How do we have a low carb Christmas?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@modesty007
Has a recipe for Brie Puffs.

Just chop up Brie into 2 cm cubes (doesnt matter if rind is on, or not)
Place them on a plate or microwaveable baking tray.
Microwave in 30 sec bursts until they puff up, go golden brown and resemble sort-of-macaroons.
Allow to cool.
Enjoy.

I also like them dusted with paprika, or salt, or garlic salt.

I wonder if a slice of garlic under the brie puff would work... :writer:

I'm going to have to get a microwave now and maybe join the 21st century:eek:

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)
Well this year I am going to try something new. I won't be buying any sweets, chocolate or biscuits. If the rest of the family want them they will have to buy them themselves. Not sure how they will take it lol :)

I posted this a few weeks ago. My husband has bought what he would really like for Christmas foodie treats....2 boxes of shortbread. My son has chosen a tin of 'pocket money' sweets. I have paid for these items....but hey, the plan is working.....I don't really like anything they have bought so far. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I’m dreaming of a low carb Christmas

Not like the ones I used to know

Where the iced cake glistened

The pudding was christened

And I never thought of saying “no”

I’m dreaming of a low carb Christmas

Counting the carbs with every bite.

May our feasts be tasty and light

And may all our test results be right.

;) :D :D
@copey399 we should all get together and make a record for diabetes uk charity. I'd buy it! :)

Reactions: 8 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ickihun I'd offer to join you but I doubt a sound like a cat on heat would help your cause .....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@ickihun I'd offer to join you but I doubt a sound like a cat on heat would help your cause .....
Same here. I just sang it to my husband and he begged me to stop (he actually said that if I didn't his brain would melt.)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Same here. I just sang it to my husband and he begged me to stop (he actually said that if I didn't his brain would melt.)
On my own then...... me thinks not. I'd definitely need a backing group. To drowned out my thyroid voice. lol very very deep when thyroid is playing up. lol

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @copey399 !

I feel hard done by that I most likely developed diabetes by eating spuds, pasta, bread and rice not chocolates - but on the other hand, I don't like Christmas pudding mince pies so won't miss them.

I have found a nut roast recipe !!!! Mucho rejoicing in the Mr & Mrs Celeriac household, because it was in one of my recipe ringbinders.
Only 4.5g carbs per serving. Nothing remotely grainy and it looks the colour of malt loaf. The quantity makes 1 x 900g loaf tin or two 450g loaf tins and takes only 20 mins to prepare.

The biggest challenge is going to be finding organic pecan nuts I think.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have only just given this some thought after reading this thread.So my initial thoughts are :

Lidl high protein rolls made into crackers for smoked salmon and creme fraiche or a selection of seafood and game pate.
Homemade cream of roasted cauliflower soup mebbe with a few high protein croutons.

Rib roast with a nice LIdl low carb cognac mustard and pepper sauce ( already in the fridge). With asparagus and green beans with bacon lardons, I am going to have some cheddar mash potato and a nice roastie....my only concession.

Some sort of trifle with homemade ice cream.

Cheeseboard with Lidl crackers as above.

This is my first Crimbo after diagnosis and TBH I have been trying to get agreement for a nice pice of beef on Christmas Day for a few years now anyway.

Still hoping Santa will help me out with a really nice bottle of red and a good malt whisky to assist my kitchen endeavours.
Will need more planning than usual but I kinda like that now.

Any suggestions or tweaks gratefully received.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Well done @copey399 !

I feel hard done by that I most likely developed diabetes by eating spuds, pasta, bread and rice not chocolates - but on the other hand, I don't like Christmas pudding mince pies so won't miss them.

I have found a nut roast recipe !!!! Mucho rejoicing in the Mr & Mrs Celeriac household, because it was in one of my recipe ringbinders.
Only 4.5g carbs per serving. Nothing remotely grainy and it looks the colour of malt loaf. The quantity makes 1 x 900g loaf tin or two 450g loaf tins and takes only 20 mins to prepare.

The biggest challenge is going to be finding organic pecan nuts I think.
That sounds nice,may i have the recipe please,celeriac.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nut roast

Makes one 900g loaf tin or 2x 450g loaf tins. If using smaller loaf tin you may need to reduce cooking time to 30 mins. Cooking time for 900g loaf tin is 45mins. Preparation time 20 mins.

900g size serves 8. Per serving: 4.5g carbs, 35g fat (9.8g saturated) 393 calories

100g pecan nuts
100g Brazil nuts
60g almonds, blanched
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
25g unsalted butter
5 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian ones are available in health food stores)
1 tsp sherry vinegar (I will sub either red/white wine vinegar or Apple cider vinegar)
Half tsp English mustard powder
3 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 tbsp fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
3 large free range eggs, beaten
150g Red Leicester or strong Cheddar cheese
400g tin chopped tomatoes, drained

Gently toast nuts and pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan, over medium heat, stirring gently until golden. Allow to cool, then pulse nuts in a food processor until finely chopped. Do not let the nuts turn into a powder.

Melt the butter in a small frying pan and sweat the shallots and garlic for 5 mins or until soft.

Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan) 350F Gas 4.

Grease the loaf tin(s), line the base with baking parchment, then grease again.

In a large bowl, mix the nuts, shallots & garlic, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, beaten eggs, sage, parsley, mustard powder and tomatoes. season with freshly ground salt and pepper. Mix well. Scoop mixture into prepared tin(s) and bake for 45mins (900g tin) possibly only 30 mins for 450g tins or until firm and golden.

Leave to cool slightly, then turn out on serving plate and peel away baking parchment.

Notes:

The nuts can be varied e.g. walnuts, hazelnuts, whatever takes your fancy. (This could be a good way of using up uneaten leftover nuts after Christmas)

For a rich tomato sauce, to accompany the nut roast, just heat up some passata with salt, pepper and a splash or two of Tabasco. (I recommend Tarantella organic passata which already has salt added)

The nut roast can be served cold and is suitable for a cold supper or picnic, especially with tomato salad.

The nut roast can be cooled, wrapped in baking paper and foil and frozen for up to a month.

To reheat, wrap in foil, place in a hot oven for 20 mins or until warmed through.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooh, reading all the posts here I am thinking of what I have missed out on ... we never had mince pies .. christmas pud .. bread sauce .. and the host of other goodies mentioned here .... I will only really miss ... nothing ! I will have all of what we normally have .. as a veggie christmas feast, been spot testing for different foods I don't eat often now and nothing has raised my blood sugars. Don't do nut roast, so the wife tells me ! I will not overindulge on the choc this year .. they give the wife a migraine, so are only purchased in very small amounts.
Also the wife dose not really approve of christmas .. we do give cards and presents, and this year have a tree and decorations for friends that are coming up for christmas dinner ! .. but as the wife says something about giving loaves (high in carbs) and fishes (we are rather strict vegetarians) so it rules us out from being a part of something that advocates high carbs and killing animals. I did say the wife is a little odd ...didn't I ? :bag:

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I thought the nativity and the fish sandwich story were different events. Not an expert :sorry:

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Nut roast

Makes one 900g loaf tin or 2x 450g loaf tins. If using smaller loaf tin you may need to reduce cooking time to 30 mins. Cooking time for 900g loaf tin is 45mins. Preparation time 20 mins.

900g size serves 8. Per serving: 4.5g carbs, 35g fat (9.8g saturated) 393 calories

100g pecan nuts
100g Brazil nuts
60g almonds, blanched
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
25g unsalted butter
5 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian ones are available in health food stores)
1 tsp sherry vinegar (I will sub either red/white wine vinegar or Apple cider vinegar)
Half tsp English mustard powder
3 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 tbsp fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
3 large free range eggs, beaten
150g Red Leicester or strong Cheddar cheese
400g tin chopped tomatoes, drained

Gently toast nuts and pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan, over medium heat, stirring gently until golden. Allow to cool, then pulse nuts in a food processor until finely chopped. Do not let the nuts turn into a powder.

Melt the butter in a small frying pan and sweat the shallots and garlic for 5 mins or until soft.

Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan) 350F Gas 4.

Grease the loaf tin(s), line the base with baking parchment, then grease again.

In a large bowl, mix the nuts, shallots & garlic, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, beaten eggs, sage, parsley, mustard powder and tomatoes. season with freshly ground salt and pepper. Mix well. Scoop mixture into prepared tin(s) and bake for 45mins (900g tin) possibly only 30 mins for 450g tins or until firm and golden.

Leave to cool slightly, then turn out on serving plate and peel away baking parchment.

Notes:

The nuts can be varied e.g. walnuts, hazelnuts, whatever takes your fancy. (This could be a good way of using up uneaten leftover nuts after Christmas)

For a rich tomato sauce, to accompany the nut roast, just heat up some passata with salt, pepper and a splash or two of Tabasco. (I recommend Tarantella organic passata which already has salt added)

The nut roast can be served cold and is suitable for a cold supper or picnic, especially with tomato salad.

The nut roast can be cooled, wrapped in baking paper and foil and frozen for up to a month.

To reheat, wrap in foil, place in a hot oven for 20 mins or until warmed through.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thank you celeriac

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Are they not both Christian?
Indeed, but decades apart so I was confused by your post :) As festivals go, Christmas is quite vegi-friendly. The nativity is the story of a baby (a vegan like most breastfed neonates) who receives two plant based gifts and a mineral for his birthday. (Just watch out for myrrh as it can lower blood sugar levels :nurse:)

I just love all the traditional winter fare. Root veg and dried fruits are sadly out now for me, but nuts and low carb gingerbread are still in. And two weeks off work. I love Christmas!

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I can only speak for me and the missus. If we are invited anywhere I will be VERY wary. We plan to have one Christmas meal out and I will recce the menu beforehand as usual.
At home it's much more fun since I don't fancy mince pies & pud any more and Mrs D can eat till they come out of her ears. Roast anything is easy with meat and some veg shared and some separate. I will make a cake I can eat -- last year I made a huge chocolate cheesecake which was so rich it lasted three months in the freezer.
If you have a family around it may not be so easy so I'll leave that to others.
Christmas is still a wonderful time what with crackers, pressies and the added blessing of (in my case) good health. The best present of all!
Hi Deejay can I please have ur recipe for that really rich cheesecake?

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I can only speak for me and the missus. If we are invited anywhere I will be VERY wary. We plan to have one Christmas meal out and I will recce the menu beforehand as usual.
At home it's much more fun since I don't fancy mince pies & pud any more and Mrs D can eat till they come out of her ears. Roast anything is easy with meat and some veg shared and some separate. I will make a cake I can eat -- last year I made a huge chocolate cheesecake which was so rich it lasted three months in the freezer.
If you have a family around it may not be so easy so I'll leave that to others.
Christmas is still a wonderful time what with crackers, pressies and the added blessing of (in my case) good health. The best present of all!
Hi Deejay can I please have the recipe for that really rich cheesecake?

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good thread, though making me hungry!!

I'm thinking we could come up with a recipe for lc stuffing, has anyone got one?

Haven't tried it out yet but am thinking onion, herbs, (need to look on paxo package but think mainly sage!), salt and pepper, low carb bread, ground nuts, maybe nut butter, butter, bit of cauliflower for texture, that should do it?!

jacqui-anne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm really looking forward to Christmas and hopefully being able to fit into a nice dress for the work night out! Christmas dinner itself is pretty low carb friendly as it is basically just a roast with loads of veggies. No roast potatoes for me thanks! I'll skip pudding but will probably have a cheeky wee Bailey's after dinner! It's all the other tempting bad stuff surrounding Christmas that I'll find harder to resist like the tins of choccies and biscuits at work and the kids selection boxes!