1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How to Lower A1c

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by NewTD2, Nov 13, 2017.

1. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

How do you lower a1c?
    You lower your a1c the same as you lower your blood glucose.

1. Cut back on the carbohydrate foods by focusing on eating the right type of carbohydrates!
    2. Exercise regularly
    3. Live a healthy lifestyle
    Yes, I know, you probably get sick and tired of hearing that stuff but this is not rocket science, it comes down to commitment, determination, and work (yes work). Eating well does take a little bit of focus but is well worth the effort for the great results you can achieve.

2. librarising

librarising LADA · Well-Known Member

I realise it was simply an oversight on your part, but you forgot to add :

4. Use your meter to test which acceptable carbohydrates are PERSONAL no-nos, and which can be tolerated.

;) Geoff

• Like Like x 1
  3. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Intermittent fasting, e.g. 16:8 or 5:2 can also help you reduce A1C and lose weight if you are type 2. About 80% of people diagnosed with type 2 are overweight or obese.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Hmmm
    My mantra would be

Cut down on all carbohydrates go as close to zero as you are able (try under 20g per day)
    Exercise if you want to and can but it's not essential
    Fast sometimes - it will help a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. oldsle

oldsle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the Yummly app. Just do a search for keto or low-carb, and you'll find tons of great recipes. Or find a recipe you like and make your own version.

6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Ah - potatoes and underground veges up to 20 percent in the low carb side? They aren't on my menu.
    Fruits over 5 percent - very limited.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook