoyed at me for posting but I’m struggling so bad!! I’ve self harmed this week. I haven’t done that for about 3 years.

Everything is falling to rubbish and I don’t know what to do. Please feel free to ignore this.
(Currently writing this after a binge. Literally hate myself right now :( )

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Flic2019
Why would we be annoyed? It sounds like the only person down on you right now is you.
You know self harm may be a release but it is not a solution.
The binge, well it’s over now and nothing will change it so we just have to within avoiding the next.
Has something happened to trigger?

Reactions: Prem51 and Shas3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely no annoyance here, or it must be the annoyance that I don't know anything to say to help you, wish I could! So please keep posting, we won't ignore.

I'm afraid this won't be very helpful but want to mention anyway: The bingeing and harming is a disorder, just like diabetes or an allergy is. It's not something you do to yourself, it's just bad luck and you try to manage as good as you can.

I'll keep my fingers crossed things will look a bit brighter soon. I don't have experience with eating disorders but I know way too well how horrible those self hating black holes are.

Big hug, and keep us updated!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
okay. This isn’t something I talk about. I’m currently trying to “help myself” but how is dealing with diabetes possible alongside binge eating disorder.

Honestly I’m at a loss. I’m so at a loss. And I know your gonna get annoyed at me for posting but I’m struggling so bad!! I’ve self harmed this week. I haven’t done that for about 3 years.

Everything is falling to rubbish and I don’t know what to do. Please feel free to ignore this.
Not a single ounce of annoyance here and I really do empathise because I had the same problem myself. We want to hear about your problems and help you the best we can, that's what the forum is all about. Diabetes and blood sugars can really screw with your sense of worth but never should you think you are any less than you truly are because you're doing your best. What you need to do is get up, dust yourself off and keep moving forwards with making healthy lifestyle choices and if the going gets tough? We're all here for you. It'd be good to identify what sparked it all off and perhaps keep something as a reminder of positivity in those times?

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't be so hard on yourself. Try to use Mindfulness, a great technique which can be self taught and there are lots of resources available - if you can, to calm down and consider carefully what is triggering the bingeing........once you can actually identify triggers, you can start to put plans in place to manage them or avoid them. I know that most eating problems do not fall within mental health services - generally only anorexia nervosa does - not bulimia or other eating issues. There are primary mental health counselling services in all areas and they take self referrals - you could ask at your GP surgery for details of the local service, they might be able to help with short CBT type courses.

And don't be scared to share your feelings here, it will help and people will support you. Take some steps to wellness as soon as you can, by trying to identify those triggers. We are all with you on this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you have a local branch of Mind locally do self-refer to them for some relevant counselling or group courses. I work with my local Mind and know the good work they do.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am trying to find kinds of foods or treats that one can binge in without doing that much harm... like whipped cream with sucralose and raspberries in, mostly frozen for a kind of ice cream .. it tastes wonderful... or cooking my favorite hot meal like mustard creme sauce with mushrooms and chopped pork meat ... and so on... it might help you if you learn to make some of the wonderful treats in low carb cuisine and store a lot of it in your freezer or kitchen and always have a lot in store

https://sugarfreelondoner.com/category/desserts/

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Please see your GP about the self-harm and eating disorder, there is help out here.
Please don't be scared we understand here.
Please see someone urgently if you have injuries etc.
Maybe look at distraction techniques etc.
Take care

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
First forgive yourself!!! That's all anyone can ever do.
And seek some help to deal with whatever you are going through right now.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You're not annoying anyone here, and there's no reason to hate yourself. As others stated, this is a bona-fide disorder, not something you chose to have. Do try to get help. In the meantime, rid the house of high carb foods. If you must binge, do it with low or no carb foods like pork scratchings, cheese, olives, that sort of thing... If you can't control the binging at the moment, maybe you can control what you binge on. That would help your bloodsugars immensely.

Take care of yourself. You are worth it.
Hugs,
Jo

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
And I know your gonna get annoyed at me for posting but I’m struggling so bad!! I’ve self harmed this week. I haven’t done that for about 3 years.

I'm not annoyed. Maybe, I'm not the best person to offer personal advice, my brain seems to work on logic.
There was a time when I drank too much, but I knew that it would lead to an early death, earlier than I wanted anyway, so I stopped, it was a "no brainer".

I've also had my fair share of problems with prescribed medication, so avoiding medication by lowering carbs was the obvious way forward, another no brainer. It might take a while to see the logic, but once my brain gets there, it's a lot easier.

I can't comment on self harming, I can only suggest seeking help and start by talking to your GP.

All the very best.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hello Flic
Just to say it is good you 'reached out' - at least you know that you needed some help! I am type 1 and spent lots of my 20s binge eating, vowing to starve myself and failing. It was horribly isolating, shameful and tiring.
Binge Eating is a real thing and not some kind of moral failing. I don't think it is about being greedy or out of control but more that certain foods are addictive (and made to be so) and certain people get booked on these foods. Maybe you get pleasure from the first bites but by the time you get to the bottom of a tub of ice cream you're chasing the next tasty thrill as well as feeling disgusting/disgusted etc. That was how I felt anyway and I am not presuming to understand what triggers you to eat but obviously your drug of choice is all around you and it is tough to quit even if you know you are not happy or healthy doing this.
I needed help (anti depressants and some therapy) for my problem and now I have a great relationship with food, and diabetes was my ticket to the medics taking it seriously! There is hope but you will have to push for what you need.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone I promise I’m not ignoring you.
Will try and sit down later and reply to everyone xxx

don´t worry you also don´t need to answer every one of us... If you stay in this forum you´ll find lots of kind people sharing their struggles in many various ways... welcome among us... very many of us struggle

Reactions: Diakat and Shas3