How long have you been ketogenic

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
How long have you been on a low carb high fat diet? Or a ketogenic diet?

I have been very low carb high fat for 6 years. Typically less than 25g carb per day. I think I have been ketogenic for all of those 6 years, but not 100%sure as don’t test. I am stronger, fitter, healthier now than I was 10 years ago, probably 20 years ago. I do eat bacon occasionally, so can’t claim to be totally processed food free, but am close.

Love to hear from others that have been long term low carb and their health since being on this diet / way of life.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
October 2013, I think, just after I finally got my diagnosis and realised that my health and symptoms improved during a fasting test.
My life and health has improved so much that I have a full time job.
No hypos since my last glucose tolerance test! (Just shows that you can have a life if you eat the right balance of foods.)(for you!!!!)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
2 and a half years for me think below 30g of carb after the first two months on low carb programme when on about 50g of carbs. Feel wonderful on it still and see no reason to change in the future I love what I eat
Ps do record blood ketones once a week and still registering ketones today on OMAD was 3.3 ketones with bgs same drop of blood 4.1 so it’s still working! It keeps the bgs low.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since early 2014, though as far as I'm aware being fat adapted means that I switch in and out of nutritional ketosis depending on whether i'm using carbs or fat as fuel at the time. I try to keep carbs below 50g a day, but sometimes go much lower, and 20-25g a day for a few weeks got me "kick started" initially.

Since many low carbers see the same benefits as those who are aware they're in ketosis, I suspect they are too.

ETA the only disadvantage for me is that sometimes I get a somewhat hyperactive brain and can't sleep.:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian DP

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked out that I needed to eat low carb in the early 1970s, and was fairly confident I was right when Dr Howard, of the Cambridge diet, had some sachets of his mixtures made up in the pilot plant where I worked. I did the storage testing on them, and also took some home with me as they were really nice, particularly the ones which had gelatine to set them. I can't remember if it was peach or apricot flavour which was my favourite, there were strawberry and chocolate ones too. I have been really unlucky to have only met GPs who were against the idea of low carb, and one at the maternity hospital who was incensed by it.
Over the decades I have gone back to my Atkins CCLL of 50 gm of carbs a day many times, and always felt that I was coming up for air after the diets I was told were essential for life.

Reactions: Ian DP and Lotties