1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Honeymoon period and insulin requirements

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mo1905, Oct 1, 2013.

1. debbiiee

debbiiee · Well-Known Member

2. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

It will certainly help. Just ensure you still test regularly.

3. debbiiee

4. debbiiee

I got one more doubt. I read that metformin will take some time to make the difference. If so shall i continue insulin in vry low amounts along with metformin?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

5. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

I would do what doc said for now. If your levels start getting high, get back to your doc who may add a little insulin.

6. debbiiee

7. tomvonc

tomvonc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm only a few months in and my insulin requirements drift between about 8 and 15g per unit. I probably have 3 hypo's a week if I keep my BM in single figures. WIsh my Beta Cells would really f&*k off and die so I can control this beast :-(

• Like Like x 2
  8. debbiiee

Hi
    Its good to have a prolonged honeymoon period bcoz minimal insulin secretion is said to have a protective effect over complications. So be happy with ur beta cells:D

• Like Like x 2
  9. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Absolutely Debbiiee!

Although LADA and the honeymoon phase of Type 1 can be unpredictable, it has been shown that producing some of your own insulin make diabetes easier to manage long term with less likelihood of the very serious hypos some of the long standing Type 1s on here describe. While our bodies are still producing some insulin, they can also protect us from dropping too low - I'm not sure if that is always the case with someone who isn't producing any insulin. Protect those beta cells!

Smidge

10. debbiiee

Thank you Smidge for the info..
    I am only on 500mg metformin per day now. My 2 hrs postprandial values are high a little bit, but BG comes down to normal values in 4 to 5 hours. I am concerned about this high, but if i take insulin, I ll go low. Waiting for an appointment with my Doc:(

11. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Whilst you have working beta cells, you're still making c-peptide which is thought to give some protection agains complications.
    See this thread for info:
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ming-to-a-chemist-near-you.55648/#post-514932

12. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi Debbiiee!

Yes that is a problem for early stage LADA. when I first went onto insulin, I was on 4 units of intermediate a day - the impact was miraculous. My pancreas decided to work better again and I ended up taking a single unit every two or three days. Even that amount made such a big difference. If I didn't take it my BG rose gradually over the days. I've been on insulin 4 and a half years now and still take relatively small doses although far more than the early days. Usually a total daily dose of around 20 units (basal and bolus added together) depending on what I eat. I'm really glad I went onto insulin when I did.

Smidge

• Like Like x 2
  13. David Gray

David Gray Type 1 · Member

I`m only a about month into it and have had a couple of low readings of 3.5 or so, i felt a little shaky, and would describe it as feeling a bit nervous. Would this be classed as a hypo? I would certainly say i was aware but didn`t feel threatened by it, and just went and sat down with a cup of tea with sugar, just like the good old day pre-diabetes lol

14. debbiiee

Hi Smidge,
    Can u provide me a link regarding- producing our own insulin prevents serious hypos- please?
    Warmest regards
    Debbiiee

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook