How the diabetes forum has helped

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As its diabetes week, we've taken a look at how the forum has helped people over the years. We are extremely proud of how it has increased people's knowledge of diabetes, and how it has brought people together - we hope this will continue!
foruminfographic.png

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It certainly helped me. I got lots of useful advice, pointed in the direction of useful video presentations and have got lots of great recipes to try.

Thanks to all of you who set up and maintain the forums; keep up the good work.

Reactions: 14 people

lizzi51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I certainly appreciate the forum, with its great community, ready to help and full of sensible advice based on their own experience. A big thank you to those who run the forum and provide us with this.

Reactions: 10 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This site has been very special to me, although I haven't posted for some time, I have always been observing what has been going on over the past months. I have had a particularly hard year with losing my Mum last August and my Father-in-law in November, I just haven't had time to get so involved. However, the advice on here is absolutely amazing and has kept me on track during a very stressful period in my life, and for that I am forever grateful.

Reactions: 15 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Zand, I know I haven't posted for a while, but I have been keeping up to date with you all on a regular basis, but just feld awkard posting after such a long time.

No need to feel awkward, there are many reasons that people don't post on sites for a while.

Sorry to hear of your losses; a very sressfull time and we all know what stress hormones do to your glucose levels. Hope thgings are feeling better for you, it takes time for the pain to lessen.

Nice to see you back.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What I've found great about the forum is the number of people interested in the more technical details of how various aspects of diabetes work, from Insulin to monitoring to hormones. It has encouraged me to ask more questions, do more research and get myself more involved in the wider diabetes community as someone who can help increase the collective knowledge from outside the existing research base.

It has also given me a lot of things to discuss with NHS representatives that they have never thought about.

Reactions: 10 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No need to feel awkward, there are many reasons that people don't post on sites for a while.

Sorry to hear of your losses; a very sressfull time and we all know what stress hormones do to your glucose levels. Hope thgings are feeling better for you, it takes time for the pain to lessen.

Nice to see you back.

Thanks Arab Horse for your kind words, yes I am feeling much better now and glad to be back on track, just had my HbA1c test results and they are fine, so feeling much more positive.

Kind Regards

Marilyn x

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I have not posted much I have looked at the forums most days since diagnosis in March this year. I think without the support and reassurance I find here Id have found it difficult and depressing when faced with all the odd looks and negative comments I've had about my "fad" diet (LCHF)

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, it is lovely to hear everyone shared experiences.
I found the forum completely by accident as I was googling information about diabetes c g m s. It's funny when I look back before the forum I coped as ok as you can do but often felt not understood too much about it like hypos what they do, but more how they make me feel more in particular afterwards. I have found a lot of people think it's take your insulin fix and hypos and hypers and your be fine. It's so much more! And I feel it's insulting for people to say that! Any way passing rant I find myself when feeling alone wandering the forum for someone who can empathy and help me practically. The forum and the people on here are so helpful and my big support. Thank you all

Reactions: 6 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I have not posted much I have looked at the forums most days since diagnosis in March this year. I think without the support and reassurance I find here Id have found it difficult and depressing when faced with all the odd looks and negative comments I've had about my "fad" diet (LCHF)

Hi Potteron, welcome to the Forum. Don't you worry about what people say about your "fad" diet. At the end of the day all those people will realise on day that the LC/HF diet is a healthy diet for everyone not just diabetics. We will have the last laugh, so keep your chin up and carry on doing what you are doing and stay healthy.

Keep browsing and posting you will get all the support you need on here.

Take care

Marilyn x

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Hi folks. This forum has helped me a lot with issues relating to diabetes or other things lol. When I was at my lowest with high BGs, rotten HbA1c's and poor health in general associated with poorly controlled diabetes I found friends and good advice and was glad of the support. Now things are on the up I still like to contribute whether it be advice, questions or just friendly chit chat. A very positive experience for me. New members just need to get involved and stick with the forum and get as much out of it as possible. Thanks to all the other members x

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
This forum has helped me become a much healthier person.
The knowledge I have gained here I share with people in real life and se them benefit.
If I hadn't found this place I would be getting fatter and sicker and taking ever more medication.
My surgery are amazed how quickly I turned T2 around to being almost none diabetic.
Thanks everyone.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know it's no longer diabetes week but I just want to add how happy I am now I've discovered this forum. My meter testing was at one stage showing bg 22.5. This morning it is showing bg 6.7.
My amateur attempt of the lchf diet and now calorie watching too. I'm happy to say I feel healthier and a bit lighter. (weighing myself today at boots)
I think just the support and addition knowledge empowers me in the fight with type 2 diabetes with my other disorders.
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who participates here!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What I've found great about the forum is the number of people interested in the more technical details of how various aspects of diabetes work, from Insulin to monitoring to hormones. It has encouraged me to ask more questions, do more research and get myself more involved in the wider diabetes community as someone who can help increase the collective knowledge from outside the existing research base.

It has also given me a lot of things to discuss with NHS representatives that they have never thought about.
You are definatley the man of technical reasoning. I am very interested in finding the how's and whys. I always like your posts. I have a ton of stuff figured out but there is always more to learn

I enjoy seeing everyone's personal experiences but the best is knowing I am NEVER alone

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In October 2013 I was persuaded to have a look at this forum and my endocrinologist and his dietician wanted me to cut back on my carb intake drastically.

Due to my ever curious nature, I have scanned the net trying to find something that actually works for me and my weird condition.

The only place where I could find total honesty, experience and support was this place. Without the knowledge I have gleaned, there was no way I could be as healthy as I am today.

Myself and another poster set up with the help of the admin and Giverney amongst others our own forum were we meet and greet and pass on our own knowledge to those who need answers and advise.

Sometimes I feel as if I've let the hounds out and sometimes my self belief has been boosted by having the confidence to answer questions about how we can control these conditions.

This is a great place to be.

Reactions: NitinHP