Prediabetes High Blood Sugar in the Morning, low in the evening.

petetobin

I have had a couple of medical check-ups when my fasting Blood Sugar was measured in the morning and was in the high 6's low 7's. As my father died from diabetes, I decided to buy a machine to test my blood sugar at different times of the day. The thing I don't understand is that the reading is high in the morning but drops during the day. For instance, this morning when I got up it was 7.2 but just before my dinner it was 4.6 despite having eaten a light lunch and half a scone with my afternoon tea. This pattern seems to repeat every day with a 2 point drop between the morning and the early evening. Is this normal? I had assumed my blood sugar would be lowest first thing in the morning having fasted for 8 hours.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My insulin resistance is higher in the morning than the evenings, so I eat only a few carbs in the morning and the rest in the evening. It is not unusual.
In the morning a release of glucose by the liver raises levels.

petetobin

My insulin resistance is higher in the morning than the evenings, so I eat only a few carbs in the morning and the rest in the evening. It is not unusual.
In the morning a release of glucose by the liver raises levels.

So I guess you will say that in my case Fasting Glucose level is not a great way of knowing if I have a problem and I should have the proper Hba1c91 test?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I guess you will say that in my case Fasting Glucose level is not a great way of knowing if I have a problem and I should have the proper Hba1c91 test?

Correct. The morning numbers are the last to come down. Ignore for now, no matter how annoying they are, concentrate on your meals for now.

petetobin

I ate my dinner at 19.30 and have had a couple of glasses of wine and some cheddars since. My blood sugar at 21.30 is 7.4.