1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How many meds are you on?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Jackthehat, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Starfish18

Starfish18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At this point in my life I'm not on any medication for anything

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  2. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend
    Retired Moderator

@Jackthehat @Indie Cole
    Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 600,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
    • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
    Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
    • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
    • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
    Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
    • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
    • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
    Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
    • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
    • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
    However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
    • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
    Edited by mod to add in another tag.

#22 daisy1, Apr 28, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2019
  3. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Levothyroxine 50mg per day and Candasartan 8mg per day.

4. LindsayJane

LindsayJane Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My relationship with metformin was short lived. No medication, just diet controlled :cat:

• Like Like x 5
  5. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just got rid of my gliclizide and ramipril - now only on metformin 500 2 times a day

Considering I started off 10 years ago on insulin - soon dropped after 3 weeks, highest dose gliclizide, statins and ramipril for kidney protection I'm pretty chuffed! :)

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  6. pixie1

pixie1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For diabetes none.
    For hypertension I take two meds. This is on going and a pain, I'm on 10mg ramipril,
    I should be on 8mg doxazocin, I reduced it down 4mg as I became incontinent if I wasn't able to go to the loo in time. At the lower dosage I do not have this problem.
    It's a constant battle to lower my Bp.
    I think I have to keep my carbs right down and drink plenty of water to my Bp down.

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I'm not on any diabetes meds.
    I do take one 100mcg Levothyroxene Sodium tablet every day as I have hypothyroidism, and one 20mg Fluoxetine (Prozac) capsule daily to keep depression at bay.
    I've just started taking Loratadine tablets for hayfever as the grass pollen season seems to be getting under way.
    I do take Omega oil capsules daily, and Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K capsules during the winter.
    And I have various vitamin supplements - multivitamins, vitamin B, and zinc tablets which I take from time to time when I remember.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  8. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

None

Was on Metformin for about 3 days before GP took me off. He assumed I was going straight onto Insulin.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Thyroxine for a very long time, but nothing else.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

R-ALA capsule supplements.
    Nothing else.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

Metformin and victoza for diabetes
    Several others for other conditions

12. Diawara

Diawara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

nothing since june 2018 four months after being diagnosed....

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Prescribed: 500mg Metformin and 5mg Amlodopine

Prescriptions filled: None

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

None

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Hammer1964

Hammer1964 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glicazide 40mg x 1 a day, Amlopidine 5mg x 1 a day, Pravastatin 20mg x 1 a day and Lansoprazole 30mg x 1 a day

16. Northernlad1965

Northernlad1965 · Member

Several for other conditions, but none for my T2D. Doc wanted to prescribe Metformin but I managed to convince him to give me 3 months to prove I didn't need it. Dropped myself from 76 down to 46 in 3 months, and now I seem to have got the hang of LCHF and fasting, I fully expect to be in remission at next test (my meter predicts my hba1c @ 4.6). If successful I want to start removing some of the non-diabetes related meds, or at least reducing them substantially.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. LizAnne2015

LizAnne2015 Type 2 · Active Member

Metformin 500 (2 morning and 2 evening)
    lisinopril
    atorvastatin
    gabapentin
    Omeprazole
    ferrous sulphate
    amitriptyline
    folic acid
    Clenil modulite
    salbutamol

Probably forgotten something but I think that's it.

18. Severe_Needle_phobia

Severe_Needle_phobia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Metformin 500mg ( 2morning + 2 evening)
    Jardiance 10mg in the morning
    Lot of other meds for other problems .

19. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Pyridostigmine 360 mg daily depending on how I feel sometimes have to double the dose.
    Prednisolone 10 mg daily now 15 mg daily
    Azathioprine 200 mg daily now on hold till leukocyte levels recover
    Losartin potassium 50 mg daily
    Alendronic acid 70 mg once a week
    Simvastatin 40 mg daily
    Lansoprazole 15 mg daily
    Ventolin inhaler
    Clenil Modulite inhaler
    Adcal-D3 3000 mg per day chewable tablets
    Soluble Asprin 75 mg per day
    Furosemide 20 mg per day
    Fluconazole 50 mg daily
    Co-Trimoxazole 960 mg per week on Monday then Friday
    Folic Acid 5 mg daily
    Metformin 500 mg per day

Metformin is the only one for diabetes

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its been seven years since my diagnosis, and probably pre-diabetic for 10 year before that. I still take no diabetic medication, never have. I was back to non-diabetic levels within 6 months, and apart from a bad year, I have remained non-diabetic.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook