How did you lose weight with type 1?

escturtle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there-
I''m really struggling with this right now. (I also posted on the Ask a Question section, before I saw that there is a forum dedicated to Type 1). I am 46 years old, have had type 1 for about 35 years, and I've been in good control for the past 15+ - no complications and doing well with my numbers. BUT - my weight crept up slowly over these years and now I'd like to get rid of about 12-14 kilo. It is totally depressing me.

So I signed up for Weight Watchers online and followed it for 3 weeks already, staying entirely within my points. I also exercise about 4x a week (I've been doing that for years). Interestingly, my sugars are doing great with my new meal plan, and I've reduced boluses and basals. But I haven't lost any weight.

Does anyone have any advice, or understand why I'm not losing? When I saw the scale still sitting at the same number yesterday, I got totally burnt out. I don't know much longer I can keep up my motivation if I don't see any results.

All comments/ wisdom/ experience/ advice/ support... is appreciated greatly!
Thanks,
Debbie

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think many of us would simply say stay off the carbs and don't worry about fats and proteins?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Debbie, congratulations on your great sugars and lack of complications!
I've not done weight watchers; do they tell you weight loss will begin straight away? Could it be that there's a time lag between reducing food intake and losing weight? It may be that you're using up reserves first. You'll need to have info from someone who's more expert about that.
I've only had two really successful goes at losing weight. One of them was using Michael Mosely and his colleague's (sorry, her name escapes me right now) 5:2 regime, which was very successful, though I did get tired. The other, quite a few years ago, was when I reduced calories and forewent fats for a year. The latter was some time ago after a stretch in Australia when I gave up work for a year to accompany him indoors when he did a job exchange and I became a magnet for extra kilos despite the Olympic length swimming pools. I seem to remember the post-Australia diet took some time to take effect but then there was a steady weekly loss.
I'm not surprised you feel burnt out seeing that scale refuse to move, so dispiriting when you've done so much. Don't give up! Start saving for new clothes in a smaller size - I've just googled losing weight with weight watchers and you're not the only one who finds it takes two or three weeks before the weight starts coming off. And you're already winning with the bigD.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think many of us would simply say stay off the carbs and don't worry about fats and proteins?

Would probably work, and give you energy. Much has changed in our views about nutrition since I abjured fats.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The only way I lose or maintain is vlc ( above ground veg , avocado and a few nuts), MODERATE protein as protein spikes insulin almost as much as carbs even though the bg rise can be slower and a higher percentage of fats. Just enough to satisfy. I would say my portions are normal even though the percentage is higher. I would starve and be ravenous without enough fat. The key for me is to keep insulin levels low as this keeps hunger away. Fat has very little effect on insulin.