Help with Levemir dosage pls!

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I know I should really know this but am going through a very difficult time right now and could use some help...

Currently on MDI as pump funding ran out earlier in year and due to personal reasons I'm staying on them for time being.

Prescribed Degludec by hospital consultant as this works better for me than Levemir which I tried splitting 2xday but still ended up with bad hypos.

GP surgery refusing to continue prescribing Degludec as they haven't been given specific instruction in consultant letter. Saw DSN last week and she is writing to Surgery but they haven't received Hospital letter yet.

I've contacted Hospital as Surgery are still refusing to prescribe and waiting to hear back.

Surgery are giving me Levemir again but I can't remember how to split dose...and worried about overnight hypos.

Currently on 26u of Degludec...should I split it evenly into 13u am and pm?

Thanks,

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @mariposa84

If I was in your shoes i'd go straight back to your DSN and explain the situation rather than trying to change back to levemir and then back to degludec again, they should be able to get this situation resolved but call them now to sort this out for you.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply @Juicyj. I rang and left them a voicemail yesterday and they're usually very good at responding. I've only got today's dose left...which is my fault.

Hi @mariposa84

If I was in your shoes i'd go straight back to your DSN and explain the situation rather than trying to change back to levemir and then back to degludec again, they should be able to get this situation resolved but call them now to sort this out for you.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for your reply @Juicyj. I rang and left them a voicemail yesterday and they're usually very good at responding. I've only got today's dose left...which is my fault.
I'd be tempted to ring 111 and explain your issue.... Tell them that you don't know what dosage to use and tell them none of your health providers have got back to you to give you the dosage. Would they give you more degludec if you went to A&E?

Reactions: mariposa84

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Call them again - unfortunately sometimes these things get missed, the teams are helpful so they should sort quickly once on the case, don't worry about making a fuss of yourself and btw we've all done this at some point so they are well used to dealing with things like this x

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the advice @EllieM.

I may end up having to take the 111/A&E route tomorrow, but surgery have said they would send a prescription through to chemist for Levemir by the end of today. I really hope they have some in stock...

Doubt they'd give me degludec in A&E...I wish they could understand that consultants prescribe it for a reason ie. that other options haven't worked for a particular patient.

I'd be tempted to ring 111 and explain your issue.... Tell them that you don't know what dosage to use and tell them none of your health providers have got back to you to give you the dosage. Would they give you more degludec if you went to A&E?