1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How much do you pay for yours medications

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by hooner, Aug 27, 2020.

1. hooner

hooner · Member

What's your weekly/monthly/yearly cost of your medications for type 1 diabetes, everything included. Needles, insulin, stripes and so on and so forth.
    Do you pay for it yourself? insurance? medical card? government benefit?

2. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Luckily I am in the UK and we have the National Health Service. I paid in by a nominal tax when working but get all care and medications for free.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Another lucky UK resident here. Thank God for the NHS

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Medications for diabetics are free in the UK, but you need to apply for a medical exemption certificate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Though some of the newer tech is very much limited and not that many get that on prescription (eg libre) .
    But yes I'm another UK resident who doesn't have to pay for their prescription meds - I did have to self-fund the libre for 2 years though until I got it on prescription.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. porl69

Unless you live in Wales :) Cymru am byth

• Like Like x 1
  7. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @hooner welcome to the forum:). I’m another living in the uk. Which country do you live and do you have to pay a lot ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. porl69

The taxes we pay in comparison to the very costly prices of insulin, test strips, pump supplies etc are very minimal

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. hooner

hooner · Member

how much do US citizens pay for their drugs.

10. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

The NHS provides free treatment for many things - right from the maternity care, the hospital for the birth, most medical needs throughout childhood. The deductions from wages for tax and National Insurance vary according to income, and there are charges for prescriptions if not exempt, but when older, that is no longer to be paid, so I get all my medication free plus a state pension.
    I know which system I prefer to live with. When I was working I used to estimate that I worked for the state one week of each month, but it still left me enough to buy a house and ride a motorbike even when I lived alone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I am in the US. I pay $40 every 3 months for all the insulin I need, I pay $40 every 3 months for all the pods I need. The pump is free and the insulin for it would be free except that my preferred insulin only comes in a pen needle instead of a vial. My Dexcom supplies and testing strips are also free. My first insurance premiums and copays are covered completely by my secondary insurance. My secondary insurance premium is covered by my husbands past company he worked for.

This wasn't always the case. We are retired now but when my husband was working we paid about $300 a month for the same above coverage in an insurance premium. My husband purposely left a better paying job 15 years before retirement to switch to a company that had better medical and retirement benefits.

• Informative Informative x 2
    #11 Marie 2, Aug 29, 2020 at 3:04 AM
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook