Home made curries and spicy food

Aadrgon

Eurydice333 said:
sounds like a plan! where should i add a recipe, this forum or the recipe section???

Hi Eurydice
What a brilliant idea :)
Might I suggest you post a bit of extra info with your recipe about changing ingedient quantities for increasing or decreasing the 'heat'
Recipe section might be better so we know where to look for it

Looking forward to it already :)

Trinkwasser

I had a Thai chicken curry with wild rice and salad last night, washed down with a half of bitter and a walk round the village, and got away with it (hint: I didn't eat all the rice), strangely I forgot my meter <G> but avoided becoming symptomatic.

So long as I don't make a habit of it, and provided I keep my carbs down the rest of the day, I can push the occasional 50g or so in the evening.

Do that at breakfast though and my feet would probably drop off. The pragmatic answer of course is to test. Generally though there's nothing bad in the curry so long as you substitute the rice etc. with something more user-friendly

Thirsty

I normally use red lentils as an alternative to rice. They're delicious cooked with lemon/lime, minced garlic, finely chopped spring onions and spices to taste, (a little garam masala works well.) The texture's similar as long as you don't overcook them and they don't seem to cause any spikes in BG levels.

Trinkwasser

Thirsty said:
I normally use red lentils as an alternative to rice. They're delicious cooked with lemon/lime, minced garlic, finely chopped spring onions and spices to taste, (a little garam masala works well.) The texture's similar as long as you don't overcook them and they don't seem to cause any spikes in BG levels.

Now there's something I hadn't tried in a long time because they give mother winds, and at her age what Billy Connoly says is true "never trust a fart!"

Maybe I'll dig them out of the cupboard after she's gone to bed next time I fancy a late night prawn or chicken curry. But if the duvet blows onto the floor I'll blame you! <G>

Thirsty

Heh! I've found that thoroughly soaking lentils and other pulses and discarding the water before cooking helps to relieve the "wind assistance" factor. From memory, doing so removes a lot of the polysaccharides (sp?) which the human gut is unable to digest. My vegetarian sister-in-law swears that adding asafoetida is an invaluable aid in preventing the bedclothes hitting the ceiling during the night.

How true this is, I don't know but, I'm not inclined to ask my brother for anecdotal evidence!

C

catherinecherub

You are so right Thirsty, I do it with pulses, lentils and rice. Soak, discard the water, rinse thoroughly and the wind factor is not evident.

Trinkwasser

Good point, I soak kidney beans overnight then boil them in new water, we seem to get away with thatwithout too many sound effects