Hunger

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is always hunger.
When I first began glargine I had not heard of fasting. But my legs started hurting and extreme hunger began. I blame the glargine because it goes away. If I stop using it.
I'm still hungry but it's not extreme and food resolves it.
Have you tried playing around with macro ratios for protein and fat, seeing if upping intake of one or the other helps?

Appreciate this is likely caused by medication so maybe that won't work for your situation, but on keto levels of carb intake I've had to adjust fat and protein levels a few times now to balance out hunger as various other factors change. I've also increased fibre intake too, which although not easy on keto, has helped.

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Have you tried playing around with macro ratios for protein and fat, seeing if upping intake of one or the other helps?

Appreciate this is likely caused by medication so maybe that won't work for your situation, but on keto levels of carb intake I've had to adjust fat and protein levels a few times now to balance out hunger as various other factors change. I've also increased fibre intake too, which although not easy on keto, has helped.
I haven't tried that.
Can mineral oil be used for fibre?

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What is glargine? And rybelsus?

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When you do low carb, you get a lot of calories from fat. As long as it’s minimally processed (so not highly processed seed oils or trans fats) then it’s fine. I use mainly olive oil and butter.

Fat carries flavour and is highly satiating.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
So not feeling well.
I can't figure out the ryebelsus and insulin amounts of food. For example the insulin makes me very hungry but the ryebelsus bloats me. So I try to eat to stop the insulin hunger but then am too full and bloated. I can't get the balance right.
Way way too full after eating but yet still very hungry.
Then I don't feel well.

Case_

Apart from following what is now usually called intermittent fasting for several years (and I do need to get back to it now, I stopped because it didn't work well with my medication at the time), I also did week-long fasts on multiple points in my life - not for any real reason apart from "I wonder if I could (still) do it" (and yes, it's kinda dumb and I wouldn't really recommend anyone doing such relatively long fasts on their own, but...yeah). Each time I did it I was surprised how little hunger I felt near the end, and even the first few days, which are always the hardest, were way easier than I thought they would be.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's great that there are quite a few people on here saying that they do not experience hunger.
However, we seem to forget that we are all different. Just because Jane feels no hunger, needs a certain amount of food, take a specific medication, ... does not mean it will work for Tom.

Sadly, I do not have the answer for @cdpm but I am starting to wonder the value of the "I feel fine fasting for 18 hours, 24 hours, a week, ... " responses.
There are medical conditions such as polyphagia when someone never feels full. It is horrible for those who suffer from it and reading "I am alright, mate" is not helpful. I am not saying this is the case her but maybe some more sympathy/empathy maybe more helpful.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm certainly one who gets very hungry, and I don't have a medical condition at all. Intermittent fasting suits me, but I don't endure once I get hungry - I eat. That can be for me an average of 16 hours between meals, often 20, occasionally longer. Depends on the system on the day.