1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How to manage d2 when on a no carb diet and GP wants me on 3 different medication

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Annina, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

The original rye Finn crispbread are 7.9 gm each according to the information I found - so half a dozen of those is almost 50 gm of carb. The multigrain are almost as high - unless there is another sort those are quite high carb if you are eating them every day. Many people can manage their levels on that but I am more sensitive to carbs from grain, and it would be too high for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The harvest slims are 3.8g per slice.

3. Resurgam

Ah - yes - sorry - they did not appear in my search.
    I was wondering if it was an error such as deducting fibre when it was already net carbs.
    The medication seems to be those which hammer insulin out of a failing pancreas - might it be an idea to see if that is not an option and you need insulin?

4. Annina

Annina Type 2 · Member

That describes my GP and he does not believe in Carb free diets or the patient taking control...
    Annina

5. Annina

Annina Type 2 · Member

Had a look at previous tests and I have not had a C peptide test at all

6. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Then it’s definitely appropriate. Increasing need for meds and lack of control by low carb that previously worked means one of two things. You have either become much more resistant to insulin and adding more will make likely things worse and reducing that resistance, infections or meds that raise numbers would be the better focus or you are simply not making enough and you need that insulin. Knowing which is important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Annina, I know it's hard but it matters not what your Dr prefers, he can eat what he likes as can you. YOU decide what diet you want to follow and as for you trying to manage your diabetes to the Drs tune, HE is supposed to be managing your medication to YOUR approach. x

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. xfieldok

Can you get the test done privately?

9. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Do ask for a C-Peptide test as there is a hint that you may be LADA. A high reading implies T2 with a good level of insulin whereas a low reading means your beta cells are not doing their job hence you need insulin and LADA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Thomas the Tank

Thomas the Tank Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is 61g per 100 (61%) but 3,8 g per slice

11. xfieldok

@Thomas the Tank, yes, the Tesco info I saw first was wrong and quoted per slice. Got better info from Ocado. They are on my next shopping list!

12. Damtov8

Damtov8 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I looked up the Finn crisps and it is actually showing 61 g per slice!

13. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think that's a mistake, on the Finns crisps website it shows as 61g per 100g or 3.8g carbs per slice, as @xfieldok stated it was showing wrong on the Tesco site at least, so that maybe what you're looking at or somewhere making a similar mistake.

14. Damtov8

But it is actually 61 g/ hundred grams which means that 2/3 of it is approximately pure carbohydrate. apart from that there is another problem which will cause you to become unwell and that is that it is a grain, grains cause inflammation, inflammation makes diabetes worse. But not charity that, get yourself a scale and weigh out 100 g and you will see that you are eating for more than you think. I wouldn’t touch it with the barge pole !

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Damtov8

16. Resurgam

The crispbreads will be about 2/3rds starch - so way over what I'd ever consider eating. The individual slices must be very light and small. Hang on - if one slice is about 4 gm of carb, and it is 2/3rds carb then a slice would weigh 6 gm so a pack of 200gm would contain approximately 30 slices? Is that right?

17. brooker

brooker · Member

Hi,
    I've been on 2000mg of Metformin, twice a day for several years, before I started my current regime, when my blood sugar reading was 42.0 and supposed to have been enough to kill me - too tough for that. I felt fine.
    On my current regime, I take 1000mg Metformin morning and 1000mg Metformin at night although my Diabetes Doctor has suggested that I can increase my Metformin tablets up to 2000mg twice a day (what I was on before), however, so far, that has not been necessary.
    You can read more of my diet, below, as I see each post I make goes to the top of this page and I've written quite a lot.
    You might also check out my suggestions for the flu and the Coronavirus Pandemic and a possible cure.
    Since I've not had Coronavirus and don't expect to catch it, I can't say my cure won't work any more than I can say with confidence that it will.
    Still, nothing ventured nothing gained and it is always a good idea to have a fall back plan against whatever the future might hold and how you deal with it.
    Best Wishes

18. brooker

brooker · Member

Um, I forgot to mention - drink lots of water.
    The water here tastes foul, so I flavor it with sugar free cordial to taste.
    Best Wishes

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook