How fat is a fatty Liver (or Pancreas)

Zeddedhed

This might be a strange (or entirely ridiculous) question but here goes...
How much fat is likely to be involved in the whole fatty liver/pancreas scenario?

The reason for asking is that I've lost near on 5kg over the last four weeks (11/09/21 - 14/10/21 to be exact) and I don't look any different. Not one bit. At all.

I actually don't really care about the aesthetics - I'm losing weight to help with reducing BG, but it did get me wondering where all that weight was, because it clearly wasn't forming the padding around the gut or the man boobs or the extra few chins.

So, is it possible that the whole 4.9kg is from the liver and pancreas? If so that's a bit of a shocker.

Any ideas?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a fat layer around all of our internal organs. They are essential to protect the endometrium. As the fat is spread over a large area, around and in between the organs, it's possible to have a great amount of invisible fat.

A more informative question might be: As a percentage, how much of your excess weight does 5kg represent?

Zeddedhed

We have a fat layer around all of our internal organs. They are essential to protect the endometrium. As the fat is spread over a large area, around and in between the organs, it's possible to have a great amount of invisible fat.

A more informative question might be: As a percentage, how much of your excess weight does 5kg represent?
Thats a tricky one, as I won't know how much of it was excess until I reach the weight I'm happy with.

The good old BMI model tells me that I should ideally be about 80kgs. I'm currently 112/113, and started out 117/118.

I reckon if I got to 80kgs I'd look like I was dying from some awful wasting disease. Maybe I'll get that far and find out. Who knows?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much fat is likely to be involved in the whole fatty liver/pancreas scenario?

The reason for asking is that I've lost near on 5kg over the last four weeks (11/09/21 - 14/10/21 to be exact) and I don't look any different. Not one bit. At all.

I actually don't really care about the aesthetics - I'm losing weight to help with reducing BG, but it did get me wondering where all that weight was, because it clearly wasn't forming the padding around the gut or the man boobs or the extra few chins.

So, is it possible that the whole 4.9kg is from the liver and pancreas? If so that's a bit of a shocker.

Any ideas?
I don't know about the fat surrounding the liver but as regards the fat in the liver: the average weight of a liver is 1.5kgs and fat becomes a problem at about 10% so 150g.

alex1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard elsewhere that some of the initial weight loss can be water, especially if you've gone the low carb route.
Don't quote me on that though as I'm no expert.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I reckon if I got to 80kgs I'd look like I was dying from some awful wasting disease.

Everyone will tell you that you are too thin.
Ignore them.
They will get used to it, and after a while you will be normal again. :)

Your biggest problem will probably be your clothes, which will need replacing.
The charity shops did well out of me when I lost 2 stone.

Go for it - it will probably be a long term exercise but will be well worth it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ignore the scales. Use a belt, or piece of string. See where it measure now and then every 2 weeks or so. It will shrink, even if you look the same to you

Reactions: zand

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Lol, just hit 88kg down from 132. I’ve had people ask me if I had surgery, or If I have some health issues. I just tell them I’m golden, I just quit eating rice, which goes over well in East Asia, but it’s kinda the truth.

I’m still at 20% body fat, so yeah it seems the body is really good at filing every available space. I do think the organ fat is the first to burn off, otherwise it seems to come off in an even distribution

Reactions: alex1965

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Any ideas?
Frustratingly enough, for me the weight loss started everywhere BUT my gut. Like fasting blood sugars, gut circumfence is the last to come down. My legs became relatively skinny in comparison to the rest of me, and my normally ample bosom became rather deflated. (And travelling south because of it, much to my frustration!). Everything else seemed to not change at all. But the liver test results showed the fat was reducing there to a point where my NAFLD, which was supposed to kill me eventually, wasn't even detectable. I don't think you lost all the weight exactly there, but it will have made some difference, I'm sure. Though I didn't see it at first, I was losing weight around my middle, and eventually, I lost weight more in proportion. And yeah... In the beginning, when you cut the carbs, you lose a lot of water weight rather rapidly. The fats take a little longer to follow suit, but they do.

chani111

I think you will need to lose 2stone before you really see a difference. Those who haven’t seen you for ages might spot it earlier. Good luck. You could measure yourself, waist, chest arms and legs, you will see a different that way much more quickly.

SwissT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that other people are better than me at spotting if I look different. That's certainly the way it worked when I used to put on weight. :) Now that I'm losing it I only notice certain things all at once and not gradually. Well done for losing 5kg but if you keep it going you'll notice changes when they come.

Tannith

BANNED

Any ideas?

A healthy liver contains a small amount of fat. It becomes a problem when fat reaches 5% to 10% of your liver's weight.

Fatty Liver Disease: Risk Factors, Symptoms, Types ...
upload_2021-10-15_16-38-42.png

Previous studies have found the mean weight of the liver in adult human males to range from 1677 to 1807 g,1,7,8 with an overall range of 670 to 2900 g,7,9,10 which is consistent with the present study that found the mean liver weight to be 1561 g with a range of 838 to 2584 g.

Normal Organ Weights in Men: Part II—The Brain, Lungs, Liver...

Presumably a liver with a lot of fat on it weighs more.

(Edited by mod to remove off topic content)

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The good old BMI model tells me that I should ideally be about 80kgs. I'm currently 112/113, and started out 117/118.

Just checking.
Does this take you to the highest BMI in the Normal range, or somewhere in the middle of the Normal range?
Dividing lines are a bit artificial, and if you are at a point where gaining or losing a kilo takes you from Normal to Overweight then it is probably advisable to lose another few kilos until you are further into the Normal range.

I still can't quite get down to mid range Normal BMI and the thought of getting down to the bottom end of Normal is extremely daunting. Not that I have any intention of attempting this.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
A large number of posts have been removed as being off topic. The subject is the OP's 5kg weight loss and his question as to how much of that weight loss could be from the liver and pancreas. If you wish to discuss diets designed to cure fatty livers please do so on another thread.