Hi

Chris Mills

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I find myself a little confused about it all to be honest, I dont really understand what is best to eat or not eat, so hoping to learn a little by joining here, thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum - there are a lot of new people joining up at the moment all with similar confusion.
The key thing to understand is we can't deal with carbohydrates very well - those are starches and sugars.
Meat, fish, eggs, cheese, all good, low carb veges, usually above ground grown are also good for a few carbs, salad stuff too - to avoid, grains, potatoes and root vegetables, though I have small amounts of roasted carrots and parsnips along with swede turnip and celeriac, having checked with a blood glucose meter to establish that it is OK. I have full fat yoghurt, and cream.
I have a mug of coffee in the mornings with a tiny amount of salt (because I have no other source) a pinch of cinnamon, and cream - and I froth it up with my Bamix.
Breakfast might well be steak and mushrooms, maybe with a green sweet pepper and courgette tossed into the pan if it is going to be a long day out of the house. In the hot months a large salad with cheese and eggs, or tuna, or chopped cold meat is good.
Personally I find the low carb diet is no problem at all as it is delicious, and not very complicated.

Reactions: Lotties

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's some times useful to share some details about your situation if your comfortable with that. Helps with understanding what advice and things might be relevent and useful.

Rough age bracket and your HBA1C result are good share. Any medication for it?.

There are lots of paths and advice to look into, fundimentaly it's about reducing your carb intake and if possible increasing your excersise. You can do one without the other, bit the best results are hitting both at once ')

No question is a silly question, lots of people have been where you have been.l and many are beating it into submission :)

Reactions: jjraak

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have come to the best place to get help and support for diabetics.

Read the link given by @Rachox - its contains a lot of helpful information

The best piece of advice I got was to get a meter and test what effect different foods have on your blood sugar levels.

Good luck, welcome and feel free to ask any question- people here are very willing to help.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you. This forum is excellent, there's a good mix and plenty of experience. I went straight on low carb/high fat and it's working for weight loss. I also (following advice from folks on here) bought myself a blood glucose meter, as I'm unlikely to get one from the NHS. It's great for motivation - you see results pretty quickly - and working out what really makes the BG spike.

Probably best of all, someone on here pointed me to Marston's Resolution. Low-carb beer, under 2g a small bottle. Can't go daft on it and it isn't the greatest beer in the world but I had thought I was facing a totally beer-less future...

12oz sirloin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably best of all, someone on here pointed me to Marston's Resolution. Low-carb beer, under 2g a small bottle. Can't go daft on it and it isn't the greatest beer in the world but I had thought I was facing a totally beer-less future...

Or if you prefer the cold and fizzy type of beer (like me :D), Michelob Ultra only has 2g of carbs in a 330ml bottle. Sainsburys have started selling it now, and it has a fairly decent taste in moderation.

Reactions: KennyA

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or if you prefer the cold and fizzy type of beer (like me :D), Michelob Ultra only has 2g of carbs in a 330ml bottle. Sainsburys have started selling it now, and it has a fairly decent taste in moderation.
I've found another one - Skinny Lager. Website claims it's being sold in Asda and Tesco. I found mine in a B&M for next to nothing. It's 3g carbs in a 330ml bottle. Problem is it may be low carb but tastes pretty awful. It has that cheap lager fizzy thin-ness. I suppose better than nothing, but not much.