How much weight have YOU lost?

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I changed my diet within the last 2 weeks, reduced carbs to around 100g a day and keeping an eye on the amount of fat. Also exercising more. So far ive lost 10lb. Another 3 stone to go.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost 8lbs in 3 weeks (when I was diagnosed). Trying to keep calories under 1200 by reducing portions, reducing the enormous amount of fat I was eating, and cutting out the wine. I have 3 meals a day, never have snacked, never been one for sugary drinks, and don't have a sweet tooth.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost about 10kg since I was diagnosed last December, at which time I stopped eating any sweets, cakes, etc, and lost about 3kg until early January, but then no more which surprised me a bit. Since then I've gone onto a (currently very) low carb diet and have lost another 7-8kg - it goes up and down. After feeling really lousy for the first couple of weeks, I feel very much better and more clear headed, and best of all I've only had a couple of migraines since December Instead of several a week that were the norm previously. I'm on metformin 500mg x3 and am supposed to also be doing more exercise, and am going to be in trouble with the nurse for not doing so. I still have a lot of weight to lose though...

I'm quite enjoying my diet apart from not being able to eat much fruit and have my daily glass of orange juice. I miss my fruit more than any sweeties or cake.

Robbity

PS I also worry about losing my nice fat padding - and as I already feel the cold I'm dreading next winter when hopefully(??) I'll have lot a lot more weight.

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
I've lost a stone & a half now & feel better than I have done in years :D

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
lost 3 stone (~20kg) to the pound since 18th December 72 days (another 3 to go). Feeling so much fitter :happy:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Lost 22lb since the start of may, but its been a case of 2lb off, 3lb back on, then 3.5 lb off etc etc, so don't get disheartened if it goes up and down in fits and starts, its the overall trend over time that matters. I think that why they tell people not to weigh themselves too often. I weigh myself everyday, however I have nerves of steel and don't get put off very easily, i'm 2.2 lb heavier than I was on Friday, but the lifestyle change is here to stay and it will go down again.
Thomothebear, just wondering.....
Lost 1 stone 2lbs by weekend before last. Gained 5lbs then lost and back to having 1 stone 2lbs last Saturday. Water retention? Very good. Not eaten carbs, choccie, drunk wine etc stuck to diet rigidly. Do you know why?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i actually lost 34lb by the beginning if this year at which point I stopped the calorie deficit and increased protein intake a bit to try and help build muscle in conjunction with resistance exercise, as a result my average weight went up by 5lb but this has been muscle mass rather than fat.

Even now my weight fluctuates a lot and I believe this is due to the amount of water I drink each day (needed for fat burning metabolism), and the amount of glycogen stored in muscle which get used when I exercise. The fluctuation is as much as 6lb in a single day, I beleive that this itself is a good indicator that its down to the better lean body mass ratio which means there is more muscle to hold and release water.

I'm sure somebody better informed than me would be able to give us a full metabolic explanation, but as it is I'm happy with the explanation I have been given, and especially with the results!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sa
I was 97 kgs & now 74 kgs (15 stone 3lbs to 11 stone 9)
HB was 13.6 now 5.8
Bought a new top yesterday in a 12!!! So much more choice then when I was a size 22!!!
me
i actually lost 34lb by the beginning if this year at which point I stopped the calorie deficit and increased protein intake a bit to try and help build muscle in conjunction with resistance exercise, as a result my average weight went up by 5lb but this has been muscle mass rather than fat.

Even now my weight fluctuates a lot and I believe this is due to the amount of water I drink each day (needed for fat burning metabolism), and the amount of glycogen stored in muscle which get used when I exercise. The fluctuation is as much as 6lb in a single day, I beleive that this itself is a good indicator that its down to the better lean body mass ratio which means there is more muscle to hold and release water.

I'm sure somebody better informed than me would be able to give us a full metabolic explanation, but as it is I'm happy with the explanation I have been given, and especially with the results!

that would sound about right. Weight increased by as much as 6lbs in 2 days. Am on feet all day - teacher but not always drinking enough. Don't get chance. Started power walking for 15 mins in day - all I get if I want to eat lunch. Keep forgetting metformin at end do school day. Got hideous cold. Don't know if that contributes. Hacked off as desperate to shed weight and have stuck to diet rigidly!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really would not worry about putting on weight for a few days, especially if you are feeling under the weather. With 6lb its entirely possible that it is water retention which can be caused by inbalance in sodium/potassium intake.

I would not normally suggest this as it can drive you mad, but you could try weighing yourself morning and night every day for a week and see how much your weight fluctuates. I usually find that Im at my lightest at around 4:30 in the afternoons, sometimes that will be a few pounds lighter than I was first thing in the morning on the same day, depending on how much exercise I had done. Once you realise this is perfectly normal you should stop worrying about it.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I really would not worry about putting on weight for a few days, especially if you are feeling under the weather. With 6lb its entirely possible that it is water retention which can be caused by inbalance in sodium/potassium intake.

I would not normally suggest this as it can drive you mad, but you could try weighing yourself morning and night every day for a week and see how much your weight fluctuates. I usually find that Im at my lightest at around 4:30 in the afternoons, sometimes that will be a few pounds lighter than I was first thing in the morning on the same day, depending on how much exercise I had done. Once you realise this is perfectly normal you should stop worrying about it.
:) thank you!

Beley1984

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
I'd like also to share my grandma experience on losing her weight and making her diabetes less problem to her. She, after knowing that she has diabetes. She stopped eating much rice, any food that is sweet and even her milk she did not put sugar in it. Aside that she kept doing it for many day, she also start eating ampalaya. It was bitter veggie but it would help diabetic persons lower their blood sugar. Today, she is back with her normal blood sugar with discipline and consistence. I love her* attitude ^_^

m1dpq

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great lot.. Jazz, People who think they are better than others..
When folks like us have diabetes, regardlles of T1 or T2, then when the mention of Diet comes along we all cringe, but in reality its not dieting we need but to change our eating lifestyle..

I'm not promoting Slimming World ( i am a member & have lost 11st) but the method of eating is what i like...

There are days, when stuffing a cushion comes to mind, i can eat anything and not feel full, but on others i can have my 3 meals and the odd snack of fruit or veggies, or Hi-Fi Bar and get full extremely quickly..

I drink a lot of water around 2 litres a day, as it is good for you, but ok i gain or lose weight but eventually it comes off...

It is the lifestyles that we lead, that causes us to snack, whilst on the move, bread, sweets, chocolate etc.. it is all carbs and sugar and it affects us all!!!

I was the worst, driving all the time, breakfast and tea (dinner) was the only 2 meals that i would have normally, but i'd snack in-between, calling at garages etc buying sugary foods etc.. it doesn't help with your weight... But i started to carry a small portable fridge in my car-boot packed with pre-paired fruit in boxes, diet drinks or water, and non-sugary snacks so i could still eat healthly whilst driving..

So i changed my eating habits eventually joining Slimming World and as they say the rest is history..

If you think that you want to lose weight, think carefully of how you go about it, as too great a weightloss in a short period of time will end up with you putting double that amount back on!!

The chinese eat rice and other vegetables with minimal amounts of meat, Have you ever seen a fat chinese person, unless they are Westernised??

I have loads of recipes if anyone wants idea's for meals.. just let me know!! or i may start a thread on the Forum for it if i get enough responses..

Reactions: 2 people

m1dpq

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great lot.. Jazz, People who think they are better than others..
When folks like us have diabetes, regardlles of T1 or T2, then when the mention of Diet comes along we all cringe, but in reality its not dieting we need but to change our eating lifestyle..

I'm not promoting Slimming World ( i am a member & have lost 11st) but the method of eating is what i like...

There are days, when stuffing a cushion comes to mind, i can eat anything and not feel full, but on others i can have my 3 meals and the odd snack of fruit or veggies, or Hi-Fi Bar and get full extremely quickly..

I drink a lot of water around 2 litres a day, as it is good for you, but ok i gain or lose weight but eventually it comes off...

It is the lifestyles that we lead, that causes us to snack, whilst on the move, bread, sweets, chocolate etc.. it is all carbs and sugar and it affects us all!!!

I was the worst, driving all the time, breakfast and tea (dinner) was the only 2 meals that i would have normally, but i'd snack in-between, calling at garages etc buying sugary foods etc.. it doesn't help with your weight... But i started to carry a small portable fridge in my car-boot packed with pre-paired fruit in boxes, diet drinks or water, and non-sugary snacks so i could still eat healthly whilst driving..

So i changed my eating habits eventually joining Slimming World and as they say the rest is history..

If you think that you want to lose weight, think carefully of how you go about it, as too great a weightloss in a short period of time will end up with you putting double that amount back on!!

The chinese eat rice and other vegetables with minimal amounts of meat, Have you ever seen a fat chinese person, unless they are Westernised??

I have loads of recipes if anyone wants idea's for meals.. just let me know!! or i may start a thread on the Forum for it if i get enough responses..

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Confucius comes to mind

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

AngelaY

I don't know if it's because I'm type 1 diabetic or is there not much fat to lose on me. But I eat really low carb the only carb I eat are probably nuts. I don't eat bread rice pasta or anything close to that and I except code almost everyday. But I don't think I lost any weight :( guys any suggestions or ideas??? Pls help

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As off this morning I am no longer obese, just over weight and I am exactly 4 stone down from diagnoses. Celebrated by eating a 100g bag of peanuts rofl. Will make sure I do not weigh myself tomorrow :bag:

Reactions: 4 people