High Hb1ac and pregnant. (Terrified)

Lilac_dust

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with Type 1 2 years ago and haven't had good control of my blood sugars since.

But I just found out im pregnant, ideally I would of loved to get everything under control yet here we are.

My Hb1ac just came back as 9.7 and after doing some reading online I am beyond terrified. I've had miscarriages before but this a whole new level of worry. I'm so scared I've caused deficits and put little baby at risk.

I'm now using a sensor abr averaging 8.9 and really kicking my **** into gear to get it lower every day.

Does anyone have success stories with starting pregnancy with high HB1acs? I need some positivity

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with Type 1 2 years ago and haven't had good control of my blood sugars since.

But I just found out im pregnant, ideally I would of loved to get everything under control yet here we are.

My Hb1ac just came back as 9.7 and after doing some reading online I am beyond terrified. I've had miscarriages before but this a whole new level of worry. I'm so scared I've caused deficits and put little baby at risk.

I'm now using a sensor abr averaging 8.9 and really kicking my **** into gear to get it lower every day.

Does anyone have success stories with starting pregnancy with high HB1acs? I need some positivity
So sad! My mother is also suffering from diabetics for a long period of time.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Lilac_dust (I like your username by the way).

You've unfortunately already had miscarriages so you know that some pregnancies (whether diabetic or non diabetic) are just not meant to be. Although a high hba1c makes this slightly more likely it's a probability game rather than a blame one. If things go wrong then chances are they would have gone wrong anyway, even if you weren't diabetic.

The good news is that your medical team will be able to do scans and detect any issues early, and give you the best possible help. T1s managed to have successful pregnancies 60 years ago before they even had glucometers, and my brother and I are both proof of that (T1 mother). So while in an ideal world your levels would have been lower, your team should help you reduce them and help you and your baby through the pregnancy.

Lots of virtual hugs and good wishes for you and your baby.

Edited to add. And congratulations on your pregnancy!

Lilac_dust

Just an update for anyone who may come across this.

I was able to get my levels down fairly quickly and my Hb1acs were somehow all in the target range throughout the pregnancy.

It was hard keeping them down, it was a constant battle with insulin. Every few days I kept increasing my insulin but my sugars were always up. My libre 2 sensor was a huge help at monitoring my levels constantly. Lows are far more dangerous then being high.

I delivered a healthy (but big) 9lb 10" girl at 36w 6d. She was large and would hate to think how big she would of been at 38 weeks when they were planning to induce (she came the day they gave me my induction date lol)

She did have to be put under uv lights for a few days to help her jaundice and had her poor little foot cut for so very many blood tests.
I dont know if the diabetes caused her to come early or if it was just my body saying enough (pregnancy was hard for me, not diabetes related)

I pumped during our stay at the hospital and have formula fed since getting home.

Shes now 13 weeks and has had no complications besides the usual constipation and reflux that all babies can get.

So for any mum to be worrying about having high levels before or during, just relax. Do the best you can.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Congratulations @Lilac_dust and thank you for coming back to share your inspiring story.

(Now the hard work begins, just wait till she's a teenager. :) )

Seriously, I am sure your story will be of great support to those starting their pregnancy journey with less than ideal hba1cs.

JJSAM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for sharing your story- it's really given me hope!

If anyone has any advice on the below it would be really appreciated...
My husband and I have decided in the last two years we would like to try for a baby, right time right place and all of that, but I have been trying my best to be taken seriously at the hospital considering my sugars are high and out of control. I've finally been given an obstetrics appointment but it isn't until October 2023... My A1C 2 weeks ago came back at 9.3 but in the last 2 weeks according to my Libre (I know not the most reliable but all I have!) is averaging at 8.2.. My question is, I think it's going to take us a while to fall pregnant and I don't want to wait until October to start trying to potentially be told all the red tape etc.. Has anyone chosen to start trying to get pregnant whilst getting their sugars under control and how did that go for you?
I'm so fed up of not being given the right help, and my husband and I are basically becoming doctors to try and get my sugars together... If another of my friends tells me they are having a baby I'll scream! Any advice appreciated. <3

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for sharing your story- it's really given me hope!

If anyone has any advice on the below it would be really appreciated...
My husband and I have decided in the last two years we would like to try for a baby, right time right place and all of that, but I have been trying my best to be taken seriously at the hospital considering my sugars are high and out of control. I've finally been given an obstetrics appointment but it isn't until October 2023... My A1C 2 weeks ago came back at 9.3 but in the last 2 weeks according to my Libre (I know not the most reliable but all I have!) is averaging at 8.2.. My question is, I think it's going to take us a while to fall pregnant and I don't want to wait until October to start trying to potentially be told all the red tape etc.. Has anyone chosen to start trying to get pregnant whilst getting their sugars under control and how did that go for you?
I'm so fed up of not being given the right help, and my husband and I are basically becoming doctors to try and get my sugars together... If another of my friends tells me they are having a baby I'll scream! Any advice appreciated. QUOTE]JSSAM, I can see you are type 1, so I may not have the best advice for you here. I can also see you have posted once in this forum. I found the more general diabetes pages (not just pregnancy) have helped me a lot to get my diabetes under control, so I suggest you engage more with this forum.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
JSSAM, I can see you are type 1, so I may not have the best advice for you here. I can also see you have posted once in this forum. I found the more general diabetes pages (not just pregnancy) have helped me a lot to get my diabetes under control, so I suggest you engage more with this forum

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM
D

Deleted member 574368

My 1st port of call would be a nurse practitioner and a midwife, between them they should be able to stabilise this for you

Lucky_Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This story really gives me hope! I’ve been T1 for 20 years and found out last week that I’m pregnant. I’m about 6 weeks now. It was completely unplanned and my A1C was 7.9 at the time of conceiving. I’ve been so anxious because I know that’s much higher than they recommend. I’m trying my best and I’ve got it down to 7.7 in just a week, so hoping to have it below 7 soon if I can keep this up.

Ive felt like I can’t even be happy about being pregnant because I’ve just been so worried that I’ve done damage. I have my first scan next week so I’m hoping that’s all fine and I can stop feeling so anxious! Thank you for sharing ☺️

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77