Husband recently diagnosed with type 2 need some help

mother36

My husband has recently been diagnosed with type 2 ,
He likes a lager or 3 or 4 or lots more ,
can anybody tell me whether fosters or John Smiths extra smooth is the best to drink ?
Please help

D

Deleted member 308541

can anybody tell me whether fosters or John Smiths extra smooth is the best to drink ?
Please help
Nobody drinks Fosters lager, except for foreign tourists in Australia. Having drunk it in the UK I would go for for the John Smiths.

mother36

Nobody drinks Fosters lager, except for foreign tourists in Australia. Having drunk it in the UK I would go for for the John Smiths.
Thank you , he wasn't sure what would contain more sugar , the lager , ( does not have to be fosters , could be
carling , etc or the John smith's extra smooth, i have tried looking on all sorts of websites but cannot find out
thanks

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not a beer or lager drinker but from I understand, it’s all very high carb. Best to stick to spirits and diet mixers or wine

Reactions: Ponchu

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there, @mother36 - Beer can be a bit tricky for T2s, as almost all beers contain a fair amount of carbs, which convert to sugars, as we digest them.

Looks like John Smiths is around 15gr per pint, with Fosters coming in at 17.6gr. If he's having 3 or 4, that tots up a bit for most folks trying to manage theor condition, using diet or milder meds.

Many folks find a glass of wine, or spirits are easier for their diabetes.

mother36

I am getting a bit confused as on a drinks website it sasy;s he following for John Smiths
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1 can (440 ml) per serveKilojoules552 kjCalories132 kcalProtein0 gCarbohydrate0 g Sugar0 gFat0 g Saturated Fat0 gFibre0 gSodium0 mg

So i though that meant it had no carbs , sorry ,!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting a bit confused as on a drinks website it sasy;s he following for John Smiths
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1 can (440 ml) per serveKilojoules552 kjCalories132 kcalProtein0 gCarbohydrate0 g Sugar0 gFat0 g Saturated Fat0 gFibre0 gSodium0 mg

This is from their own website: https://johnsmiths.co.uk/nutrition/

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Here is the nutritional info from John Smiths own website:
https://johnsmiths.co.uk/nutrition/
Also if your husband is on Metformin, he needs to know the risks of taking it with alcohol. Lactic acidosis is a rare but very serious condition:
https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/metformin-alcohol

Edit, @Antje77 snap!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Whoever completed that information was clearly only interested in the calorie content. There is always sugar and carbs in beer. You really do have to be careful with websites like that when all the information is entered by Jo Public.

D

Deleted member 308541

Whoever completed that information was clearly only interested in the calorie content. There is always sugar and carbs in beer. You really do have to be careful with websites like that when all the information is entered by Jo Public.
This the nutrition info from John smiths website.

https://johnsmiths.co.uk/nutrition/

Edit: I did not see the other post with the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@mother36 Also note that the nutritional info on John Smiths website is per 100ml, and a pint is 568ml, so there is some maths involved (so for the Smooth and Original (can and keg) that makes it virtually 15 carbs per pint)

Edit (much later than original post): 568ml is a UK pint, US pints are smaller at only 473ml

Last edited:

Ponchu

I’m not a beer or lager drinker but from I understand, it’s all very high carb. Best to stick to spirits and diet mixers or wine

I said goodbye to ales.

It is carbs on steroids and the U.K. ones were only standards to my home brewing.

I once made oatmeal stout.

I forgot about a case and discovered it 3 or 4 years later.

It was the smoothest most wonderful stout I’d ever tasted.

Oh, the memories!

I should stop now.