1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How much weight have YOU lost?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Administrator, Aug 14, 2013.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

That's fabulous progress StuLish, and it surely heralds a seismic shift in your life and prospects. Another 5lbs and you will have lost a whole me. I only say that to point out just how much you have lost.

Although I have no idea how tall you might be,or other aspects of your health, it seems likely trimming a bit further could be beneficial to you.

Are you still doing the 800 calorie protocol? If so, just be mindful you don't find your metabolism slowing down. Have you thought about how you will move forward over the longer term?

Again, don't take those questions as critical in any way, but it is often important to look forward a little bit, to plan for "what happens next", to avoid any form of yo-yo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Andydragon - I have posted about this relatively regularly, over time.

When I was diagnosed, I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, but did have definite love handles, so I was carrying some weight, I clearly didn't need. I never set out to lose weight. I focused purely on improving my blood glucose numbers, figuring I'd be in a better place with good blood glucose levels, with love handles, than skinny with rampant, uncontrolled diabetes. OK, those comments are at the ends of the spectrum, but nevertheless, weight loss was never a target of mine.

All of that said, as my numbers improved, my love handles melted away. Of course, my self-testing informed me that I should trim back on the carbs, and the rest is history.

On my journey, I got very trim, very fast, and too had folks saying I was looking thin, and so on. From my own perspective, I was cross that I also lost weight from my lady-bump curves and bottom, as well as my arms and legs. However, I stuck with it, with a clear objective to stall weight loss and maintain, which I did. I

It took a while to stabilise.

However, to my point really, after that ramble. Your body will probably catch up with you in time.

In my case, as already mentioned, I lost from some places I'd rather have retained, but in time, my body sort of smoothed out the jagged edges, and sort of redistributed itself - so, I'd urge you to be patient with that, but do try not to lose muscle mass. That's important. Keeping muscle mass up, helps with all sorts,

What people think of you? Sometimes comments are made from genuine concern, and sometimes just because you look different. And when these changes happen quickly, folks can be concerned something sinister is going on. Once we pass a certain, indeterminate age, we always seem to be asked, "has your weight changed at all of late?"

Finally, sometimes, a few, thankfully a small minority, can make unhelpful remarks out of some form of envy. SOmetimes because they have found it really hard to trim up themselves.

So, in all of this, I would urge you to take stock, and ask yourself the following:

Have I lost weight "too quickly"?
    Am I in a healthy (or healthier) weight zone?
    Am I clinically underweight (although, the BMI scale is a blunt too, it's fine for a rule of thumb)?
    Do I feel well?
    Am I still able to do the things (in terms of moving around/exercise)I used to, before weight loss ?
    How are my general health markers looking? Are there any areas of concern?

I would suggest you be guided by your health, and how you feel. Of course, you may have gone too thin, but if you are thinner than you were, but still in a good place, be guided by your health, not others' opinions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get told that too, but I tell myself its just their jealousy. Id prefer to look scraggy but be healthy than look plump but have high bg. You are doing really well and over time the arms and tums should even out...wellthay what I'm hoping. If they don't then I will look on my sagging as battle scars won in a winning battle

• Like Like x 1
  4. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I lost a stone. Just one stone. I am still 19 stones, after 8 1/2 years of low carbing.

5. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Well done you! I think people get used to seeing us bigger so when we get a lot smaller people just can't adjust - I had that too people saying to me you are looking well but ... don't go losing anymore - I did lose just under 3 stone in a short period of time and to people I hadn't seen in years I was 5 stone lighter. My advice to you is you know your own body so you decide and what I would add is I have put on over half a stone from the weight I was when people where saying I was starting to look scrawny and I am desperately trying to get back to that weight or less as I now feel bloated and fat at the weight I am, although I know I am not overweight by the BMI figures just have a pot belly. Your body... you decide and well done again. Btw I was size 20 at heaviest and now a wee size 10 and loving it!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. rosemaree

rosemaree Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I always see this thread and never actually read it! But everyone is doing so well :happy:

I started losing weight nearly 2 years before being diagnosed, I was actually trying, but have a feeling the diabetes may have helped me along :facepalm: in that period I lost 37 kg (that's just under 6 stone I think),

In the 6 months after diagnosis, I lost a further 16 kg (about 2.5 stone), I still had a bit to loose, but was also constantly getting comments from the people around me - they kept telling me I couldn't loose any more weight, and making jokes about how I was disappearing, one particularly tactless acquaintance actually asked me if I "had Aids or something". My bmi at this point is still borderline overweight, they know I had changed my lifestyle, but don't know I am diabetic.

I have been having a bit of a tough time these last few months and have unfortunately put on about 9 kg, but trying to get back on track and see some more improvements in my health :cat:

I am also quite wobbly from the weight loss, but that doesn't compare to how much better I feel for having lost the weight!

#686 rosemaree, Sep 27, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  7. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m now 83.7kg so am still dropping at roughly rate of 0.15kg a day. I’m surprised I haven’t plateaued yet. It fluctuates and I still have days I go up a few 100g and other days (like today) I lost 300g since yesterday

Im feeling good. I still have a bit to go, as I think I said, my first goal is “healthy” BMI which would be 80.9kg. I then want to get to 76kg as that’a equivalent to 12st and feels like a nice even figure and overall stretch goal would be about 11stone which I think is 71kg or so

Honestly, a flat stomach is my aim. I know it will be tough as frankly the weight loss has left me a bit saggy but it’s my aim

I’m now just about fitting some medium sized clothing. Nearly 34 waist, but vanity sizing is such a thing. What I do know is my belt is significantly looser

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook