Type 1 How high should your blood sugar get post meal?

D

Deleted member 391597

Ok, so I am aware that the guidelines for a Type 1 diabetic suggest to be under 9mmol after eating a meal. However, I was told by my DSN that you can go up to 14mmol 2 hours post meal as long as you drop back down to a number between 4-7mmol before your next meal.

Does this seem right? I have my reservations and I'm trying hard to be under 9 after each meal..

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I go for under 9, but recently diagnosed people do have a tiny bit of leeway because of the honeymoon period. I was told 10 or under.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I was told this to but mine does go up to 12 every now and then but usually drop back down except if I'm I'll all the best.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
14 from a DSN??sorry, she/he should be stating what the guidelines are and telling you on a long term basis that under 9.0 after a meal but whilst they titeatinv doses xx is acceptable...

To me that is poor education... but 30+ years ago I wasnt given a figure after meals to achieve..jyst before meals..

Good that rises after meals are now having guidelines but personally I think nurses should give better guidance and words.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's really high, if my BS went that high I wouldn't be able to breathe properly and I'd feel like there was a bus parked on my head.

Pauntiep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really high, if my BS went that high I wouldn't be able to breathe properly and I'd feel like there was a bus parked on my head.
I used to get those levels nearly constantly! Maybe that's why I've felt so awful for the last few years