High blood sugar readings

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today I ate a little and my partner (who is amazing) took me and the dog for a walk and that was hours ago and I wasnt sick. First time ive not been sick at night for ages and ages.feeling positive now and doggedly determined to rid myself of this disorder that has plagued me all my adult life.i'm gonna put my sloa cooker into good use and see if I can make a "good stew" made up of chicken and veg and tdy a little each day.without you out there I couldn't have envisaged a night without the vomitting but its happened and I'm feeling good.i know its only happened the once but its a start and I'm happy with that.my gp is wanting me on metformin but he didnt dare prescribe it until hes spoken go the dietician at the hospital on monday perhaps then my readings may not be so high(heres hoping) x x

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if your issue is that you the way you get your nutrition is to eat the same stuff every day for days on end, then how about you try this

Get the biggest pot you can find, buy some meat with fat on it and bones - eg lamb shanks, throw in all the vegetables you can find - spinach, kale, cabbage, mushroom, onion, tomato, cauliflower , green beans, broccoli ( basically if it grown above ground and its green its great.- ( exclude below ground vegetables especially parsnips and potatoes) add in some olive oil and some butter , vinegar , salt and pepper, simmer the mixture for three hours. Put the whole lot in your fridge, if you microwave a portion of that three time a day for three week things then you will be getting pretty much all the nutrients you need, and your compulsive behaviour at doing it won't damage your health further.

If you got used to that then you could simply switch to another type of meat the next time - pork, lamb beef and maybe start mixing it up by adding some spices, each time you would still be eating the same food all the time, except that this time that "same food" would be a nutricious mix of the good stuff instead of something that is not giving your body the nutrient it needs.

I don't have an eating disorder, but I have found doing the above invaluable in both trying to bring down my blood sugars and losing weight because it means I always have a snack handy which is both good for me and tastes really nice that I can simply warm up a spoonful if I feel the need to eat. I make my stew at the weekend, then pretty much eat it all week - I mix it up a bit so sometimes I take half a cup without any of the meat and add water to turn it into a "cup-a soup", sometimes I take it with some meat and add cream to make a very filling stew, sometimes I add a bit of wine, sometimes some different vegetables - eg cauliflower and butter mashed .
so you could see if you can do the same thing and gradually get better at eating a bit more variety.
I hope that helps !

then mayb graduating to eating the stew with some freshly done vegetables - eg sprout on the side.
Thankyou for taking time to read my posts.i'm going to get my slow cooker out and try it. I'm so desperate.my boyfriends cousin died 3 wks ago from diabetes and hes so scared its going to happen to happen to me.i need to do this for us both x x

Reactions: debrasue

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you can do it, give it a try. Your boyfriend will be so pleased ;) As will we all. in the end no matter where we start from we all need to do what we can to fix things and I'm sure you can too ( hugs)

Reactions: Jogreen21

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you can do it, give it a try. Your boyfriend will be so pleased ;) As will we all. in the end no matter where we start from we all need to do what we can to fix things and I'm sure you can too ( hugs)
Thankyou for reading my posts.this site is truly amazing and for once in my life I dont feel alone in this.ive been in a very dark place for so long but I'm now beginning to see the light.i have so far to go but I hope with every bone in my body that I can do this.I cant remember the last time I felt happy but now I do.i know I'm only on the first rung of a very long ladder but its better than not being on the ladder at all x x x

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really should check my blood again now as its been a few hours but when i think of doing it my heart begins to race so I darent do it in case its too high and them I'll feel unhappy again x

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ive done it and its 12-6. I know its still too high but its lower than its been at this time all week so I'm ok with it and not unhappy x

Reactions: Chunters

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, its 04-10am. I'm still awake unable to sleep because I have eaten (yesterday) I have feelings of nausea (not vomitted which is a plus) but why on earth o havd these feelings I'll never know but I'd love to find out as I need some sleep.i try and close my eyes but all I see is the food bulging away jn my stomach! I pray that I can do this but its just so hard.at this precise moment I feel a strong urge to eat something like icecream then I can vomit and feel better,but I'm not going to because ive made up my mind I can do this and if it means sleepless nights then so be it !! Its got to be better than making myself sick and I can always catch up on sleep anytime x

D

debrasue

Well, its 04-10am. I'm still awake unable to sleep because I have eaten (yesterday) I have feelings of nausea (not vomitted which is a plus) but why on earth o havd these feelings I'll never know but I'd love to find out as I need some sleep.i try and close my eyes but all I see is the food bulging away jn my stomach! I pray that I can do this but its just so hard.at this precise moment I feel a strong urge to eat something like icecream then I can vomit and feel better,but I'm not going to because ive made up my mind I can do this and if it means sleepless nights then so be it !! Its got to be better than making myself sick and I can always catch up on sleep anytime x
Well done honey - you're an inspiration! And watching those BGs dropping bit by bit will give you even more strength and determination.
You CAN do this - you're a winner!

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be a physical feeling as much as a mental one @Jogreen21 If you've been being sick for a long time, then your body could be used to sending you signals like that.

Try to think of the food in your tummy as releasing crucial nourishment to your body rather than just being an unwanted lump of food.

You're doing really well :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Withdrawal from anything is hard, your body will tell you that you need to do exactly what you did before even though your mind knows its wrong.

There is actually a reason for this.
Whenever you engage in a behaviour the neural pathways that instruct you to do it get a little stronger and become a bit more dominant. That is why for example, someone can drive a car between two familiar places and sometimes not even notice they are doing it but driving somewhere new can be tiring.

It is also documented that some women who escape violent relationships then find themselves entering into a new relationship with yet another violent man. This is for the exact same reason. To their mind and body that behaviour is normal and to some extent even demanded even though they "know" that its a stupid thing to do and the entire situation is unimaginable to everyone else.

The good side of this is that every single time you manage to not do whatever is the destructive thing you are doing, you are strengthening a different neural pathway and weakening the first one. That is why the journey can get easier if you can make the first few steps because it won't always seem to be such a hard fight .

Next time your mind keeps drawing you to the food in your stomach see if instead you can imagine your neural pathways doing battle like David and Goliath - the one trying to get you to vomit is ugly , big and strong but it's losing, the one trying to hep you achieve what you want is a handsome but puny little thing and with each thrust of its sword its getting that tiny big bigger!

Last edited:

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh my days this is hard.after being awake all night I must have dropped asleep around 6-30am and woke at 8-45 am which has knocked my day out of synch.i tested after I'd been washed and its 18-9 !!! I washed my hands and retested but the result was the same
I feel fed up,unhappy,and again feel like giving in.but I wont.todays a new day and I will eat what I can when I can.i think I'm expecting too much,after all it was only one meal and no vomitting.ive just gone back to the start of the ladder.i'm now going to eat my egg,much earlier than yesterday but can then try maybe veg or even some chicken later today.i'll let you know how it goes and hope I can rid myself of feelings of failure.i just would like a day with proper results but I know that will come in time
Maybe I do need metformin as my doctor suggested but hes waiting until monday when hes spoken to the dietician at the hospital to make sure he can prescribe it with me having bulimia.x x

D

debrasue

Oh my days this is hard.after being awake all night I must have dropped asleep around 6-30am and woke at 8-45 am which has knocked my day out of synch.i tested after I'd been washed and its 18-9 !!! I washed my hands and retested but the result was the same
I feel fed up,unhappy,and again feel like giving in.but I wont.todays a new day and I will eat what I can when I can.i think I'm expecting too much,after all it was only one meal and no vomitting.ive just gone back to the start of the ladder.i'm now going to eat my egg,much earlier than yesterday but can then try maybe veg or even some chicken later today.i'll let you know how it goes and hope I can rid myself of feelings of failure.i just would like a day with proper results but I know that will come in time
Maybe I do need metformin as my doctor suggested but hes waiting until monday when hes spoken to the dietician at the hospital to make sure he can prescribe it with me having bulimia.x x
Stick with it sweetheart. You can do this, and we're all rooting for you! Big hugs xx

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is bound to take a while before your system deals with the fact that you are actually eating and not vomiting , at the moment I think your goal should simply be to try and get through each day with some low carb food and no vomiting - the doctors can't help you until they can be sure it will do any good, it doesn't really matter what your blood sugars are right now because you can't influence them by anything other than diet and that is exactly what you are now focusing on. Good luck in having a successful eating day.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks again everyone, I feel like a have a new family.ive put my feelings of failure awayband am focussing on the positive.(when I can find positive mind you!lol) x

Reactions: azure
S

serenity648

Thankyou so much x x

YOu are already doing really, really well. Both with your eating and your confronting and addressing your problems. You are one brave person!!!!

The MIND assessment phone call is just that, an assessment. Then they can work out how to help you. Its not the end of the process, its diagnostic. Your doctor should also be able to refer you to help

I think you are doing great with all this.

S

serenity648

You are NOT failing. Every moment which passes where you are dealing with this, even if it doesnt work out as well as you would like, is a WIN. I am awed by your courage and strength. This is really hard stuff you are dealing with.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou so much.its days like today when I wake up and my results are so high it scares me and I feel more pressured to eat and I begin to panic as I think if I eat its only going to get higher.i managed to eat (small amount only) yesterday evening and went for a walk with my boyfriend and trusty old dog so I was away from the bathroom.we were out over an hour and I wasnt sick at all.it felt a different sort of relief to the relief I feel after vomitting,I felt good.but after not being able to sleep I nodded off for a couple of hours then when I woke up I tested at over 18 and all the feelings of failure came flooding back.i will hear from my gp on monday to find out if hes going to prescribe me metformin (his suggestion) but he needs to discuss it first with a dietician.hence having to wait til monday.i dont really know anything about the metformin other than lots of people take it.i would just love even one day of 'normal' readings. I feel guilty with myself for allowing this eating disorder to have such a hold over me.its given me osteoperosis and diabetes and boy am I paying the price now.i felt so happy at bedtime last night but today I'm left wondering why my redults are so high,I feel a little unhappy and deflated. But on the positive side ive just eaten an egg and 2 mushrooms and I never eat so early in the day but ive got to start somewhere.keep your fingers crossed for me and I will post my result after waiting an hour.my mind is made up I WILL NOT BE SICK. So I'm going for a wall with my boyfriend and the dog!!1 x

Reactions: azure

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are NOT failing. Every moment which passes where you are dealing with this, even if it doesnt work out as well as you would like, is a WIN. I am awed by your courage and strength. This is really hard stuff you are dealing with.
X x x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Concentrate on your successes. It's easy to see all the 'failures' in our lives, but it's not so often we congratulate ourselves for the successes.

When I feel down or like I'm not doing as well as I could in life in general, I make myself think of 3 successes/good things that happened that day. They can be tiny things, they don't have to be major wins. The trick is to see the positives not the negatives :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Please, please try to get some small earphones and lusten to music when you are full of these anxious thoughts at night.

I have fought my way through horrible pain from mastectomy and radiotherapy and horrible anxious thoughts at night.

The music.. i just listen to Andean music (without words) does stop these anxious thoughts...

You have to try alternative ways of thinking. Your body has become used to acting this way... only you can change it.

Art therapy and colouring adult puctures is really good to but you need the light on and it won't make you tired to sleep.. i stayed up all night after my mastectomy jyst colouring, so I know it doesn't help with sleep but it does with tension and horrible thoughts.