Home testing and testers

Gina698

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I’ve just had my latest hba1c test and the score has increased despite taking metformin. The nurse increased my dose and put me on statins as my triglycerides were high. I want to test myself at home so I can see what food has most effect, and to generally keep an eye. I have the kit which I bought through diabetes UK. However, I have cerebral palsy and one hand inc fingers are deformed. The other hand is ok but jumpy and twitchy and fine movements are difficult, so getting the minimal blood needed on the right spot of the strip is difficult. So is getting the blood drop from m finger tips of my deformed hand as everything is shaky in anticipation of the stab from the lance. Last night I tried 6-8 times to get the drop of blood in the right place and ended up with bruised finger tips, that are still sore today, and still didn’t get a reading. Are there any easier testing kits? Do any of you use alternate sites? Are they as easy? My nurse is not keen for anyone to test themselves with home kits so I cannot ask her. Thanks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Gina
Here’s what DCUK say about alternate site testing, I hope this helps:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/alternate-site-testing.html
Another couple of points I’d like to comment on about your post are these, did you fast for your cholesterol test as the triglyceride level maybe elevated if you ate before the test. Also some people find that some statins put blood sugars up which obviously wouldn’t be helpful for you. Do your home work and please make an informed decision.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m curious what you are advised to be eating now if your (Ill informed) nurse says not test even at your own expense.

most of us t2 in here reduce carbs (not portions or calories or fats) to gain good control. JoKalsbeek has great info about this.

edit. I’ve now added the link to jo’s info in my signature

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’ve just had my latest hba1c test and the score has increased despite taking metformin. The nurse increased my dose and put me on statins as my triglycerides were high. I want to test myself at home so I can see what food has most effect, and to generally keep an eye. I have the kit which I bought through diabetes UK. However, I have cerebral palsy and one hand inc fingers are deformed. The other hand is ok but jumpy and twitchy and fine movements are difficult, so getting the minimal blood needed on the right spot of the strip is difficult. So is getting the blood drop from m finger tips of my deformed hand as everything is shaky in anticipation of the stab from the lance. Last night I tried 6-8 times to get the drop of blood in the right place and ended up with bruised finger tips, that are still sore today, and still didn’t get a reading. Are there any easier testing kits? Do any of you use alternate sites? Are they as easy? My nurse is not keen for anyone to test themselves with home kits so I cannot ask her. Thanks.
Statins up your blood glucose... Do you have the cholesterol break-down? All of the numbers, (LDL, HDL, Trigs, total...) It's not the evil being it's made out to be more often than not, and like others said, the tests aren't always exactly reliable.

A continuous glucose monitor could be an option, but they don't come cheap. And since your nurse isn't a fan of you testing yourself, (hello, dark ages!) I doubt she'll put a word in for funding. If the only medication you take for your T2 however is metformin... You can try cutting down on the carbs without testing. I'd prefer it if you could, but hey ho, sometimes you just have to work with what's available. If you're not on other meds you won't hypo if you go low carb, after all, so... If you can.... Carbs, practically all of them, turn to glucose once ingested. So that's not just sugars, but starches too. If you are in position where you can cut those out, your blood sugars should come down too. HSSS already shared The Nutritional Thingy, so I'll not hit you over the head with it again, but I hope it'll help.

Gina698

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. In answer to your questions, I has my test done at about 10.00 in the morning and I hadn’t eaten since the previous night. Diet wise, I try to do low carb, but have found if I go too low I just slump after exercise and really crave sugar. I have binge eating disorder so i need to not crave as much as possible. I haven’t binged in 9 weeks though and I had hoped this would be reflected in the results but alas no. I looked at the scanner someone mentioned but I can’t afford it. I’m getting nutritional advise from the gym I go to which is essentially lower carb (10 bites of wet carbs ie quinoa, pulses, wholemeal rice, not bread, pasta, white rice etc a day)and low fat. All the nurse said was avoid sugar and eat sensibly. Try and lose a bit of weight, etc. I specifically asked about monitoring because I read that statins increase blood glucose levels, but she said people panic when they get a high reading and don’t know what to do to lower it. I have avoided statins for a couple of years, but as the levels continued to increase, I felt I had to have medical intervention now. I’m aware it’s probably because of my binge eating, so I’m hoping now it is under better control, things will even out and i can come off the meds in a few months, I just don’t want to go back in 6 months and find that something I thought was ok isn’t, or go too restrictive and start binge eating again. So many things to balance!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Gina698 you are getting some terrible advice. Your gym is not qualified to advise diabetics.

You should not be eating any carbs if you can avoid them.

A meter is vital to tell you how your food is impacting you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As xfieldok says.

And I’d add to eat fats and proteins to avoid hunger and cravings.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what your cholesterol breakdown is? A total figure is meaningless and taking statins based on that will almost certainly do more harm than good imo

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Diet wise, I try to do low carb, but have found if I go too low I just slump after exercise and really crave sugar. I have binge eating disorder so i need to not crave as much as possible. I haven’t binged in 9 weeks though and I had hoped this would be reflected in the results but alas no. I looked at the scanner someone mentioned but I can’t afford it. I’m getting nutritional advise from the gym I go to which is essentially lower carb (10 bites of wet carbs ie quinoa, pulses, wholemeal rice, not bread, pasta, white rice etc a day)and low fat. All the nurse said was avoid sugar and eat sensibly. Try and lose a bit of weight, etc. I specifically asked about monitoring because I read that statins increase blood glucose levels, but she said people panic when they get a high reading and don’t know what to do to lower it.

Hi Gina698, It gets very boring in here because, since the majority of us test our BG we know what works, what doesn't and keep agreeing with each other.
If you try to go both Low Carb and Low Fat at the same time then it's almost guaranteed that your energy will slump.
Traditional oils and fats (Olive Oil, Fish Oil, Animal Fats, Double Cream, Full Fat Greek style yogurt, (hard) Cheeses, Eggs, Nuts are only a problem if they are combined with lots of Carbs. So cut the carbs - all of them as much as possible.
Fat doesn't make you fat unless eaten with Carbs. Carbs make you fat even if you eat nothing else.
I still over-eat, but I over-eat on cheese, nuts, olives - things that don't cause my BG to spike. I know they don't because I have tested countless times - as have others.

Who takes nutritional advice from a Gym rather than from those with the same goal as you have and are succeeding?

Statins including Simvastatin and Atorvastatin (which I was on) CAN increase BG and even make non-diabetics into diabetics.
They often also cause muscle ache and CAN even muscle damage (this includes eyes and heart).
Some studies implicate Simvastatin and Atorvastatin with Dementia and Parkinsons. And in less severe cases, they can sometimes cause 'brain fog' making it seem like people have dementia?
Did you know that in those with no prior Heart problem, countless studies have failed to show any benefit for Women from taking Statins.
Did you know that even for Men, once over 65yrs old, the higher the Cholesterol the longer we live.
Did you know that LDL Cholesterol is essential for life? - No cholesterol no brain, no hormones, no animal life!

I can't tell you not to take Statins since I'm not a Doctor, but I can tell you not to fear fat - most of us T2's in remission in here embrace dietary fat. We love Cheese, Bacon &Eggs, Double Cream, a nice Steak etc. Because not only do they taste great, they keep us slim and heathy!

Gina698

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I know is that my triglycerides were 3.0 and the nurse was worried. 6 months ago my total cholesterol was 6.5, and had risen from 5.8 before that. My hba1c was 60 up from 56. I’m aware of Michael Moseley low carb diet, and tried to follow that for a couple of months when I was first diagnosed pre diabetic, but my energy just kept slumping and I craved carbs especially sugar. I fight cravings daily due to BED and they are worse if I restrict an don’t allow myself any of a food group. When my energy slumps as quickly as it does, I am at risk of falling from my cerebral palsy. I know the gym aren’t qualified in diabetic nutrition, but the advice I got I think was better than what I got from the nurse? And they are willing and supporting me to try different ways. This is why I wanted to monitor my sugar levels so I could learn what works for me and become my own nutritionist. Waiting 3-6 months for feedback is too long.

thanks for your help.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the end of the day, T2s can't process carbs. End of. It took me 4 weeks to break carb addiction, then my appetite disappeared.

If you get a meter, you will be surprised how the different foods affect you.

I found Michael Mosley's diet too high carb for me.

I haven't had a cardiac event and it would take a cardiologist to prescribe them before I would consider them.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason the triglycerides and total has risen is the deterioration of your diabetes, exacerbated by eating carbs. The carbs cause the damage and the hb1ac rises and the cholesterol rises to try and protect the damaged areas.

Reduce the carbs, reduce the diabetes, reduce the cholesterol is the way it goes for almost all of us.

are you planning to test regardless of what the nurse says. @Rachox has info about cheaper meters to fund yourself. Once you have it we can explain how to use it to best effect. It doesn’t have to be forever if you don’t want to, just til you’ve learnt what works for you then periodically thereafter to keep an eye on it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @HSSS

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one too, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. In answer to your questions, I has my test done at about 10.00 in the morning and I hadn’t eaten since the previous night. Diet wise, I try to do low carb, but have found if I go too low I just slump after exercise and really crave sugar. I have binge eating disorder so i need to not crave as much as possible. I haven’t binged in 9 weeks though and I had hoped this would be reflected in the results but alas no. I looked at the scanner someone mentioned but I can’t afford it. I’m getting nutritional advise from the gym I go to which is essentially lower carb (10 bites of wet carbs ie quinoa, pulses, wholemeal rice, not bread, pasta, white rice etc a day)and low fat. All the nurse said was avoid sugar and eat sensibly. Try and lose a bit of weight, etc. I specifically asked about monitoring because I read that statins increase blood glucose levels, but she said people panic when they get a high reading and don’t know what to do to lower it. I have avoided statins for a couple of years, but as the levels continued to increase, I felt I had to have medical intervention now. I’m aware it’s probably because of my binge eating, so I’m hoping now it is under better control, things will even out and i can come off the meds in a few months, I just don’t want to go back in 6 months and find that something I thought was ok isn’t, or go too restrictive and start binge eating again. So many things to balance!
There's a bunch of things here to touch on, none of which are what you want to hear most likely.... Carbs are addictive. The cravings will go away after a while if you don't give in to them, but with a BED it might probe a little complicated. If you can snack/binge on something low carb instead though... Like, pork scratchings, cheese etc, it would fill you up and not affect your blood sugars. Just make sure low to no carb foods is all you have on hand, it makes it a little easier. Low fat is not a good idea. There's 3 macro nutrients, and while you can safely cut one (carbs), you can't cut two. You'd get malnourished, so... Up those fats! (Should also help with the cravings.). Your cholesterol is likely up because of your high blood sugars. i know mine was. By going low carb, high fat, I could ditch the statins though. Haven't had them in well over 3 years. Get your blood sugars under control and the rest of your body'll follow suit, far as Metabolic Syndrome is concerned (Diabetes usually comes with any or all of the following: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. They're mates, and getting blood sugars down will help in all those area's.). As for people panicking when their blood sugars are high and not knowing what to do about it... It's her job to tell people what to do about it. (Cut carbs in general, and when you have a spike, go for a walk or do some light exercise). The NHS can't afford to give T2's a meter, there's too many of us, so that's just an excuse. There are many more excuses, but they all come down to the same thing: "We won't pay for your strips." Anyway... Yes, it is a lot to balance, but you'll have to find your own path in this.... Though your gym seems a little more clued in than the medical professionals, the diet you're on will keep dragging you back to carbs right now. And they're a habit you really can't afford to keep. Mind you, it's your choice how to proceed, but right now I'm thinking you don't want to progress to insulin. If you can't do a finger prick with ease, it would get really complicated.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sorry I forgot your more limited dexterity to test. Is there anyone at home who can help you? What sort of fingerpricker are you using? Something like the multiclix is a bit easier in my opinion than lancets. Can you put the meter on a surface and then bring your good hand to it? After a similarly limited post a while ago quite a few of us tried one handed testing. It is possible with practice.

Gina698

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think the issue is that I can’t check my glucose levels. I looked up the multitclix and that isn’t available. The fastclix isn’t suitable. The main problem is getting the blood from my finger on to the test strip. I live alone so don’t have anyone to help on a regular basis. My ‘good’ hand is still jerky and uncoordinated, especially in response to anticipated and inevitable pain, however minimal, so I don’t see how I can test on that hand using lancets and strips. I looked at the scanners but they expensive. I think I will have to save up!

My reluctance about low carb for me is that, for me, it is not sustainable. (I am often invited to friends for dinner, and while I can (and usually do) refuse dessert, it would be difficult to dictate no carbs, as the meals are often things like chilli and rice, shepherds pie, pasta bake etc.) Also my Dad has had type 2 for over 20 years, eats what I would say as high to moderate carbs, ie bread, rice, pasta, most if not everyday, fruit and dairy, but no actual sugar), and his blood sugars are stable. Yes in the diabetic range, but stable. My mum was also pre-diabetic for over 10 years, kept eating moderate carbs, and it didn’t escalate. I have the onset of it younger than both of them, I believe due to my binge eating behaviour. I do understand the thinking behind carbs and diabetes and in many ways it makes sense to me, but I also think how many carbs you can tolerate is a very individual thing, so without a tester, I will continue to have a small portion of complex carbs, and not every day.

Thanks again for your time to comment and make suggestions. I do appreciate your kindness in sharing ideas and what does work.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I did mean the fastclix, it replaced the multiclix. Not suitable compared to lancets how?

can you get your blood drop sat on your finger, wait a minute or so for it to calm down and then take it to the meter which is sat on a surface?

As to low carb difficulties these are choices we all have to make if we decide it’s worth it. Friends, explain you need to not eat the carbs for your health. What sort of friend would want to harm you? If you were allergic to nuts would they expect you to eat them? If you were vegetarian would they make you eat meat (not even a health requirement just a choice) Just have the bolagnaise on its own without the spaghetti, chilli without rice. Simple.

Your parents may or may not have complications as a result of their diabetes that they may or may not be aware of. Starting younger do you want to take the chance? Your decision.

Without testing the only way you will know is at your routine testing with the gp. Possibly as little as yearly. Even if you can only do so at certain meals when you have some assistance it will still teach you about those meals.

Why have any of those carbs when you don’t need to? Stick to vegetables/dairy for the carbs you do have in the main.