How important are regular meal times.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi all,
Just wondering as with my job my meal times are eratic to say the least and sometimes missed.
Just how important is keeping regular meal times and is there anything offical i can put to my employer.
Graham1441 :twisted:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Graham.
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you a driver, LGV perhaps ? Subject to Tacho regs, or am I mixing you up with somebody else ?

Regular meals are very important for a Diabetic.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Graham Ken's right in theory, but it depends on your way of eating and medication.
If you use premixed insulins or some of the orals, it's very important. Diet only is less so and there are things you can use with each meal, like rapid insulins or Starlix, which isn't used much but works pretty well. With thoose, you are not tied to the clock

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I should have said,
I`m a 7.5 tonne driver, on Metformin, 500mg, three times a day.
Taco regs are a joke, on mondays i start at 5 am and finnished at 12.30 and according to my Taco i had driven 3 hours 45 mins, Total work hours 7 45, I had had no breaks as there is no time.
Yet I`ve done 20 deliverys and that includes taking some up 2 or 3 flights of staires.
I have now been told again I am to learn another run so what time i get to eat goes out the window.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Can you ask to see your HR department or go to your union? I work in HR for my sins and definitely think that this would fall into the category of reasonable adjustment that they are obliged to make. If they think the adjustment is not reasonable, they then have to justify the grounds on which it is not reasonable to make it.

PM me if you need any more help

Anticarb

:D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Graham
The Metformin won't overwork your beta cells and not eating won't matter much. the exercise will however help with your insulin resistance. Surely breaks are legally enforceable? Are you losing weight?

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
To answer the two questions, What is an HR Department, and we dont have one.

I have lost weight, and inches round the waist, keep losing my trousers, lol.

What I need is somewhere offical that says meal times are important, something i can put under his nose.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
HR I would guess is personel dept, non existant at most palces :lol:

I know where you are coming from with the no breaks as I'm HGV and my boss thinks breaks waste his time. I've learnt to eat little and often and always on the move. I have snacks of fruit and nuts and also take crispbreads and such that I can eat while driving. If you have a boss like 100% of transport managers I'm afraid your wasting your time, you'll have to find other ways of taking a break.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
HR is about the same as Health and Safty, just something other people have.
Just have to wait till im put totaly on Insulin and lose my C1 Licence that might make him wake up, proberly blame me for it anywhey.
I also take Lansoprazole to stop indegestion that almost choked me to death by making my voice box drop down into the windpipe caused by eating on the move.
Do I haer Health and Safty, no.

Maybe its about time instead of telling us about what we have TELL EMPLOYERS.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Graham see if CAB can help you on discrimination grounds.

Trinkwasser

I suppose getting a proper job isn't an option with the number of unemployed truckers nowadays.

My best transport manager was an ex-driver, he knew the score. He turned a blind eye when I went a few miles out of my way to stay with friends overnight, and various other minor transgressions, because he knew I would never come back until the job was completed and I kept my fuel consumption down, and I seldom caused trouble. I didn't so much work *for* him as *with* him. Sadly such bosses are a dying breed.