Home made curries and spicy food

wiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a lover of curries and spicy food I am wondering about the effects on my diet, as i normally use lean meat peepers garlic and so on and cook in ghee has anyone noticed any effects on BS levels?

im trying to get my diet under control and got my own testing meter as cant get one prescribed unless go type 2 med controlled.

Any thoughts welcomed

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi wiz.
As a Curryholic myself I find that I can still make all the curries I used too - I just now only eat miniscule portions. No Naan, chapati or stuff. No, or very little Rice.
My Bg doesn't seem to climb at all. You will only know by testing yourself before meal, 1 and 2 hrs afterwards and see the results for you. It's just trial and error.

What I find is really healthy and has minimal effect on Bg is Tandoori stuff with salad - make nearly all my own, unless out for night. Tastes great.
Try it and see.

Cheers mate.
Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
sugarless sue said:
Ever tried cauliflower rice with it Ken?

No. Maybe I should get the recipe ?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Grate or food process the uncooked cauli till it looks like rice.Either stir fry it or put in dish in microwave with butter.I cook mine 3 minutes covered then three minutes uncovered and it is excellent.That's a 650 microwave BTW.I add chives to mine but then i love chives!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Thanks Sue. Ill try that one. You are so helpful you know, a real Angel. :D

wiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
cugila said:
Hi wiz.
As a Curryholic myself I find that I can still make all the curries I used too - I just now only eat miniscule portions. No Naan, chapati or stuff. No, or very little Rice.
My Bg doesn't seem to climb at all. You will only know by testing yourself before meal, 1 and 2 hrs afterwards and see the results for you. It's just trial and error.

What I find is really healthy and has minimal effect on Bg is Tandoori stuff with salad - make nearly all my own, unless out for night. Tastes great.
Try it and see.

Cheers mate.
Ken

Thanks ken, I normally buy spice packs out of ease and just add chicken onions ect I'm thinking of brown rice as a change, will check out the tandoori curries and after i get some strips for my meter will commence better testing and as you mention 1 hr before and 2 after to see effects :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Thanks ken, I normally buy spice packs out of ease and just add chicken onions ect I'm thinking of brown rice as a change, will check out the tandoori curries and after i get some strips for my meter will commence better testing and as you mention 1 hr before and 2 after to see effects :)[/quote]

Not quite right, test just before a meal, then 1 hr and 2 hrs after. Be wary of Rice, it's the Carbs in it ! I can only tolerate very small amounts. Tandoori needs to be dry, no sauces. Usually full of sugar and carbs. It take's time - just stick with it.

Ken.

wiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
cugila said:
Not quite right, test just before a meal, then 1 hr and 2 hrs after. Be wary of Rice, it's the Carbs in it ! I can only tolerate very small amounts. Tandoori needs to be dry, no sauces. Usually full of sugar and carbs. It take's time - just stick with it.

Ken.

Thanks Ken, why i like the kits instead of the jars of sauces is that I know what is going into the curries, but will as you mentioned test just before and 1 to 2 after to get used to testing as the way I see it rather spend the money on testing now instead of waiting till I find out what I'm eating has been no good and progress with the diabetes. I'm a firm believer in prevention. :D

Trinkwasser

Watch the ingredients in some of those made up sauces, they can slip in plenty of sugar and starch.

I eat curries with prawns or chicken and make them from the original spices, also add coconut for a mix of hot and cool together, and sometimes peanut butter. I can get away with small quantities of rice so long as I avoid other carbs and especially wheat at the same meal, but you could try quinoa as well as the cauli rice, bean sprouts and other low carb alternatives.

Wash down with some red wine, oh and

WARNING! hot chillies may cause a demand for 85% chocolate

Thirsty

Like Trink, I make my own spice mixtures from scratch. It's quick and easy to do using a coffee grinder and freshly ground stuff smells and tastes wonderful (and it saves money.) I can get away with a home-made chappati as an accompaniment but your mileage may vary. If only I could say the same for mango chutney and poppadums!

Eurydice333

Dislikes
my complete lack of motivation about anything.
being asian (middle eastern) i was brought up on curry and other yummy foods like sweet dishes packed with syrup and cream.

the best thing you can do is make it from scratch and it will taste far better than those sauces with lots of sugar and salt in.

you can make a curry out of most foods (i've just never had it with pork and don't make a cucumber curry as my bf suggested lol)

anyway, you only need maybe a tablespoon or 2 of oil just to cook the onions in, and only put in half a teaspoon of salt or none at all. if you want any tips or recipe ideas just message me :)

ps. Trinkwasser!!!peanut butter in curry!!! gross

Thirsty

Eurydice, you may well find your inbox swamped! I used to have a girfriend from Gujarat who taught me how to make the most delicious authentic dishes. For those who prefer the British versions of Indian food, I highly recommend Pat Chapman's Indian Restaurant Cookbook. Try to find a used copy, as the book is expensive to buy new. I've never been disappointed by any of his recipes and he tends to only use ingredients which are readily available here.

Eurydice333

Dislikes
you can usually always find the spices and foods you need cheaply and in bulk in the 'asian part of town', but beware of the pre-made foods,frozen burgers, bombay mix, sweetdishes etc because they are packed full of rubbish :!:

my boyfriend loves curries too and always asks me to make them but half the time i cant be bothered because it takes ages and i quite fancy having fish and chips sometimes :)

Trinkwasser

Eurydice333 said:
ps. Trinkwasser!!!peanut butter in curry!!! gross

Obviously not Thai then!

Suggestion: as a lover of foods from all around the world how's about adding some authentic recipes from your area?

Eurydice333

Dislikes
sounds like a plan! where should i add a recipe, this forum or the recipe section???

taffy

Just been prescribed Metformin 3 times a day for my Type 2

I love curries too and have take away once a week normally a Pathia or Jalfrezi with a rice and Peshwari nann. Sometimes I may cook my own Thai Red curry with boiled rice.

Being quit new to diabetes I need to know will this need to stop??

Thanks in advance

nic02

Type of diabetes
Type 2
eurydice could i have some recepies please. adore veg curries.i'm type 2 and have found what i have made rockets my sugar.