Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @NewTD2

As a diet only t2 diabetic - can you please explain why you are posting this content about insulin injections in the 'Parents' section of the site ?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @NewTD2

As a diet only t2 diabetic - can you please explain why you are posting this content about insulin injections in the 'Parents' section of the site ?

I read awhile ago about a parent saying that their child was bleeding and it might be due to incorrect way of giving insulin injection.

Saw this video from the NHS and it might help.

On the other hand if it is not helpful, please remove the video.

Just trying to be helpful that’s all.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It's great that you want to help, but as you simply posted this video without a comment then how would this parent see the post unless you tagged them, also would you be able to verify if the content was suitable based on your experience ? All insulin dependent diabetics are trained by their DSN's to administer injections, it would be useful if you see posts like this in future to tag insulin dependent diabetics to respond .

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's great that you want to help, but as you simply posted this video without a comment then how would this parent see the post unless you tagged them, also would you be able to verify if the content was suitable based on your experience ? All insulin dependent diabetics are trained by their DSN's to administer injections, it would be useful if you see posts like this in future to tag insulin dependent diabetics to respond .

Understood thank you

justadad

Hi,
A question about the guidance in this video.
Why would one need to do the air shot with the needle facing the ceiling? If the reason is to eliminate any air in the pen, then it never worked for me. Every time I tried to do that, there was still air in the pen. What I taught my child, which is probably wrong, :( is to keep the needle facing the floor, not the ceiling, and whatever air remains in the pen, will always remain in the pen, and discard the pen when it is near the 20 unit mark.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
A question about the guidance in this video.
Why would one need to do the air shot with the needle facing the ceiling? If the reason is to eliminate any air in the pen, then it never worked for me. Every time I tried to do that, there was still air in the pen. What I taught my child, which is probably wrong, :( is to keep the needle facing the floor, not the ceiling, and whatever air remains in the pen, will always remain in the pen, and discard the pen when it is near the 20 unit mark.
Hi,

The trick is to "prime the needle" & bleeding as much air out of the cartridge as possible in the upwards position.
Think of an airlock in the breaking system on a car? Spongy a little late to respond...

With a dose of insulin from a pen with a massive air bubble cushioning twix the ram & the fluid, there can be a simalar issue regarding the correct dose.?
Trapped air is alway at the top when the needle points up, thus a means of expelling through the needle. (The only escape route!)

Stephen_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
fake sugar
I read awhile ago about a parent saying that their child was bleeding and it might be due to incorrect way of giving insulin injection.

Saw this video from the NHS and it might help.

On the other hand if it is not helpful, please remove the video.

Just trying to be helpful that’s all.
Very helpful video, thanks for engaging with others and posting it.