How do we have a low carb Christmas?

Anglo_dude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GPs who say blood testing is irrelevent
I'm thinking we could come up with a recipe for lc stuffing, has anyone got one?

A sausage meat based Chestnut stuffing would work. Something like this would be nice:

400gms Good sausage meat (Heck square sausage would work)
1 Red onion chopped finely
200gms cooked and chopped chestnuts (quartered or a bit smaller if they are big)
Sage and parsley easy on the sage, heavy on the parsley
One egg (maybe not needed, but would bind it all together)
Salt & Pepper and paprika to taste

Optionally you could also put in peppers along with the onion and some garlic (fry them up together to soften them if you don't want stronger rawer flavours).
Mix all the ingredients together and wrap in foil and bake for 30 minutes.

From what I can work out, pretty much a carb free stuffing which should taste pretty special for Christmas.

Reactions: 8 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Just spotted these guys on the Aldi advert :woot: Should be easy to make lower carb.

Strawberry Santas (they looked prettier on the TV advert to be honest, these ones must be the rejects)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-recipes/desserts/strawberry-santas/

28kri2f.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good thread!

I've been googling recipes for some low carb Christmas goodies and I've found one for boozy double cream choc. truffles (I'll do half with brandy and half with rum) and one for marzipan which I plan to shape in to stars or something christmasy then drizzle over some 75%+ choc. In the bad old days I would buy Thorntons truffles and Lidl marzipan so I'm hoping my substitutions will keep me a happy bunny.

On the big day I'm planning to have Lidl HP roll with cream cheese and smoked salmon for breakfast (along with a drop of prosecco) then for dinner it'll be roast rib of beef and roast chicken (with a good sausagemeat, sage and onion stuffing), roasted cauliflower and broccoli, glazed carrots and sprouts-with-pancetta plus a rich red wine gravy and a glass or three of a good red). Him indoors will be having roast spuds and Yorkshires with his, if he wants them although just recently he seems not to be bothering.

I then plan to make some kind of splendiferous dessert - just haven't found a recipe for the right one yet. I don't particularly want it to be chocolate and most special occasion low carb puds seem to have chocolate in it. Luckily doing without Chrimbo pud or mincepies won't be a hardship as for the last 20 or so years they have given me the most awful heart burn, so they won't be missed.

Then for supper, if I'm hungry after all that lunch, it'll be cold meat from lunch with salad and cheeses.

All washed down with plenty of prosecco and G&Ts.
Don't know if this is of any interest but I made this plum & almond pudding yesterday: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/749719/plum-and-almond-pudding
Used sweetener instead of sugar and replaced the SR flour with more almond flour and teaspoon of baking powder. Also used 2tbsp of hot water that had had a mulled wine spice bag brewed in it! It was really tasty with cream and quite Christmassy because of the spices. I only had a few pieces of the plum and found it didn't have any affect on my BS levels.

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
On the Aldi website they have recipes for pan-fried Brussels sprouts with Pancetta, also cabbage balls which look interesting.
The fried in butter sprouts with bacon or pancetta is my husband's absolute favourite way to have sprouts. He would eat a whole plateful on his own if it weren't for the anti-social consequences.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is only one way to have Brussels Sprouts at Christmas, and that is not to have them at all. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 8 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am the only one in the family who likes sprouts so when we are jostling for hob space, I lose :blackeye:

I told my mum about @Brunneria's mum's braised red cabbage and apple dish and she is up for making that. Sounds lovely and should smell even better with all those spices.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they're hardly low carb...I believe they have the highest carb content of all nuts which was was a great disappointment as I used to love them...:(:(

My favourite Christmas veggies used to be sprouts fried with butter & nutmeg, and served with bacon and those blasted chestnuts, but I can at least still have the sprouts sans nuts.

Robbity

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've always loved chestnuts so was extremely surprised when last year I had an allergic reaction to them (lips and throat swelled up). Thankfully it wasn't too bad but was told at the hospital that it is one of the most common allergies and that I shouldn't eat them again as next time my reaction could be a lot worse. It's the only food I'm allergic to and to suddenly have an allergy at 59 was a bit weird.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to love Clement Faugier sweetened chestnut puree on toast as a teenager for breakfast. *sigh* I prefer brussels sprouts raw. Just peel off the manky outer leaves until it reveals the firm tight mini-white cabbage looking sprout. Quarter into a salad. One my father liked was Stilton, brussels, toasted pine nuts and mayo, I happily eat them raw without side effects.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quarter into a salad.
Never tried raw brussel sprouts tho I love them cooked, so am deffo going to try this one - thanks @Celeriac
There is only one way to have Brussels Sprouts at Christmas, and that is not to have them at all. :rolleyes:
As I said I love em but this comment made me guffaw! The rest of my family are definitely on your side with that one @britishpub!

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really appreciate all of the suggestions. This is my first low carb Thanksgiving and Christmas too and since we always go to my parents (the land of all things terribly delicious) and my mom requests dishes from my sis and I, I have been trying to figure out what to take. And how to navigate all of my favorites.

Thanksgiving- fill up on turkey, spinach salad. I plan to bring a mashed loaded cauliflower dish and make my own cranberry sauce with some stevia/erithrytol/wine/seasonings. For dessert, I will make a pumpkin cheesecake...low carb style. We eat dessert later in the evening with coffee, so evenly spaced out, I should be just fine.

Christmas- fill up on pork roast w/ cheese sauce. Roasted veggies ( I will offer to bring and then use more low carb than root veggies), again my favorite cranberry sauce. The rest I will navigate cautiously.

We entertain quite a bit, so I will include pickles rolled in cc and ham, cheese balls, cucumber/dill faux-sandwiches, dark chocolate bark with nuts & fruit extract (to avoid the dried fruit that I usually use), lc meatballs in a sugar-free BBQ glaze, etc. And cheese, thank the gods, there is always cheese and cheese is enough. :)

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit my first Thanksgiving dinner (in about 1990 I think) was very strange.

I got used to it all after a couple of years, and Candied Yams, Pumpkin Pie et al became quite normal.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We need to sticky this thread until after the holidays. I am getting all kinds of wonderful ideas.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit my first Thanksgiving dinner (in about 1990 I think) was very strange.

I got used to it all after a couple of years, and Candied Yams, Pumpkin Pie et al became quite normal.

I adore pumpkin pie. I realize that is an American thing, but oh my. :)

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do we have a low carb Christmas?

We don't! But don't have the icing on the cake or the mince pies.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I adore pumpkin pie. I realize that is an American thing, but oh my. :)
Do you have a good recipe for pumpkin pie @vintageutopia? I managed to grow a pumpkin and now have a lot of puree in the fridge waiting for me to do something with it! Made pumpkin and hazelnut scones which were good but not sure what else to do with it!