Hi, I was diagnosed with T2D. Is a 6.1 mmol/L 2 hours after lunch good?

Sylve

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with T2D 2 weeks ago. The doctor said my fasting blood results were 99 and normal is 48. So am now taking Metformin twice daily. Today’s reading, 2 hours after food is 6.1 mmol/L. Is this good?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with T2D 2 weeks ago. The doctor said my fasting blood results were 99 and normal is 48. So am now taking Metformin twice daily. Today’s reading, 2 hours after food is 6.1 mmol/L. Is this good?
Hello, and welcome!

That's not your fasting blood results, that's your HbA1c. (A 3 month average, weighing heavily on the last 2 weeks). 48 Would be prediabetic, normal is 41 and under. With 99 you were rather high up there, but.... Two hours after food, 6.1 mmol/l seems quite excellent, though I don't know what the numbers were before you started eating. You're aiming for a rise of no more, and preferably less, than 2,0 mmol/l. So I'd say you're making good progress. ;) Is metformin the only change you've made, or did you alter your diet? Also, if you had a very fatty and carb-rich food, the spike can be delayed (It's called a pizza effect, as they're notorious for it).

Anyway, hope that helps. :)
Jo

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Sylve,
As JoKalsbeek says, the long answer is that it depends upon what your pre-meal figure was and what you ate. The short answer is that is it almost certainly very good.

Sylve

Hello, and welcome!

That's not your fasting blood results, that's your HbA1c. (A 3 month average, weighing heavily on the last 2 weeks). 48 Would be prediabetic, normal is 41 and under. With 99 you were rather high up there, but.... Two hours after food, 6.1 mmol/l seems quite excellent, though I don't know what the numbers were before you started eating. You're aiming for a rise of no more, and preferably less, than 2,0 mmol/l. So I'd say you're making good progress. ;) Is metformin the only change you've made, or did you alter your diet? Also, if you had a very fatty and carb-rich food, the spike can be delayed (It's called a pizza effect, as they're notorious for it).

Anyway, hope that helps. :)
Jo

Sylve

Hi Jo, thanks for your comments. I have completely changed my eating habits to low carb/ sugar foods. I’m walking more too. Today is the first time I’ve monitored blood/glucose myself. From reading posts , on this forum, testing should happen in the morning and 2 hours after food so I’ll record my results today.

Sylve

Hi Sylve,
As JoKalsbeek says, the long answer is that it depends upon what your pre-meal figure was and what you ate. The short answer is that is it almost certainly very good.
Hi Ian, I’m new to testing my own blood/glucose levels and today is the first time I’ve tried it. Once I’m into the swing of things I’ll be testing more frequently

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo, thanks for your comments. I have completely changed my eating habits to low carb/ sugar foods. I’m walking more too. Today is the first time I’ve monitored blood/glucose myself. From reading posts , on this forum, testing should happen in the morning and 2 hours after food so I’ll record my results today.
The point of 2 hours after food is so you can see the difference between what it was fasting, and what the rise was. So before and 2 hours after. Testing in the morning doesn't really have to happen every day, as your fasting blood sugars in the morning'll be the last ones to come down. (Your liver needs time to get used to the new normal, and until it does it'll just dump glucose to a level it thinks you should be at in the morning.) If you do them once a week, or every fortnight, that's indicator enough, and saves you expensive strips you can use well elsewhere. But I think it's pretty safe to say your diet is having one heck of an impact, because if you came from a HbA1c of 99, and you're seeing sixes now (which is thoroughly in the normal range!), well... Metformin cannot make that much of a difference. So you're doing really well, and at your next review you're going to see a jaw drop at the other side of the desk.

You're rocking this. :)
Jo

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

Sylve

The point of 2 hours after food is so you can see the difference between what it was fasting, and what the rise was. So before and 2 hours after. Testing in the morning doesn't really have to happen every day, as your fasting blood sugars in the morning'll be the last ones to come down. (Your liver needs time to get used to the new normal, and until it does it'll just dump glucose to a level it thinks you should be at in the morning.) If you do them once a week, or every fortnight, that's indicator enough, and saves you expensive strips you can use well elsewhere. But I think it's pretty safe to say your diet is having one heck of an impact, because if you came from a HbA1c of 99, and you're seeing sixes now (which is thoroughly in the normal range!), well... Metformin cannot make that much of a difference. So you're doing really well, and at your next review you're going to see a jaw drop at the other side of the desk.

You're rocking this. :)
Jo

Oh wow Jo thanks for the positivity. Just the boost I needed.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow Jo thanks for the positivity. Just the boost I needed.
Well.... It's justified. You are doing well and you deserve the pat on the back that goes with it. I know it's hard, especially when you're starting out. So seeing the numbers you're seeing now, really is nothing short of amazing. Hat's off to you.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
A 6.1 after a meal is pretty awesome! Great work!