Higher than expected glucose levels

Paul41

I’ve been monitoring my BG levels since I’ve learnt the value of doing so in this site.
In fact I’ve been using a CGM on/off since early September. It’s been fantastic and has enabled me to avoid spikes ( unless I make a mistake) and to that end I’m happy.
At the same time I’ve been losing weight, I’m about 2 stones lighter than I was in July but I’ve perhaps got the same amount to go.

FYI I’m following a low carb program and pre diabetic .

All good stuff I think

But lately my “base level” BG is higher than it was. No peaks just higher, it’s sitting just above 6 where once it would go to low 5’s especially overnight.

I’ve tried to find out why this is the case and it’s unclear.

Does anyone have any ideas or have experience?
View attachment 64311

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My immediate thought is that if it's not the food you're eating, it's your liver.

I'd guess it's not your food if you're still losing weight and you're not seeing unacceptable figures at +2hrs.

However your liver will happily add glucose to your blood any time something happens to raise your stress/adrenaline levels, or when you're ill, for example. My BG indicates when I'm going to have a cold long before I'm aware of anything. I found a list somewhere on the internet that gave over 40 things that were reported to have raised people's BG. One of them that does it for me is higher ambient temperatures, don't know why.

The other thing is that all BG measuring devices or proxy measures have a degree of allowable inaccuracy. If you've recently changed a CGM sensor that could be enough. Do you confirm sensor readings with fingerpricks?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Paul41 I suspect that it shows that you are now able to release your stored up glucose due to lower levels of insulin.
After reducing spikes (well done) your cells are now open to releasing and downsizing - insulin locks up the exits - but that shows up in blood tests.
As 6 is not exactly high rather than something being wrong it could indicating a return of normality.

Paul41

Thanks KennyA,

That’s interesting, I think I might be in for a cold , I’ve got the sniffles .

Yes even though my BG is raised , when consuming food ( it’s all good / trusted food) I’m getting expected rises and lowering of BG.

I think I’ll do some finger prick testing , I hadn’t as the sensor has been so reliable.

Thanks again

Reactions: aylalake

Paul41

@Paul41 I suspect that it shows that you are now able to release your stored up glucose due to lower levels of insulin.
After reducing spikes (well done) your cells are now open to releasing and downsizing - insulin locks up the exits - but that shows up in blood tests.
As 6 is not exactly high rather than something being wrong it could indicating a return of normality.

Thank you

Yes my diet is under control, no shocks and that’s how I want it.

I was actually hoping for someone to say it was a possibly good sign. I had been reading about this today and it kind of makes sense ( even though for me it’s a hope )

Presumably sooner or later if you are correct a new equilibrium with lower BG will exist?

Thanks again

Paul

volvo dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been monitoring my BG levels since I’ve learnt the value of doing so in this site.
In fact I’ve been using a CGM on/off since early September. It’s been fantastic and has enabled me to avoid spikes ( unless I make a mistake) and to that end I’m happy.
At the same time I’ve been losing weight, I’m about 2 stones lighter than I was in July but I’ve perhaps got the same amount to go.

FYI I’m following a low carb program and pre diabetic .

All good stuff I think

But lately my “base level” BG is higher than it was. No peaks just higher, it’s sitting just above 6 where once it would go to low 5’s especially overnight.

I’ve tried to find out why this is the case and it’s unclear.

Does anyone have any ideas or have experience?
View attachment 64311
well done for losing 2 stones.. great work.. sugar levels spike after food.. is it possibly when and what times you test in relation to when you eat.. and maybe alcohol could be a problem.. it was for me.. I think it gave me diabetes because I was very good at it.. Ive not had a drink since 2016.. keep up the weight loss.. exercise is a good way of using up sugar in our bodies.. well done.!!

Reactions: Paul41

Paul41

Thanks for the reply.
I was a beer drinker but now I stick to white wine, on average a glass every other day. I think I’ll just stop drinking, I did stop for 6 months a while ago.

I’ve been using a CGM so I’m constantly testing and basically the BG is just slightly higher than I expecting.

I’m just looking for an explanation, it doesn’t bother me and I’m sure everything is going the right way.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Thanks for the reply.
I was a beer drinker but now I stick to white wine, on average a glass every other day. I think I’ll just stop drinking, I did stop for 6 months a while ago.

I’ve been using a CGM so I’m constantly testing and basically the BG is just slightly higher than I expecting.

I’m just looking for an explanation, it doesn’t bother me and I’m sure everything is going the right way.
Hi Paul.
CGM readings are generally lower than finger prick readings due to the difference between interstitial fluid and capillary blood. They are also 5-15 minutes behind Fingerprick readings, constantly playing catch up like a train carriage behind the engine in the blood stream.

I tend to do both tests for important (to me) times such as Dawn Phenomenon and pre/post prandial checks.

Alcohol tends to suppress BG so it can give you lower readings, according to many, many posts on this site.

Stress, anxiety, illness and numerous other things can all affect your readings. It’s a mind-boggling disease we are dealing with, but you seem to have yours under control, well done.

Reactions: Paul41

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 3 and a half years in and find my body still unfathomable.
But I have learned my base levels
8 is what's wrong look for illness or stress or lack of sleep etc
7 is hmm
6 is OK,
5 is welcome,
4 is rare

I've had them all, and no real idea why it fluctuates 5 6 7 mostly. I've just learned to accept it whatever and keep low carb.

Hope this helps

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
7 is hmm
6 is OK,
5 is welcome,
4 is rare

I've had them all, and no real idea why it fluctuates 5 6 7 mostly. I've just learned to accept it whatever and keep low carb.

Hope this helps

What an excellent post! That has helped me too, thank you.

Reactions: Paul41 and MrsA2

Paul41

I'm 3 and a half years in and find my body still unfathomable.
7 is hmm
6 is OK,
5 is welcome,
4 is rare

Hope this helps

Thanks yes it helps
I’m getting 5’s but often 6’s and I just wished I knew why .

Paul41

Hi Paul.
CGM readings are generally lower than finger prick readings due to the difference between interstitial fluid and capillary blood. They are also 5-15 minutes behind Fingerprick readings, constantly playing catch up like a train carriage behind the engine in the blood stream.

I tend to do both tests for important (to me) times such as Dawn Phenomenon and pre/post prandial checks.

Alcohol tends to suppress BG so it can give you lower readings, according to many, many posts on this site.

Stress, anxiety, illness and numerous other things can all affect your readings. It’s a mind-boggling disease we are dealing with, but you seem to have yours under control, well done.

Thanks.
Yes under control as you say by eating as I must. That said I’m happy with my diet and enjoying it. The only thing that gets to me with regards to food is I’m eating differently to my wife which I hate . Oh well.
But I’m actually enjoying this journey I’m on. It’s fascinating learning that all I ever thought about food and weight control was wrong. No counting calories, eating fats etc but it works for my BG and weight loss which of course feeds back on itself. Brilliant.

I’m still going to try and find out the whys of everything, that’s how it is!

• Love
Reactions: aylalake