Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Goodluck Icarter with your appointment tomorrow .
Remember to take your list of questions along with you .
Ask all you need to for your diabetes needs/requirements .
Request an aftercare follow up appt too .

Please let us know how things go tomorrow too .

Reactions: 3 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Goodluck Icarter with your appointment tomorrow .
Remember to take your list of questions along with you .
Ask all you need to for your diabetes needs/requirements .
Request an aftercare follow up appt too .

Please let us know how things go tomorrow too .

yes please let us know

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's certainly been a Christmas of random highs. Fixing insulin and going to the gym seem to have got me back on track. Hopefully you'll be back there soon!

Reactions: 2 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Wow well done! Mine have gone up to 15! Lol :p
Im so nervous though. Havent had levels in this range for ages. Kuat hoping they stabilise here. They should do as it's been 2 hours since I took novarapid.

15? Have you had some quality streets?!

iHs

Im so nervous though. Havent had levels in this range for ages. Kuat hoping they stabilise here. They should do as it's been 2 hours since I took novarapid.

15? Have you had some quality streets?!
What has happened with yr bg control? Have you increased the bolus in the carb ratio or just eaten a low carb meal ?

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
What has happened with yr bg control? Have you increased the bolus in the carb ratio or just eaten a low carb meal ?
I had a 38g meal but I applied 2.5:10g and corrected 3 units aimimg for 10mml.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Im off now, will update you after speaking to dsn tomorrow. :)

iHs

Remember to bg test again before going to bed. If ur on 8.3mmol and its only 2hrs after doing the meal bolus, you might vind thst yr bg drops a bit more and goes to 4 or 5mmol.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How you feeling about that, chuffed I bet, but be aware, it could drop more because of the constant Insulin corrections.
I had a good day, BS wise,
BF, 6.6
L, 5.0
D, 6.0
So I'm a happy bunny too :happy:
All the best for tomorrow, I hope it goes well :)

We will be thinking of you, good luck :D

RRB x

Reactions: 9 people

jcalvert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow well done! Mine have gone up to 15! Lol :p

I raise your 15 .... with my 16 just prior to dinner, and that was after a 3.5 mile walk. Feeling despondent, I feared the worst for my post evening meal BM .... the glucometer declared 5.0 o_O

I don't understand this diabetes sometimes .....

ps. Congrats to lcarter for the single digits once again:happy:

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I raise your 15 .... with my 16 just prior to dinner, and that was after a 3.5 mile walk. Feeling despondent, I feared the worst for my post evening meal BM .... the glucometer declared 5.0 o_O

I don't understand this diabetes sometimes .....

ps. Congrats to lcarter for the single digits once again:happy:

I was the same over the past few days, until yesterday, no reason :arghh:except a couple of alcoholic drinks and a couple of quality streets. I don't eat mince pies or Christmas puddings either, bah humbug :mad:
I hope you have a better day today and in the single figures :)

RRB

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Update for you all..

My dsn and I have managed to get levemier for today..I am to take 14 units tonight and 14 units tomorrow morning and so on. Also advised me to take extra 4 units of lantus this am. Got to start having carbs again aswell. Also she told me to correct as normal and to change ratios when my levels start to change.

Phew! Feeling lots better. Seeing my consultant next Wednesday too. Thanks again for all of your help! Over and out.

Lcarter

Reactions: 11 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So pleased you got changed over so quickly and feel much better in yourself, did you ask about Trisiba?

I would definitely wait a day or two for your levemir to start to work then do some basal fasting checks to get the split-dose right, as said once you get the basal dose right you can then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio's.

jcalvert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good stuff, lets hope the Levemir does the job for you. I'm wondering if I'm perhaps needing to head in the same direction too ... Lantus seems to have lost its potency for me. Enjoy your carbs !

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow what an eventful Christmas! I should say my BGs were all over the map this Christmas, persistently high. So, having said that, let me release my inner Grump:

- whoever said you needed to drop your basal (from 30 to 20?) because of one six hour drop from 19 to 13 is a idiot. Was that your DSN? Basal testing is meaningless unless it's in the normal range. At 19 you are renal dumping and the drop could be entirely explained by your kidneys, nothing to do with your basal. So in turn, this ill advised dropping of the basal could explain the whole problem. Could have caused it.
- A lot of other plausible explanations were suggested and investigated but in your shoes I would also have suspected an asymptomatic infection. That will drive BG up persistently and resistantly. And if your basal is inadequate that will make the infection worse, and harder to get rid of.
- I think it is jumping to conclusions to switch to Levemir or even to twice daily Lantus (even though I like that regime). First thing you should do is get back to the original Lantus dose, which *was working*, and see if it resumes working. Don't fix something until you first prove it's broken. Otherwise you are just adding a load of new variability to an already confusing situation.

I am really moved by the support everyone showed you, and also your really nice attitude in taking the advice graciously. Merry Christmas, one and all! xxx

Reactions: 13 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal testing is meaningless unless it's in the normal range. At 19 you are renal dumping and the drop could be entirely explained by your kidneys, nothing to do with your basal.

Sorry I was not being very clear here saying "normal range". What I mean is that basal testing, or any kind of insulin dose testing, is only useful if you stay between your renal threshold (about 10 mmol/L) and your hypo trigger or adrenalin hypo symptom threshold. Otherwise the data is confused with the operations of your liver and your kidneys, to raise and lower BG (respectively).