Help

Mini24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's me again ,mimi24. I need help, as I am still waiting to see the diabetes team i will need a little assistant as I am in the dark as to foods.I can.../not eat i know you need to cut sweetyhings and carbs but is it the sugars in carbs you need to look at such 5.5 grams per 30g or 100g . I am really confused and hungry thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When looking at labels just check the carbohydrate value, ignore the 'of which sugars' part as this number is already included in the carb value. Good Luck.

Edited to add.
Keep an eye out for serving suggestion values, most labels will give the values per 100g but some sneaky manufacturers will give values per serving which is usually far less than 100g and would need a bit of maths to work out.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, if anyone could correct me if I’m wrong. I was taught that sugar is gram for gram in carbs, so 1g sugar = 1g carbs. You look at labels that say “of which carbohydrates” from my understanding carbs is sugar. Lets say 1 oreo biscuit, it weighs 11g. Each biscuit is 7.5g of carbs according to the label. If you are type 2 and eating 40-50g of carbs a day, you’ll have to weigh it up and judge if that biscuit is worth eating and if it’s going to spike your bg. Carbs are also in certain fruits, veggies, sauces, drinks. But majority of it is in breads, rice, pastas, biscuits, anything potato.

D

Deleted Account

@Mini24 it must be incredibly frustrating to be left in the dark by your GP. I feel for you.
As you have seen this forum is great for helping out.

Some people use the Search at the top of the page to see if similar questions have been asked before.
To help future us (people in the future who have the questions we have today) find the relevant threads, it is really useful if you could use a title that describes your question. It only has to be short and doesn't have to be the whole question. For example, this thread could be "What carb/sugar do I count?"

Good luck with your journey. I hope you find out more soon.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello, if anyone could correct me if I’m wrong. I was taught that sugar is gram for gram in carbs, so 1g sugar = 1g carbs. You look at labels that say “of which carbohydrates” from my understanding carbs is sugar. Lets say 1 oreo biscuit, it weighs 11g. Each biscuit is 7.5g of carbs according to the label. If you are type 2 and eating 40-50g of carbs a day, you’ll have to weigh it up and judge if that biscuit is worth eating and if it’s going to spike your bg. Carbs are also in certain fruits, veggies, sauces, drinks. But majority of it is in breads, rice, pastas, biscuits, anything potato.
Sugar is a carb. Why they differentiate between sugar and total carbs is beyond me but that is how they do it.

To the OP/ Some manufacturers are helpful enough to give values per biscuit but the other way to find out is to go to a Supermarket website and see the nutritional values in full on screen so that you are not peering at tiny print on labels (I sometimes do not see a decimal point on a label).

Reactions: jjraak

Mini24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks so basic count the whole carb per 100g.what are carrots and pineapple okay.it looks like i am going to be living on fruit vegies and not much more at the minute

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks so basic count the whole carb per 100g.what are carrots and pineapple okay.it looks like i am going to be living on fruit vegies and not much more at the minute

Pineapples are high in carbs compared to carrots. Certain berries might be a better option - blueberries, blackberries, raspberries etc. Even I have to inject for pineapples :(

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is a carb. Why they differentiate between sugar and total carbs is beyond me but that is how they do it.

To the OP/ Some manufacturers are helpful enough to give values per biscuit but the other way to find out is to go to a Supermarket website and see the nutritional values in full on screen so that you are not peering at tiny print on labels (I sometimes do not see a decimal point on a label).

True, it’ll make our lives a lot easier if they stuck it under one label.

Mini24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't like chese eggs not a big fan as this are bad for you but I eat chicken steak etc

D

Deleted Account

There is a book and app which helps many people work out how many carbs are in your meals, whether pineapple is good, whether carrots are bad, etc.
This is called Carbs and Cals.
Many people with diabetes describe it as their bible.

Another place you could start is www.dietdoctor.com
This website contains lots of ideas for low carb meals and is another bible for people managing their diabetes with diet.

Over time you will get used to what is high and what is low carb.
There are some rules of thumb like
- meat is low carb
- fish is low carb
- vegetables grown above the ground is low carb
- vegetables grown below the ground is higher carb
- most fruit is higher carb
- berries are lower carb
- nuts are lower carb
- cheese is low carb
- eggs are zero carb
- be careful of preprepared sauces ... most will contain carbs
- grain-based food (cereal, bread, pasta, ...) are high carb

Reactions: Viv19 and jjraak

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

It's surprisingly useful for T1s when we're assessing how far in advance to inject ahead of a meal.

If an item is, say, 30g carbs, of which 25g is sugars, that'll absorb very quickly, so we may be inclined to inject quite far in advance of the meal to give the insulin more time to get to work, so our bg is already on a downwards trend before the "fast" sugar hits gets quickly into stream.

Whereas, if it is 30g of which only 4g is sugar, that would indicate a more slowly absorbing food as the majority of it will be longer chain carbs which take time to breakdown and absorb, and in that situation we absolutely don't want the insulin activity peaking too early, so we will tail back the pre-injection time substantially to avoid a hard drop.

It's broadly related to the idea of GI, and makes a surprising difference in matching insulin timing to food absorption when taken into account.

Mini24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi big thanks to everyone.I also have 6 other meds conditions which I have to take meds for.so some foods i can not eat because of these.what happens if you eat sugar and your blood sugar goes to high

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi big thanks to everyone.I also have 6 other meds conditions which I have to take meds for.so some foods i can not eat because of these.what happens if you eat sugar and your blood sugar goes to high
You'll have to ask your DSN or team. anything high sugar and carbs will sky rocket your BG very quickly and if it's high carbs and low sugar, it'll be more slow acting.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I don't like chese eggs not a big fan as this are bad for you but I eat chicken steak etc
You may need to read more widely about cheese and eggs. One thing that many of us have learned is that a low fat diet does not work well for diabetics,
And that fat is not bad unless we eat so much that we put on too much weight.
It is carbs that are the problem.
If you look at the Home oage --> type 2 diabetes --> diets, you will see a variety of options.
Please look at these and ask about the pros and cons of each as you continue learning and continue asking questions as no question is too basic or simple. We have all asked what later have seemed like obvious questions, it is all part of learning and lessening one' s confusion! Best Wishes:):):)

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's surprisingly useful for T1s when we're assessing how far in advance to inject ahead of a meal.

If an item is, say, 30g carbs, of which 25g is sugars, that'll absorb very quickly, so we may be inclined to inject quite far in advance of the meal to give the insulin more time to get to work, so our bg is already on a downwards trend before the "fast" sugar hits gets quickly into stream.

Whereas, if it is 30g of which only 4g is sugar, that would indicate a more slowly absorbing food as the majority of it will be longer chain carbs which take time to breakdown and absorb, and in that situation we absolutely don't want the insulin activity peaking too early, so we will tail back the pre-injection time substantially to avoid a hard drop.

It's broadly related to the idea of GI, and makes a surprising difference in matching insulin timing to food absorption when taken into account.
Thanks @Scott-C
most illuminating.

Cheers for posting that explanation
nice and clear..

Reactions: Scott-C

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks scott i never knew that and will find this info very useful

Mini24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anybody know why when I tested my bs on different fingers from from my left hand and right hand I got different readings .should they both be the same? 10.6.left hand 8.6 right hand please help