Type 2 How to read/interpret the result of Ac1Now

lsusianty

Hi everyone, I've just bought a home test kit Ac1Now. However, I don't know how to read the result. The result of the last test I did at home with Ac1Now was 5.1 and then I went to my GP for another test, and they said the result of my HbA1c was 4.8. I know the self-test kit probably is not 100% accurate, but I need to know whether the self-test kit and the test at the GP use the same system? Thank you for your help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I've just bought a home test kit Ac1Now. However, I don't know how to read the result. The result of the last test I did at home with Ac1Now was 5.1 and then I went to my GP for another test, and they said the result of my HbA1c was 4.8. I know the self-test kit probably is not 100% accurate, but I need to know whether the self-test kit and the test at the GP use the same system? Thank you for your help.

Hi,

I'm no expert.
But i would guess the bloods taken at the GP are sent to a lab with less chance of contamination regarding the "protocols" & technique involved?

Reactions: lsusianty

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the AC1Now website.....

The A1c Now® SELF CHECK has been certified by the National Glycohaemoglobin Standardisation Program (NGSP) which develops standards for A1c tests. The NGSP ensures that A1c results are comparable to the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT).

It is unlikely that your A1c Now® result will match the A1c result obtained from your medical professional or laboratory. In these clinical environments, different technologies from the A1c Now® SELF CHECK are used to determine your A1c. Every test, be it laboratory to home testing has a degree of variation. The A1c Now® result can differ from -11 to +9 mmol/mol from your true A1c result. This means that if you have a true A1c of 53 mmol/mol, the A1c Now® SELF CHECK result may be between 42 to 62 mmol/mol

It is very important that you discuss the use of this test and test results with your medical/healthcare professional, especially if the result widely differ from the results obtained in clinical settings such as laboratories. Do not make any changes to your treatment, lifestyle or diet based on the A1c Now® SELF CHECK without consulting your doctor. These tests do not replace regular blood glucose monitoring or the doctor’s advice/treatment plan.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I did at home with Ac1Now was 5.1 and then I went to my GP for another test, and they said the result of my HbA1c was 4.8.
Assuming that these are %s and you haven't just misplaced a decimal point, they correspond to mmol/mol figures of 28 and 32. Those are well within the error range quoted by @Mr_Pot and are non diabetic levels.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add that the error range I mentioned above seems to me to make the AC1Now useless for most people. Suppose the true HbA1c was 48 then the AC1Now could show 37 (not diabetic) to 57 (definitely diabetic).

lsusianty

From the AC1Now website.....

The A1c Now® SELF CHECK has been certified by the National Glycohaemoglobin Standardisation Program (NGSP) which develops standards for A1c tests. The NGSP ensures that A1c results are comparable to the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT).

It is unlikely that your A1c Now® result will match the A1c result obtained from your medical professional or laboratory. In these clinical environments, different technologies from the A1c Now® SELF CHECK are used to determine your A1c. Every test, be it laboratory to home testing has a degree of variation. The A1c Now® result can differ from -11 to +9 mmol/mol from your true A1c result. This means that if you have a true A1c of 53 mmol/mol, the A1c Now® SELF CHECK result may be between 42 to 62 mmol/mol

It is very important that you discuss the use of this test and test results with your medical/healthcare professional, especially if the result widely differ from the results obtained in clinical settings such as laboratories. Do not make any changes to your treatment, lifestyle or diet based on the A1c Now® SELF CHECK without consulting your doctor. These tests do not replace regular blood glucose monitoring or the doctor’s advice/treatment plan.

Thank you. I just feel it is confusing, as there are different scale used. My GP only gave me a number: 4.8 and I would like to be able to convert it to A1C Now self-check result or the other way around.

lsusianty

Just to add that the error range I mentioned above seems to me to make the AC1Now useless for most people. Suppose the true HbA1c was 48 then the AC1Now could show 37 (not diabetic) to 57 (definitely diabetic).

Absolutely confusing! What people do normally to have a more accurate and regular check? It seems my GP doesn't want to me to check too often.

lsusianty

Assuming that these are %s and you haven't just misplaced a decimal point, they correspond to mmol/mol figures of 28 and 32. Those are well within the error range quoted by @Mr_Pot and are non diabetic levels.

MY GP has definitely said that I am diabetic. As there were no further explanation, they only said it is 4.8. :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MY GP has definitely said that I am diabetic. As there were no further explanation, they only said it is 4.8. :)
It is always best to see the actual figures and the units for test results. If you are in the UK you should be able to register to get results on line or at least ask for a printout.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely confusing! What people do normally to have a more accurate and regular check? It seems my GP doesn't want to me to check too often.

Hi theree, for me, the A1cNow test is very accurate. I have done several on the same day as a surgery blood draw, so to timing variables, and it has always matched or been +/-0.1%. I can live with that.

How far apart were the test you did at home, and that which the GP did?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Hba1c is a measure of the rough average over about the past 3 months. Depending on your level most GPs only like to do them every year.
For daily checks its better to use a blood glucose monitor by finger pricks and strips . Most GPS won't provide these either, but the meter is often thrown in for free when you buy pots of strips.
@Rachox has info for you.
At first you might want to check before and after every meal but once you learn what foods are good for your bg, and which aren't, you won't need to test so often.
Note the meters report in different units so they don't compare directly to an Hba1c test

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, thanks for the tag @MrsA2

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips (which I have used in the past but I don’t know if they still work)

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think these are good for getting a baseline. When I have used many times I get between 31 and 32 mmol/L, which is around 3.5 mmol/L off of medichecks assay 1 and around 7-8 off of the NHS assay and medichecks assay 2.

I use all 3 to measure variances in their respective readings, along with finger prick / Freestyle Libre occasional results.