Hidden Side of Type 1 Diabetes

Zee101

Hellooo guys, this is my first time using this website so hopefully I'm able to make friends here as I currently have not met any other type 1 diabetics.

I wanted to ask/talk about something unusual that has been occuring to me over the past year but more so in the past few months. Does anyone else have an issue where they dont wake up but they are able to hear those around you?? Like not sleep paralysis but you just know you're unconscious basically. It has really frustrated and concerned me and i dont know if its uncommon because i know i know you usually feel week when having a hypo but no one has ever spoken about this.

Please share your thoughts!! Im 17 and have been a diabetic since i was 9.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, that's a bit weird. Try doing a blood test when you finally wake to see if you've been hypo - I've had some very strange vivid dreams in that situation.

I've certainly had dreams where I've been convinced that certain strange things have happened, and once awake have had to spend some time working out logically why such a thing hadn't happened.

Welcome to the forums. Plenty of T1s (and others) willing to talk about anything and everything and generally give support about all things diabetic (and non diabetic).

But as regards your original question, do you think you could just be having a vivid dream? If not, and it's worrying you, you could mention it to your doctor.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I've had some very weird dreams/thoughts/almost hallucinations that seem real when hypo, could it be something like that?
Do note though that hypo symptoms can be very unique to a person, and for a person can differ between times as well.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've always felt like hypos were a different state of consciousness and I had anxiety type dreams when I was drifting low but could not quite wake up! Never taken anything hallucinogenic so I don't really know and obviously the anxiety of the situation tends to trump the altered consciousness.
If you have a freestyle libre on you could perhaps see if this is what has been happening as you emerge from your dreamy sleep stage. I'd recommend them anyway but it is not always easy to get them on the NHS but they do give you an insiqht for the overnight blood sugars.
Best of luck and I hope you enjoy using the forum.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
This happens to me when I'm really exhausted. For me, it's unrelated to hypos.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Zee101 :)

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes back in my twenties I went through a phase of sleep issues and also experienced periods of believing I was in a party with lots of noise and chatter going on around me in the room when I was asleep on my own, I was travelling for work at the time so wasn't in a settled state mentally. It may not necessarily be linked directly to t1, however as others have mentioned you may of experienced low bg events so it would be wise to try and wake yourself to check what's happening there ?

Reactions: EllieM