High sugar levels AGAIN feeling upset :(

iHs

I know most are saying to leave a 3rd day before adjusting basal another unit. I wouldn't at these levels it is clearthat the 2 unit increase was not enough.

I also think the same...........the basal looks like needing to increase probably by about 2u at a time and the high bg levels can be ironed out using more bolus.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Im having a slice of white bread with it (no brown in!) Which has 17.7g in it. I will take 2 units to 10g. So 4 units rounded up.

With a high bg level why are you eating a 18g slice of bread? Also , why havent you taken notice of the msgs and knowing how high yr bg is going, why haven't you increased the bolus and used 1u for 3g carb instead of 1u for 5g? Alot of adjusting insulin is all about trial and error.

A good way for a ball park dose of insulin for beginners is to allow 0.7u insulin per 1kg of bodyweight so jump on the scales and see how much you weigh. Whatever the calculation is divide by 2 and then allow a 50/50 way of weighing up the daily basal and daily bolus. Youve got a bg meter so as long as you can test try it out.

As my msg has come over a bit ordering instead of just advising........please take no notice of it

Last edited by a moderator:

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
With a high bg level why are you eating a 18g slice of bread? Also , why havent you taken notice of the msgs and knowing how high yr bg is going, why haven't you increased the bolus and used 1u for 3g carb instead of 1u for 5g? Alot of adjusting insulin is all about trial and error.

A good way for a ball park dose of insulin for beginners is to allow 0.7u insulin per 1kg of bodyweight so jump on the scales and see how much you weigh. Whatever the calculation is divide by 2 and then allow a 50/50 way of weighing up the daily basal and daily bolus. Youve got a bg meter so as long as you can test try it out.
Wow.

I had a slice of bread as it was all I had in as someone mentioned having 20g of carbs.

Im slightly offended by your post if im honest. Why am I not taking notice of the messages?! Im doing everything I can. I used to take 1:10g for breakfast yet today I had a breakfast with a total carb content of 17.7g and I took 5 units using the advised 2.5:10g. Not exactly ignoring advice there am I?

The doctor I spoke to yesterday agreed to wait until Monday before I upped my lantus again.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Wow.

I had a slice of bread as it was all I had in as someone mentioned having 20g of carbs.

Im slightly offended by your post if im honest. Why am I not taking notice of the messages?! Im doing everything I can. I used to take 1:10g for breakfast yet today I had a breakfast with a total carb content of 17.7g and I took 5 units using the advised 2.5:10g. Not exactly ignoring advice there am I?

The doctor I spoke to yesterday agreed to wait until Monday before I upped my lantus again.

Being advised is different from being told and you have asked many questions and taken on board what members have sugessted. The worry, for me, would be taking too much Insulin, as we are the one's who know our bodies the best.
Monday will be here soon enough and then, fingers crossed, a more stable and happier you.:)

RRB x.

Reactions: 6 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Being advised is different from being told and you have asked many questions and taken on board what members have sugessted. The worry, for me, would be taking too much Insulin, as we are the one's who know our bodies the best.
Monday will be here soon enough and then, fingers crossed, a more stable and happier you.:)

RRB x.
Yes I am certainly taking much more than I usually do. I am upset by that comment as I have really listened and took on board everything that has been advised to me..im certainly not asking for advice and ignoring it.

I check them again in twenty minutes so heres hoping :)

Thanks RRB x

iHs

Sorry...... I didnt mean to offend, its just that I have been type 1 for nearly 50 years so I know how bg goes. With very high bg levels, its important to not eat carb like bread which will only cause yr bg to go up even higher which you have found even with 1u for 5g. Once you get yr overnight bg to go lower so that you get up in the morning with a bg that's ok, then all youve got to do is work out through bg testing and admitedly making mistakes with insulin, calculate the corrrect ratio to use. At the moment, your TDD is not correct so its trial and error with adjusting insulin with the carb that you eat, writing everything down as you go along.

Have you looked at the BDEC website yet and registered as that will cexplain TDD, correction factors and adjusting the ratios to achieve bg levels that stay at desired levels.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have lovely ironing to do :rolleyes: but I will try and have a look x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Got to agree with iHs on both of the postings done. I too mentioned increasing dose of basal and would also be increasing like iHs has mentioned. I too am a 30+ yr T1.
I have an awful cold and am whacking through double my doses of basal and basically not eating untill my levels drop. If thats 2 days without eating and whacking thru extra then thats what I need to do to get my body back to good levels again...

I realise you are not such a long term T1 like us but if you could go through the bdec online course it will really help you.

The only thing I do differently to most people when basal testing is that I still continue to drink my coffees as coffee is in my life all the time so if I didn't include it in then my basals wouldn't be right for me...

Personally if it was me there is no way I would be leaving it until Monday

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Reading these latest posts.

You really do need professional steering and guidance .

Also please stress to them - you are really struggling
to understand things and could need regular after care until
the correct insulin dosages and regime are made clearer to
yourself .
More suited and targeted to your needs .

To be advised here in this situation isn't most suited for you
as we are not you .
Far better to be guided and steered on this by your own HCP's .
Try re-ringing 111 - seek their advice .
Request some one see you ASAP ? (this way you wont have to wait till tomorrow)
Especially if your BG levels are keep rising skywards .

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Levels are now 13. The doctor yesterday said to call back of 20 was seen again or I got keytones. I am happy to wait until tomorrow. I think my lantus will go up. I think I do understand a fair bit, ive had diabetes six years and this has only happened in the past two months. Its like the dr said. I clearly have become insulin resistant so will be Interesting to see what they can offer me to combat this as I feel I am doing everything in my power. Im taking 2.5 units to 10g, correcting at mealtimes on a 1:1 ratio, checking every hour simce yesterday morning, waking through the night to check my levels and I have been on very low carbs for me- purely because I am trying to avoid spikes. My insulin regime needs sorting, I don't think this is really about my control as ive always been really close to it and they have spiralled out of my control. I have been to the hospital four times in the past month asking for changes and advice hence my frustration.

I will book an appointment with my consultant and speak to a dsn to get this sorted asap. Thanks.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Levels are now 13. The doctor yesterday said to call back of 20 was seen again or I got keytones. I am happy to wait until tomorrow. I think my lantus will go up. I think I do understand a fair bit, ive had diabetes six years and this has only happened in the past two months. Its like the dr said. I clearly have become insulin resistant so will be Interesting to see what they can offer me to combat this as I feel I am doing everything in my power. Im taking 2.5 units to 10g, correcting at mealtimes on a 1:1 ratio, checking every hour simce yesterday morning, waking through the night to check my levels and I have been on very low carbs for me- purely because I am trying to avoid spikes. My insulin regime needs sorting, I don't think this is really about my control as ive always been really close to it and they have spiralled out of my control. I have been to the hospital four times in the past month asking for changes and advice hence my frustration.

I will book an appointment with my consultant and speak to a dsn to get this sorted asap. Thanks.

I understand your frustration and upset :(:mad:

So far, you are doing the best you can with the tools at your disposal, you have phoned 111, and in my opinion can do nothing else apart from keep plugging at it until you see the consultant/speak to your DSN/ get the **** prescription ! No blame for your situation attached to you at all ;)

It may be that you are not insulin resistant, but as @noblehead and others have said, it's your basal that's playing up, and it won't really resolve until that's sorted out. If it's any reassurance, you are not the only person this has happened to, even when doing fine on a certain insulin for quite a while. The human body is a complicated thing ;)

It will all resolve itself , in the meantime, keep at it. Just think what your levels were at the beginning of this post, and imagine what they would be like if you hadn't put all the hard slog in :eek:

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I understand your frustration and upset :(:mad:

So far, you are doing the best you can with the tools at your disposal, you have phoned 111, and in my opinion can do nothing else apart from keep plugging at it until you see the consultant/speak to your DSN/ get the **** prescription ! No blame for your situation attached to you at all ;)

It may be that you are not insulin resistant, but as @noblehead and others have said, it's your basal that's playing up, and it won't really resolve until that's sorted out. If it's any reassurance, you are not the only person this has happened to, even when doing fine on a certain insulin for quite a while. The human body is a complicated thing ;)

It will all resolve itself , in the meantime, keep at it. Just think what your levels were at the beginning of this post, and imagine what they would be like if you hadn't put all the hard slog in :eek:

Signy
Thank you I appreciate your positivity. It is much better, and I have sought professional advice ao I'm happy. 17 hours until I speak to my dsn :D

L x

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@lcarter there's an easy way to find out if your basal is wrong, that's to inject your bolus 30 mins before you eat then test again. If no movement then your basal is wrong.
Keep your chin up though, you are doing fine and it's a very steep learning curb for you.

Edited as just reread one of your posts saying you have been diagnosed 6 years and not 6 months

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

As mentioned, if your DSN confirms that you have some insulin resistance going on do ask about starting on Metformin if they don't mention it to you.

Good luck for tomorrow, diabetes can be so frustrating in times like this and you do feel like banging your head against a wall, persevere and I'm sure your good bg control will return again, just discuss your options with the consultant and ask about the possibility of changing to pump.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
As mentioned, if your DSN confirms that you have some insulin resistance going on do ask about starting on Metformin if they don't mention it to you.

Good luck for tomorrow, diabetes can be so frustrating in times like this and you do feel like banging your head against a wall, persevere and I'm sure your good bg control will return again, just discuss your options with the consultant and ask about the possibility of changing to pump.
Thank you. I have a list ready for them. :)

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas

As my msg has come over a bit ordering instead of just advising........please take no notice of it
Haha. Thank you for apologising. I kmow you meant well. :)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lcarter there's an easy way to find out if your basal is wrong, that's to inject your bolus 30 mins before you eat then test again. If no movement then your basal is wrong.
It could be that your honeymoon period has come to a very sudden end, hence why you need so much more insulin. Keep your chin up though, you are doing fine and it's a very steep learning curb for you.

Be careful about this. If basal is too high & BGs are falling anyway, you would see your drop but it would still be wrong. Perhaps do three tests, including an hour before, & half an hour before (which should be similar) . Preferably though a proper basal test as mentioned earlier.

jcalvert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Must be something in the air this Christmas - count me as another whose BM's have suddenly gone awry without any explanation. That said, I'm still early on in my diagnosis ( approx. 4 months ) so perhaps it's my honeymoon period coming to a close ( if there ever was one ). At the moment I only have to look at a carb for my BM to rise >10. Anyway, just wanted to add my support to you lcarter ... I can understand the demoralisation you're experiencing. You're winning the battle slowly but surely though :)

Reactions: 4 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Must be something in the air this Christmas - count me as another whose BM's have suddenly gone awry without any explanation. That said, I'm still early on in my diagnosis ( approx. 4 months ) so perhaps it's my honeymoon period coming to a close ( if there ever was one ). At the moment I only have to look at a carb for my BM to rise >10. Anyway, just wanted to add my support to you lcarter ... I can understand the demoralisation you're experiencing. You're winning the battle slowly but surely though :)
Poor you. It's a mindfield. All I can advise is writing it all down and changing one thing at a time. My levels post tea are 11.8 so im pleased. Thank you for your kind words :)

Reactions: 6 people

jcalvert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Poor you. It's a mindfield. All I can advise is writing it all down and changing one thing at a time. My levels post tea are 11.8 so im pleased. Thank you for your kind words :)
Those BM's continue to improve ... well done :) I'm dreading to think what my 2hr post prandial reading will be.