How to stop the sugar cravings

HJM2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been diagnosed as type 1 lada. I am a massive sugar addict and struggling to stop eating so much sugar. Any suggestions for alternative "sweet" foods. For reference I had a magnum for breakfast

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been diagnosed as type 1 lada. I am a massive sugar addict and struggling to stop eating so much sugar. Any suggestions for alternative "sweet" foods. For reference I had a magnum for breakfast
Hi HJM2019 - welcome to the forums.

I'm not the right person to reply to the "sweet food" issue. No sugar jelly is as far as I go. I'm sure others will be able to help.

I did notice that your description says Type 2, but in your post you say you're Type 1 LADA. If the LADA is correct, I'd advise amending your description to avoid confusion.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

HJM2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh thanks how do I change as I joined before they officially diagnosed m

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oh thanks how do I change as I joined before they officially diagnosed m
If you click your username/avatar at the top right of the screen you can go into "account details". which has options for diabetes type and medication about half way down the page.

ps and welcome to the forums.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A Magnum for breakfast! Nice :)

For breakfast today I had fibre enriched "rice bubbles" (not that brand and not called that, but that's what they are) with a spoonfull of psyllium husk (this adds more fibre and slows down my BSL peak, but I mainly add it because I like how it makes the milk thick like a thickshake) with 2 teaspoons of sugar-free drinking chocolate. Not quite a Magnum but... almost?? :) Like cocoa pops anyway

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there - Do you feel you have a problem with sugar, or are you just trying to eat in a more traditionally healthy way?

If you have real sugar cravings, my feel would be that the craving is a bit of a rebound from your last hit, a bit like happens with other addictive substances. I'm not saying you are addicted to sugar, or anything else for that matter, but it can be addictive.

For me, if I want to break that sort of cycle (which wouldn't tend to be sugar for me), I'll avoid it for a while. So my steer would be to think of an alternative breakfast - maybe eggs and bacon, or a sausage sarnie (just examples) and see how you go. For me, the protein things, like meat, eggs and cheeses leave me feeling fuller longer, so less likely to need anything else.

Reactions: plantae

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reply @AndBreathe has made me realise I made a mistake. I don't have what I described above for breakfast every single day, it just happened that I did today. And it does taste like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy. I think the drinking chocolate has Stevia in it rather than sugar but it tastes ok to me. I just realised though that eating a breakfast like I described would not likely help break a habit of eating sweet things if that's what you are aiming for. I have it as a treat, sort of. Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have something like the above every maybe every 3rd day. I now usually have microwaved scrambled eggs and toast most mornings. Microwaved eggs because I'm lazy in the mornings, it takes 30-40 seconds and it doesn't create any additional washing up :)

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reply @AndBreathe has made me realise I made a mistake. I don't have what I described above for breakfast every single day, it just happened that I did today. And it does taste like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy. I think the drinking chocolate has Stevia in it rather than sugar but it tastes ok to me. I just realised though that eating a breakfast like I described would not likely help break a habit of eating sweet things if that's what you are aiming for. I have it as a treat, sort of. Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have something like the above every maybe every 3rd day. I now usually have microwaved scrambled eggs and toast most mornings. Microwaved eggs because I'm lazy in the mornings, it takes 30-40 seconds and it doesn't create any additional washing up :)
No worries. No need to apologise to me.

we all handle our conditions differently. I’m sure some folks deal with them very differently to me, and who says who is right.

im fortunate chocolate in particular has never been my thing. Salsa and Mesquite Kettle Chips? Now you’re talking, although I don’t recall them at breakfast time. :)

• Funny
Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Realising you are now lada, so might not be applicable.

But as T2D I found myself wanting something sweet.

Blueberries hit the mark nicely.

And a 'no added sugar jelly' surprisingly with Greek yoghurt, was a nice 'sweet' hit.

I'll admit i don't really have a traditional sweet tooth, just caved to a craving, so may not be sweet enough for you.

Good finding things that do work.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I still haven't got rid of my sweet tooth - after years of yo-yo dieting and trying to break it. I didn't try this time round so swapped to stevia or erythritol instead, but have found foods are now too sweet for me so cut the sweetener in low-carb cakes by at least a 1/3.
I managed after a struggle to move from dairy milk to liking 85% chocolate too.